IGNORED

HSC Season 16 Welcome and Games List

Welcome to Season 16 of the Atari 8-bit High Score Club

Tempting as it is to cut and paste my usual speil let's just say that everyone is welcome to join in (at any time) but the start of the season is a particularly good time! All you need to do is play the selected game or games and post your scores, screenshots are optional.

You do not need to be good at playing to enjoy this, we have a small bunch of friendly players (providing they are not fed after midnight), who enjoy exploring the games, we even have a resident artist who knocks up some spectacular sketches along the way. If you've not played before you might be surprised how well these games hold up and just how much fun this is, and discover some new favourites too.

The format is usually a 2 week round with a main game and a bonus game or two to keep it interesting. The beginners' guide post has lots of info but if you need any help getting started just post or send me a message.

Start of by using this thread to post 10 games that you might like to play this season and they will be used for the Polls, I'll start up the first poll soon with some classics to get us started and we can begin play at the weekend :)

trbb

• Like 2

Frogger 2
H.E.R.O
Henry's House
Jet Boot Jack
LA SWAT/Commando (Top down shooter round?)
Past Finder
Satan's Hollow
Space Fortress Omega
Steeple Jack
YOOMP!

Just found this one which is quite difficult but playable as a bonus game

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-risky-rescue-industrial-version_7159.html

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

Already played in 2019:
International Karate
Deflektor
Crownland
Spy Hunter

Remains for 2020: (new entries in blue)
Trailblazer (w/ possible bonus game "Let's Hop")
Mad Stone
Gridrunner
Operation Blood
James Bond 007
Death Race
The Great American Cross-Country Road Race

Tapper
Bruce Lee
Blue Max [S7-5, S12-6]

No score or broken scoring:
Master of the Lamps
LOCO

Edited by carlsson
Temp update for 2020
  • Like 1

The Great American Cross Country Road Race (US Tour or all sets)

Abracadabra!

Montezuma Revenge (2018 version? so, Montezuma Again)

Pac-Mad

Pang (two mode to play it)

Skyscraper

ABC (Sikor Soft version)

Speed Maza (by Jakub Husak - great game for one key ;P)

Caveblaster+ with alternate sets (made by players - I declare to make one set if you want and if game will be play on High Score Club)

• Like 1

I think for my list I will stick with newer releases (within last decade or long lost protos), where the playing field is more level with no game masters with 40 years of hot-shot experience... ;)

Stunt Car Racer

Blaster (Williams proto)

Death Chase XE

E-type

Tower Toppler (XE proto)(Nebulous)

Druidarium

Callisto

HAR 'em RC1 release

Xenophobe (XE proto) (if there are enough participants with the game)

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (one classic that has recently become a favorite of mine)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I'll have a go at this, this season, my first time, be gentle!

My 10 games are

Raid over Moscow

Nuclear Nick

Bruce Lee

Mr Robot and the Robot Factory

International Karate

Drelbs

Fort Apocalypse

Mirax Force

Spy Hunter

Gyruss

Edit: The mention of "flawed" games makes me want to include these games I left out of my list because of lack of scores

Mercenary

The Eidolon

Kennedy Approach

Leader Board.

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 2

I think for my list I will stick with newer releases (within last decade or long lost protos), where the playing field is more level with no game masters with 40 years of hot-shot experience... ;)

Stunt Car Racer

Blaster (Williams proto)

Death Chase XE

E-type

Tower Toppler (XE proto)(Nebulous)

Druidarium

Callisto

HAR 'em RC1 release

Xenophobe (XE proto) (if there are enough participants with the game)

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (one classic that has recently become a favorite of mine)

I still like playing Nebulous on my C64. I'd never looked at Tower Toppler, as I had always assumed that it was unfinished. The 7800 version looks pretty good, has the XE version really got no colour, or am I looking at the wrong version?

Tower Toppler looks like this on PAL

post-62759-0-74000300-1547564772.png

And like this on NTSC

post-62759-0-23448300-1547564781.png

Tower Toppler was the USA name for the UK developed game Nebulus. I think that, and the columns at the bottom here, clearly show they intended it to look like that.

post-62759-0-14883100-1547564793.png

EDIT: The fixed version from Fandal doesn't crash on the bonus round.

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 2

Some great suggestions keep them coming, nice to see some new players on the rosta :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The "flawed" games (usually scoring or lack of difficulty) we can use for bonus games or come up with some stipulations to make them competitive.

Regulars will know that I try and support the active scene so if the newer games don't win the polls I have in the past put a new games poll or even a special round in. Ideally us programmers should be making such great games that they win the polls!

Hmm better start on my list...

Kik Start

Lost Tomb

Phantom

Milliipede Gumball

Galaxian

Genesis

Fort Apocalypse Trolls 'n Tribulations

NYC

Nibbler

Up 'N' Down

well there's 10 already - players can edit their lists if they see other people coving the same game.

