IGNORED

The Retron 77 and using paddles.

GradualGames

Has anyone else tried to use paddles with the Retron 77?

I have a pair of clean paddles which have zero jitter on my vader.

On the Retron 77, they have jitter.

I've tried other sets of paddles with the same result.

The support team tells me the console needs to be replaced--- I'm not buying it. I just think they never engineered the hardware properly to work with paddles.

Anyone else experience jitter with paddles on retron 77 or are some of you getting buttery smooth operation? If anyone is getting smooth play I might just send it back to hyperkin for a replacement as they suggested....

Has anyone else tried to use paddles with the Retron 77?

I have a pair of clean paddles which have zero jitter on my vader.

On the Retron 77, they have jitter.

I've tried other sets of paddles with the same result.

The support team tells me the console needs to be replaced--- I'm not buying it. I just think they never engineered the hardware properly to work with paddles.

Anyone else experience jitter with paddles on retron 77 or are some of you getting buttery smooth operation? If anyone is getting smooth play I might just send it back to hyperkin for a replacement as they suggested....

I gave mine away because of that issue and a replacement console did fix it.

Ugh, what were the new issues?? I really only care about a handful of games, like Asteroids, Missile Command, Enduro, and then I'd love to be able to play Super Breakout and Warlords.

If that's all you care about then I think the unit will be fine for you as long as you can get your paddles to work. I'm done with Hyperkin.

If that's all you care about then I think the unit will be fine for you as long as you can get your paddles to work. I'm done with Hyperkin.

I've got a vader upstairs with a CRT for everything else, I just have the retron downstairs to enjoy a handful of classics with family and such. So yeah sounds like it may be worth sending in for a replacement.

• Like 1

was going to return, but shipping it back was going to be a hassle as the vendor wanted me to only deal with hyperkin. Anyway, I cracked it open to diagnose it and see whats going on. It was 1 of 2 OBVIOUS possible things. Solder points for the cartridge connector are very crappy with some not soldered at all and some with cold joints. I resoldered them with new solder. second, the ribbon connector that connects the main board to the front switch/ button board was crooked and not seated well. After these were addressed it booted right up and worked fine...............for about an hour. Then it just shut off and wouldn't boot. just a black screen. pulled out the multimeter, and tracked down to the included Micro USB cord being shorted out. wow, what a cheap cable! After replacing the power cord/ supply and the HDMI cord with a quality one it is working and seems to be doing quite well. I LOVE THE COMMUNITY BUILD! great stuff!. Next, Im going to do my test with the paddle controllers to stop the jitter.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any luck yet in getting Atari paddle controllers to work properly on their Retron 77? I’m still on the fence over this one. If paddle compatibility has been sorted, I think I might bite. I want to pick up one of Best Electronics’ refurbished paddle sets with their fancy new pots and have all my Atari paddle concerns be over and done with.

2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I want to pick up one of Best Electronics’ refurbished paddle sets with their fancy new pots and have all my Atari paddle concerns be over and done with.

Just do this anyways, regardless of R77. Brad's new pots truly are the "Best"! :) 

• 1 month later...

I bought a Retron 77, updated to the most recent version of Stella 6.2.1 and plugged the paddles into the front and they did not work.  I went into the settings dialog and it recognized them as paddles, but no movement when I turn them.  I've read in the forms that you could use a USB power adapter Y cable to plug the power into the unit and run the USB to a 2600 dapter with the paddles plugged in and they will work.  To do that you would need to spend another $35-40.  I'm thinking about giving the Ranger controller a try as it's half that price.  I just don't know if it will work with Stella.  Can anyone confirm this?

