IGNORED

Hardware Hackers

ewbray

I can send you a disk with a good transfer program if you'd like. Not sure which one would be best for your purposes, but if it's just a path name issue, couldn't you save your files to floppy and transfer from DSK1?

Also, I'm not sure Terminal Emulator II allows for XMODEM transfer protocol, which is likely what you will need.

That would be awesome - are you able to put it onto a 3.5" floppy? I guess the best one would be one that could batch transfer files from a hard drive over RS232 - ideally everything in a directory. There's corruption on the hard drive, so I don't want to write anything to it for fear of making it worse. Speaking of which, are there any tools for diagnosing/repairing hard drive corruption? I've got directories that give an error part of they way through cataloging them.

Mike,

Shoot me your address and I can send you the eprom so you can see whether you can get anywhere with the Geneve.

I do not have any way to get something to a 3.5" drive as I am pretty much 5.25".

Do you have an RS232 card? If you do, and someone can get you a copy of Telco, then you can transfer files over to your Mac. Another option is to get a Lotharek drive and connect to your HFDC so you can copy files to DSK images and transfer via a SD card. That is probably the simplest route.

Beery

I sent you a PM. Thanks again.

I do have an RS232 card that appears to work. I'll have to look up the Lotharek drive - is there a specific version that works best with a TI?

My suggestion would be for you to download the HDX server. I will send you a 3.5" floppy with 2 programs on it:

CFHDXS1

MFM (Magic File Majipulator)

CFHDXS1 in conjunction with the HDX server is a hassle-free, simple and fun transfer process.

MFM is the tried and true old friend.

I use Telco for BBSing, and haven't used it for transferring to/from PC--- but if you'd like a copy of that, I will be happy to send you Telco on a floppy as well.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be for you to download the HDX server. I will send you a 3.5" floppy with 2 programs on it:

CFHDXS1

MFM (Magic File Majipulator)

CFHDXS1 in conjunction with the HDX server is a hassle-free, simple and fun transfer process.

MFM is the tried and true old friend.

I use Telco for BBSing, and haven't used it for transferring to/from PC--- but if you'd like a copy of that, I will be happy to send you Telco on a floppy as well.

That would be awesome. Please include Telco as well. I'll PM you my address.

I sent you a PM. Thanks again.

I do have an RS232 card that appears to work. I'll have to look up the Lotharek drive - is there a specific version that works best with a TI?

I have this drive. It's from Poland, and with the current exchange rate, is about $95 USD.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=27

Beery

you can also use a gotek drive https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/GOTEK-usb-floppy-disk-emulator-numeric-display-TI-99-4A-Compatible-firmware-installed-BLACK/p/90996742/category=27901433

the easiest way to get stuff to a peecee is HDX as Owen(opry99er) suggested.. however there is a chicken and egg issue getting it to the TI. I can send disks as well lmk if you need help

you can also use a gotek drive https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/GOTEK-usb-floppy-disk-emulator-numeric-display-TI-99-4A-Compatible-firmware-installed-BLACK/p/90996742/category=27901433

the easiest way to get stuff to a peecee is HDX as Owen(opry99er) suggested.. however there is a chicken and egg issue getting it to the TI. I can send disks as well lmk if you need help

Actually I think getting things to the PC is easiest and fastest with the TIPI.

With the HDX you'll need a RS-232 of course, but then you'll need the cables, connectors, possibly even serial to USB adapter, then you have to manage the mess of wires.

Then you have to deal with all the separate programs.

gallery_35324_1027_62467.jpg

With the TIPI everythings WiFi on the communications side and bloody fast. All the software is built into the TIPI and functions with your browser or OS directly. Don't get me wrong, the HDX is a great item, but once I got a TIPI, I never used the HDX again and decided to get rid of it.

I was also able to disconnect my UDS-10 and pull the second RS-232 card out of the mix too. I've never looked back.

• Like 1

That will not help Mike's issue of getting the files off a HFDC since one can not transfer files on a hard drive to a TIPI directory "yet". Matt has not released a revised disk manager for the PEBox version of TIPI.

Beery

think you have that backwards :) you can copy TO TIPI all you want.. its just FROM the TIPI that needs the new dm.. and tipifm is coming along..

Okay, yesterday I made real progress on this. I picked up a GoTek floppy emulator and reflashed it with FlashFloppy. After some trial and error, I figured out how to get disk images onto it using a Mac and the "disk" program from ti99sim, which allowed me to get the Ti99Hdx software onto the TI. I ran the Ti99Hdx server on a Windows 10 VM running on my Mac, and used a USB-Serial adapter with a 9-25 pin adapter to connect to my RS232 card. It's quite the Rube Goldberg machine, but it allowed me to transfer files from the hard drive over to my Mac. I had to do it one directory at a time, creating a new folder on Windows for each one. Sometimes, I had files that clashed with case-insensitivity on the Windows side, so I had to put those into a different folder (e.g. MYTERM and myterm in the same directory on the hard drive.)

Okay, so now I have a folder and file structure on the Windows side that roughly matches what I had on my hard drive, barring all the files that I couldn't read off the hard drive due to errors. :( Now my next question is, how do I convert the text files into Windows-equivalent text files? I want to look through all the text files at least to check them for corruption. It looks like all the files have some sort of header on them - I'm not sure what format Ti99Hdx put them in.

A huge thank you to everyone who has helped me get this far.

-Mike

Edited by webdeck
  • Like 1

http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

Fred Kaal's site has a 64a version:

v6.4a Added: viewer.cpp: Shift-f3 for opening a DIS/FIX 128 file in the
viewer containing FORTH screens/blocks.
When F3 is used and it is a DIS/FIX 128 file and the first three
blocks of 1024 bytes are all printable characters and it contains
at least one : ; combination it is assumed to be a FORTH
screens/blocks file. (maybe a bit to simple like this)

Lots of good stuff to peruse on his site....