Edited by therealbountybob
duplicates changed!
  • Like 2

Again, since my knowledge of Atari games does not gout out past few well known classics I don't have a list. I'd definitely rather play some unknown soldiers though. The Hi-res round last season is the best example.

I plan starting and A-Z crawl thorugh my Atari 8bit Gamebase romset (something I do now for ZX/C64) so may have some suggestions later in the season if that's ok.

• Like 1

Again, since my knowledge of Atari games does not gout out past few well known classics I don't have a list. I'd definitely rather play some unknown soldiers though. The Hi-res round last season is the best example.

I plan starting and A-Z crawl thorugh my Atari 8bit Gamebase romset (something I do now for ZX/C64) so may have some suggestions later in the season if that's ok.

If you want some pointers for good games, in HSC11 we did an A-Z through the season, the polls show some good games for each letter.

Ok Time to pester people with emails! Then sort the first poll :)

I am very much in favor of trying out new or unknown games rather than playing old stuff over and over again (even if it's great, I can find my old favorites alone.) So it would be great if we could sneak in about 50% "new" games, with let's say "new" referring to everything published after Atari 8-bit production was ended. OTOH, I don't like to waste my time on complete duds, so I'd very much appreciate some "quality control" for nominations. Tastes being different, this will mean different things to different people, but maybe at least those games with serious flaws or controllability requiring advanced Zen could be sorted out.

I don't have that many suggestions, as I lack an overview of what's out there in this category.

As for "old" stuff, I'd sure like to re-visit King Tut's Tomb, Zeppelin and Picnic Paranoia and would enjoy matching my fading Shamus skills with other Atarians on the new mazes of Shamus+ (declaring bias regarding last game). RGB comes to mind as well if that wasn't played recently.

I am just not sure if I'll have the time to play even as few rounds as I managed last season as - besides leading my ordinary family and work life - I'd really love to finally start coding a game I have been thinking of for a couple of years or at least prepare a 10-liner entry.

• Like 2

Feedback on some of the games suggested:

Mercenary - too long to play for a normal round, scoring?

Played Last Season: Chopper Hunt, Computer War, Blaster - you get another pick for your 10s! [also Oils Well]

Loco - serious flaw is you get many more points from just shooting stuff and not from making progress on the main part of the game - might be able to hack off the scoring or something

Tower Toppler - I was sure this was still broken (on my 130XE), can someone test it out and report back please?

Druidarium - is this out (not on Fandal)?

The Eidolon - great game and can play for level compelted.

Leaderboard - great game and we have played it before.

Kennedy Approach - would like to play that here, if someone knows the game and can suggest way of scoring/measuring progress - time perhaps?

Crossfire - is sort of flawed as with the recently corrected file version with firing and movement in separate directions the game is eventually too easy but we can limit this somehow or top players can play the single dir move version.

Will poll most games suggested at some point or other, those with extra RAM etc are unlikely to win if people cannot run them, but might be happy to play on emulation for some games.

Some of the titles that are quick plays / less involve we can pair up or use as bonus games.

Newer stuff we'll have to look out for NTSC compatibility or see if NTSC players will use emulation for those.

HSC Rounds
I was pondering with McKong about the format; we could change to 1 week rounds with 1 game each week and no bonus games, with the usual catch-up rounds for those who miss anything? This way if we do get any duffers we only have a week to go.

The other brainwave I had was to keep the 2 week rounds but have 1 old and 1 new game (2 polls say of 3 games each)

Any thoughts welcome ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
games played last season list updated

How about interleaving rounds with 1 game in each round:

Week #1: Round 1 begins

Week #2: Round 2 begins

Week #3: Round 1 ends, round 3 begins

Week #4: Round 2 ends, round 4 begins

etc

That way we'd have 2 concurrent games to play, but belonging to separate rounds. Would that be too complicated for the participants to post in the right thread, and too much extra work for the HSC moderator?

My top 10 (at this moment) although in some random order.

1. Millipede

2. Stampede (phaeron port)

3. Sea Quest (phaeron port)

4. Midnight Magic (phaeron port)

5. David's midnight Magic (1987 xegs release)

6. Pac-man Arcade (tep392 release)

7. Space Harrier

8. Crossfire

9. 2048

10. Oilswell

• Like 1

I've changed my Computer War for Nuclear Nick.

Keeping with the Nuclear theme :thumbsup:

Candy Factory

Nemezyro

Exit Watch

Not hear of Exit Watch :thumbsup:

Alpha Shield

Bio-Defense

Callisto

Carnival

Collision Course

Crab Nebula

Escape

Genetic Drift

Getaway

Seaquest

And a several lesser known ones there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Some good picks McKong :thumbsup: I like those JD Casten (BASIC) games, proably Steeple Jack as s bonus game too. Yes the top down walking shooters would make a good round, we don't seem to have many of them :|

Although SFO on your list was a duplicate we could allow another pick for anyone who has a game played this season :idea: