IGNORED

The Retron 77 and using paddles.

GradualGames

40 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

So there is some bug in Stella 6.2.1 which causes paddles not working? I just tried my new paddles from ebay and it seems not to work. Just fire sometimes work, when I move the cable.

If it works after you move the cable, it is the paddles, not the game.  Sounds like someone on ebay sold you broken paddles.  I would make sure all of the wires inside the paddle are connected and in good condition.  Hope this doc i wrote helps.  What system are you running stella on?

Beginners notes for Stella on Windows and RetroN77.docx

Okay, will check that. It was written on ebay it was "fully tested and working" so I bought it. I am trying it on Retron 77 latest community build and also tried on Flashback X where it was reported working on the forum, but it does nothing.

-KBuwa20jf0ZpynO_g76jrU9wML4giVgPZ0bDT0BDze1BBb-gZa-SH3D-n8Jplq6T6ZHDHdUMuBPxfZWMmdZRNAra3GlgLgHewjhrDme1BdlZb7lEiLCYWqGnz-WKAYs0ICRsiTIrSfbRAm6t3AU9ShwerR5KQuO8Y-3hcXfOMf-cyLc1hso4V7neYNs66xQZH7F_vXDRthtf-JskpQZ3nEfK6fQPdNtH6pMlX8GlskwJbtk6eC2_Xk3mwy-w4Ae9KEpinK18q9UliZvZzuVmaC5n-k3-iYpnrH-Huc4GiGIssZYSuNryhZBqGrAxAS_GwaOZgcl8ZTRHMnifXweRKYtACF4KMngER_NXqEhvYGhVSI_-5LEUoKTL3LotcUckECB3QyHggOKXq1GzQ6m2Q3u7juXaCsQtggT0gVDHfRkgWeR5-C8x0S7gnB3HcR6mNsLx0cNK9mXgVIl1GsCzbgA704lQCqzGBYuqqn21B8Vf7oTHGTTvbMTiUqAA2xzayPLEWfGLXrEc3YRhj6uk0M4vycx5AzRIiSKnwscSIqxgo1XIr88_x8F9X8hIqRqNEr2FkfXu3JEHSVfuBphWAefk8V_Dt7W6TeVpJD3IW70a7s2HEgdOV-uA0YaZpt4RxwoWX6Jof6M26kUdC7B1ZKyioT4xy0_2V6cRBdyRDCP4Cm6Mg0Tlh04tQGs8w=w1246-h935-no?authuser=0

zjf_BLn4wsKop3WFhZzo6sAY_FKfwAe1-sSJfhGfBRMn91unq8-MkdzF4u8biKkxM3A7OKPgse_rkn75mQdJOnl6Wef4YCFi2EadHdx-RZekrLQMO03_tltEeE_AKw9gr8Z6DwYNPp--iObHp0cfSfPGDBpSow9nVWDPu59Due6t-jfG4McWc7GCo7g3IQDPbYYMveBO7F5oTFDuri_3u1C9GXBvZmrVfHbxNAmH8InS6PMtRD2oingCn7Tfy22BKXhE0JXSHe3aueKnV0sJld7ALBQD7uXxMGz7byQbnmTz9yfAqgATMrTC820Xd-LjJPg7NAENtkvRn5HCX_NYN5gw98lXYJFO1SfP5jApPqLUlxmKWKKDpzJQlJS7YnTZNOUOUGig2ujydTK5wPG2QMdotZ7ch91Yhl8bKEeEKpl7hgWY0T9KuqO-IjVzJrgoztqLASkYUvHayafEsmRF1aghQjQksOOR84XJUYSzZxAte6nzKhbJJo7EVL6VuSLFJKPlElehANidQ8RZFJ5rCBmm7xv9EvXI8ArLZ06p8hDQ5i6TJQ7n65lOcoFqzT--0GMkLUuLjEMFptVA6uNhDClyuLd8KunVmlLQcWs29AXOFNpCruGX7vi7r4weFEhKz3fhe5Ymml2Z29yc47xVjdXXRLZKlOa4STj-v6dWwBdx8QVPhMbEo2ox11xPmw=w1246-h935-no?authuser=0

Edited by Wizzard

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

We have a bug in Stella 6.2.1 for R77. You have to use the Advanced Settings and map the analog input for the paddles again. 

Currently we are working on a 6.2.2 fix release.

