IGNORED

Convert EA3 to EA5 / run EA3 from cassette in XB?

jrhodes

Is there anyway to convert a EA3 program into a EA5 program?

I have some programs that i want to try out on my real TI, but i can not figure out how i would load them.

I am probably sounding like a broken record but, as i have said many times, i only have wav/tape + 32k + and XB, no disks, not FG99, no TiPi.

I have had success using cass24k2 to load longer XB programs in int/var format that would normally be impossible from tape, and for Assembly programs, i have to use the Funnelweb cassette loader to load EA5 files.

I have a small collection of programs in EA3, and if anyone could help this die hard cassette user load them on real iron, i would be very grateful.

I am not familiar with Funnelweb. I believe the EA5 loader expects the first line of the loaded program to be the "entry point"... since this is not common for most programs, a branch to the entry point must be "inserted" at the beginning of the program... this is probably beyond the scope of a simple edit to the tagged obj. code...

Perhaps a conversion utility could be written... although I suppose the user would have to indicate the correct program name.

I imagine you envision converting on an emulator.

I think Step 1 might be to disassemble... 2. edit, inserting the branch line and the SFIRST,SLAST,SLOAD labels... 3. reassemble... 4. load, load and run the SAVE utility from E/A DISK B. specifying CS1(MESS).

Are these on tape?

No they are in .dsk files.

What are the DF/80 files youre looking to convert?

Give me a little bit, i will upload them.

Here they are on a .dsk file:

badwalls ;program name is MERLIN

bomber ;program name is BOMBER

the others i believe autostart after inputting filename:

as-TI-roids

arthropod

breakout

cubit

dragon

dstation

froghaven

slymoids

ATARIAGE.dsk

Edited by jrhodes

Is there anyway to convert a EA3 program into a EA5 program?

I have some programs that i want to try out on my real TI, but i can not figure out how i would load them.

I am probably sounding like a broken record but, as i have said many times, i only have wav/tape + 32k + and XB, no disks, not FG99, no TiPi.

I have had success using cass24k2 to load longer XB programs in int/var format that would normally be impossible from tape, and for Assembly programs, i have to use the Funnelweb cassette loader to load EA5 files.

I have a small collection of programs in EA3, and if anyone could help this die hard cassette user load them on real iron, i would be very grateful.

It's possible, I have done it, and in 1986 I wrote a utility "Supersave" that automated the process of making an EA5 from multiple EA3 files.

It worked by checking the next free address pointers in high RAM before and after loading.

It would not handle programs that load into low RAM, code that is not simply relocatable object code, or programs that depend on having the E/A utilities in low RAM.

If I were writing it today, I would make a complete new loader that handled all these issues correctly.

Finding my original program Supersave has been tough.. I have a bunch of ARC files that I can't seem to open.

• Like 2

I'm happy that this worked for you. I can take a look at the games that didn't convert to see what's up there. Are those the versions from Gamebase or somewhere? Maybe a new version of Supersave is in order...

Just now, my desk holds only a cassette based 4A (lots of Mini Memory and LLBA from cassette, I mean WAV file), so I may have a go at the Funlweb cassette loader.

Separate thread for Supersave: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287103-supersave-save-ea3-files-as-ea5-files/

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 1

I'm happy that this worked for you. I can take a look at the games that didn't convert to see what's up there. Are those the versions from Gamebase or somewhere? Maybe a new version of Supersave is in order...

Just now, my desk holds only a cassette based 4A (lots of Mini Memory and LLBA from cassette, I mean WAV file), so I may have a go at the Funlweb cassette loader.

Separate thread for Supersave: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287103-supersave-save-ea3-files-as-ea5-files/

The games are from whtech ftp. Part of the tosec disk collection.

... I think...

Actually, i just noticed my converted copy of badwalls is not working today.

I converted and tested all the programs in a single session of classic99.

Today, i go to load badwalls in classic99 via E.A. option 5, and it hangs at a green screen.

If i convert it with supersave, and immediately go back and select option 5, i can boot the converted program.

Not tried the other programs i converted, not sure if its just that one program or if all of them are potentially trashed.

-------------

OK, just checked, and badwalls is the only converted program to not boot/hangs on a cold boot from E.A.

I have not tested loading these on my real TI from XB using the funnelweb cassette loader.

Getting ready to convert them to wav files via CS1 later today.

Edited by jrhodes

The games are from whtech ftp. Part of the tosec disk collection.

... I think...

Actually, i just noticed my converted copy of badwalls is not working today.

I converted and tested all the programs in a single session of classic99.

Today, i go to load badwalls in classic99 via E.A. option 5, and it hangs at a green screen.

If i convert it with supersave, and immediately go back and select option 5, i can boot the converted program.

Not tried the other programs i converted, not sure if its just that one program or if all of them are potentially trashed.

-------------

OK, just checked, and badwalls is the only converted program to not boot/hangs on a cold boot from E.A.

I have not tested loading these on my real TI from XB using the funnelweb cassette loader.

Getting ready to convert them to wav files via CS1 later today.

OK, badwalls may rely on something particular to E/A default setup, or load something somewhere (low memory) that Supersave can't detect.

I am happy to go in there and see what it is.

I have noticed graphic glitches with some programs after using super to convert them.

Cubit, and breakout are missing the copyright character.

Cubit, orignal E.A. #3 version:

post-64087-0-39984000-1547688503.png

Cubit, converted to E.A. #5 with super save, loaded from E.A.:

post-64087-0-57580200-1547688504.png

Cubit, converted to E.A. #5 with super save, loaded from TI XB using Funnelweb cassette loader:

post-64087-0-01936100-1547688504.png

Dstation has a glitch near the troops remaining display: (seems the glitch disappears after losing a life)

post-64087-0-66504700-1547688165.png

I have noticed graphic glitches with some programs after using super to convert them.

Cubit, and breakout are missing the copyright character.

It looks like the programs assume that E/A has set up things in the VDP.

In particular, the char defs (with a © character that's not from the console char defs), color table, screen color in VDP register 7.

In the case of D-station, it looks like an extra sprite, so that game may assume E/A has put sensible starting values in the sprite table.

Its possible that Fweb cassette loader tries to set up the VDP to match the E/A environment (it gets the color), and leaves some differences.

It would take a special loader that uses the principle used in the playground loader, which can run assembly language on an unexpanded console. Probably the best approach would be to write the loader embedded in a short BASIC program. When it runs it could copy itself to a safe location in VDP ram and from there would be able to load the EA5 files from cassette and start the program up.