IGNORED

7800XM Existing Pre-Orders information page

Curt Vendel

Thanks for the info Jinks! It seemed like it might have been shipping when I was about to move so as to not having it go to a wrong address Here is to keeping the Atari spirit alive that all goes well that we can be enjoying these units soon Plus Curt and all others involved in this project get a well deserved break for all their efforts in making this happen! Thank you for all the time invested!

• Thanks 1

Well. I am not by any means any authority for the date it will be finished. But last anyone heard they are working on the audio circut. After that is done and who knows what else and then the manufacturing of the xms(could take months for sure)

Yes we need to stay positive!

I think everyone will be relieved when it is all over!!

Edited by Jinks

• 5 months later...

As long as the XM addresses the Pokey at $4000, and I can only speak for Super Circus Atari Age, but if I understand it correctly you can get SCAA on a standard 32K cart (without the Pokey) and plug it into the XM and it will work.  Please note however that if you plug that same bare cart into a non XM machine, not only will you not get sound, but it will also not play correctly as I rely on the Random Number generator of the Pokey for that game.  Can't speak for Froggie though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

As long as the XM addresses the Pokey at $4000, and I can only speak for Super Circus Atari Age, but if I understand it correctly you can get SCAA on a standard 32K cart (without the Pokey) and plug it into the XM and it will work.  Please note however that if you plug that same bare cart into a non XM machine, not only will you not get sound, but it will also not play correctly as I rely on the Random Number generator of the Pokey for that game.  Can't speak for Froggie though.

It will automatically sense any POKEY using the standard address.  Bob, Perry and most other programmers all use the standard POKEY address, they also already been given the address info on the XM's registers and its been posted several times publicly and will also be part of pages on 7800XM in its Developers section when that goes up after that ship with all programmer info, samples and downloadable tools like the Yamaha tools with an X68000 emulator to create the Yamaha 2151 sounds,  so its not an issue.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:13 PM, PacManPlus said:

If SCAA only addresses POKEY at $4000 than I think that will be an issue.  I don't believe the XM is currently setup to map POKEY to $4000.  It's always been recommended to use $0450 for XM compatibility.  I think it's theoretically possible to implement, but would mean adding code to the BIOS to identify the inserted cart is a SCAA, and adding a feature to the CPLD to allow the POKEY to be mapped to $4000 using one of the control registers.  All possible, but we would need to discuss with Mark to confirm.

Regarding Froggie, I'm pretty sure it was programmed to work with POKEY at both $0450 and $4000.  I tested a pre-release version years ago on an early XM and it worked well.  Also, Beefdrop has been confirmed to work with the XM POKEY.

Thanks for the info, guys...

Ok.  SCAA does not auto-detect as it was done before I knew about that.

Having said that, it is currently compiled for $450 (it's just changing a 'constant' which references the address),

so we should be fine once it comes out.

Edited by PacManPlus