I'm using 6.1.1 on RetroN77 and it flies.  They did a great job.  And I couldn't tell you how to map the paddles.  Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how to configure original Hyperkin Rander controller. It does not work with Flashback X for me so I tried to map the analog button in Retron and seems like it does nothing. How can I do it? Which joystick port I have to use for Ranger?

Ok, I found it out. I just used defaults in input settings and inserted ranger to first joystick port and it works :)

Edited by Wizzard

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, Redjac said:

Same here. Paddles work on on stock firmware (Hyperkin Ranger). After upgrading to latest community build paddles work precisely as you describe. 

I've reverted to the original firmware, since paddle games are the reason I bought the R77. So, do paddles just not work in the community build?

@Redjac I have the same issue. Where can I find the original firmware? Thanks ? 

• 5 months later...

Ok, something weird happened—everything was working perfectly with a joystick in the left controller port and my paddles hooked up in the back via the 2600-adaptor. I could select my paddle game with the joystick, hit reset, and then twist the dial and press the button and presto, great paddle gameplay. Last night I went to play Kaboom and I selected the game, hit Reset, then twisted the paddle dial and a settings menu came up. Clicking the paddle button moved the cursor between the settings. Same result for all paddle games. I deleted all the files from the SD card, reflashed it with the latest Stella update and added my games folder back, and same result. Anyone know what might have happened and/or how I might be able to fix?

Edited by WaverBoy

Somehow you must have entered the settings menu. But this shouldn't happen just from twisting a paddle. 

Maybe the problem is that paddles and joystick are both plugged in into the same port? Please unplug the joystick and try again.

BTW: Are joystick and paddles standard controllers?

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Somehow you must have entered the settings menu. But this shouldn't happen just from twisting a paddle. 

Maybe the problem is that paddles and joystick are both plugged in into the same port? Please unplug the joystick and try again.

BTW: Are joystick and paddles standard controllers?

I have a Ranger joystick plugged into the front left controller port. I have a set of rebuilt Atari paddles plugged into the 2600-daptor at the rear. Everything was working perfectly fine with this setup. Now it’s not. After I select a game with the Ranger and hit Reset, twisting the Player 1 paddle knob opens the settings menu and hitting the button moves the cursor between sections of it. And, I reflashed the SD card with completely different updated firmware and it still does that. I’m a bit stymied.

Edited by WaverBoy

• 9 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:50 AM, GradualGames said:

Has anyone else tried to use paddles with the Retron 77?

I have a pair of clean paddles which have zero jitter on my vader.

On the Retron 77, they have jitter.

I've tried other sets of paddles with the same result.

The support team tells me the console needs to be replaced--- I'm not buying it. I just think they never engineered the hardware properly to work with paddles.

Anyone else experience jitter with paddles on retron 77 or are some of you getting buttery smooth operation? If anyone is getting smooth play I might just send it back to hyperkin for a replacement as they suggested....

I just got a new pair of CX30-S5 paddles from Best Electronics. They jitter like crazy on my Retron 77. I was very disappointed they didn’t work

23 hours ago, AndrewM said:

I just got a new pair of CX30-S5 paddles from Best Electronics. They jitter like crazy on my Retron 77. I was very disappointed they didn’t work

The front ports of the R77 are known to be lousy for paddles. Some are a bit better and some are really bad. 

You can try to change Stella's dejitter settings. Have a look at the documentation for details.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I've heard that the Atari paddles aren't very good on the retron 77 but are there any known issues using the Ranger controller in paddle mode with Stella 6.6? The paddle part worked fine on 6.4 but the fire button didn't. Now that I updated, the fire button works but the paddle only wants to move on the left half of the screen. This happens in Demons to Diamonds and Breakout. On Demon Attack, The paddle doesn't work at all but when I hit the fire button, the ship moves to the right of the screen.

Edited by SmartSped
turn on reply notifications

On my Retron77, original Atari paddles aren’t reliable but the Retron Ranger works in all paddle games pretty well.

The only issue is that when moving the paddle to the right it will jump quickly to the right edge in about the last half inch of movement.

When Turing to the left it doesn’t do this and is very smooth.

is there any particular setting in Stella 6.6 that I can adjust to smooth that out?

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Many. Please read the docs.

Which docs are you referring to?

I have looked at the Stella manual but I can’t figure out how to switch between the top tabs in the advanced setting on the Retron77 to access what I need to adjust.

I didn’t see anything in the manual specific to navigating the top tabs on the Retron77.

Edited by Microbc