Glad I found this topic  I'm a newbe and having same issue with hyperkin paddlesd.  Just got a retroN and took it right to 6.2.1.  I originally tried my original atari paddles.  Had movement in ROM screen to select games and start them.  But in game, no movement at all.  So I bought a set of hyperkin paddles.  Only fires, no movement anywhere; nothing in game nor menu.  Got several paddle games I want to play.  small tear rolling down cheek.  And also when I switch it (gyperkin stick/paddle) to sticks only moves to the right.  Once all the way right it stops.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, wfletcher3 said:

Glad I found this topic  I'm a newbe and having same issue with hyperkin paddlesd.  Just got a retroN and took it right to 6.2.1.  I originally tried my original atari paddles.  Had movement in ROM screen to select games and start them.  But in game, no movement at all.  So I bought a set of hyperkin paddles.  Only fires, no movement anywhere; nothing in game nor menu.  Got several paddle games I want to play.  small tear rolling down cheek.  And also when I switch it (gyperkin stick/paddle) to sticks only moves to the right.  Once all the way right it stops.

Same here. Paddles work on on stock firmware (Hyperkin Ranger). After upgrading to latest community build paddles work precisely as you describe. 

I've reverted to the original firmware, since paddle games are the reason I bought the R77. So, do paddles just not work in the community build?

I was talking to Tom at 2600-dapter.  With his dapter and a usb connecter and wire, you can stay on stella 6.2.1.

So on his site (http://www.2600-daptor.com/) I bought the atariD9.  It supports more controllers.  All switches should be in up position.  I also spent $2.50 on a usb cable.  Didn't have one like that.  There's a link there for questions.

I found the other 2 things I needed on amazon.  AuviPal 2-in-1 Micro USB to USB Adapter (OTG Cable + Power Cable) - 2 Pack and Hyperkin Ranger Adapter for Multiple Paddles Compatible with RetroN 77/ Atari 2600 - Not Machine Specific

Hyperkin can't use 2 paddles thru the 2 front db9 connectors on front.  You have to have to use their adapter.

So I hook up the Y cable to the micro connector on the 77.  I then hook up the the plug to one side of the Y and the printer cable to the other.  Then the 2600-dapter to usb and the paddles to that.

I'll know Monday if this works.  My delivery date.

1 hour ago, wfletcher3 said:

I was talking to Tom at 2600-dapter.  With his dapter and a usb connecter and wire, you can stay on stella 6.2.1.

So on his site (http://www.2600-daptor.com/) I bought the atariD9.  It supports more controllers.  All switches should be in up position.  I also spent $2.50 on a usb cable.  Didn't have one like that.  There's a link there for questions.

I found the other 2 things I needed on amazon.  AuviPal 2-in-1 Micro USB to USB Adapter (OTG Cable + Power Cable) - 2 Pack and Hyperkin Ranger Adapter for Multiple Paddles Compatible with RetroN 77/ Atari 2600 - Not Machine Specific

Hyperkin can't use 2 paddles thru the 2 front db9 connectors on front.  You have to have to use their adapter.

So I hook up the Y cable to the micro connector on the 77.  I then hook up the the plug to one side of the Y and the printer cable to the other.  Then the 2600-dapter to usb and the paddles to that.

I'll know Monday if this works.  My delivery date.

Thanks for the response. Indeed, after doing some research I've also purchased a 2600-dapter. I already have the other items you mentioned. Fingers crossed.

Still, I've seen some YouTube videos of folks reviewing the Ranger and they are clearly using the community build. So I'm still not sure what's going on. Maybe an earlier version?

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Since we cannot reproduce the problem, it would help to know with which Stella version the problem started. 

I can tell you, that my paddles didn't work on 6.2.1, but did work on 6.1.1 (with some jitter) if that helps.

I tried with Atari paddles as well as Gemini paddles.

The issues are the same with both sets of paddles.

When playing super breakout for example, the button fires, but the dial is not working, So the ball fires but you can't move the bar to bounce it.

I hope that helps.

10 hours ago, nyhack56 said:

I can tell you, that my paddles didn't work on 6.2.1, but did work on 6.1.1 (with some jitter) if that helps.

I tried with Atari paddles as well as Gemini paddles.

The issues are the same with both sets of paddles.

When playing super breakout for example, the button fires, but the dial is not working, So the ball fires but you can't move the bar to bounce it.

I hope that helps.

I am experiencing the same but with Atari paddles and AtGames paddles.  Using Stella 6.2.1 which is the version I started with.