IGNORED

Network vs Local storage device for Atari 8bit?

leech

So with all the cool SIO devices out there, and Cartridge based ones where we can load collections of ATR, XEX, etc, I always think it'd be nice if I could load these directly off my NAS, so I can have backups of save files, etc.

The reason I think of this, is I do the same thing with my Raspberry Pi w/ RetroPie installed. I simply have the roms loaded off my NAS over sshfs or nfs.

Imagine some file server bits, and get real hardware working over an ESP8266 Wifi adapter? I know there is work being done on a 'retro printer' interface as well. Would love to find a way to do some sort of universal print server (obviously we'd need coding per platform),

Some of these ideas come from the most excellent Jaguar SD Cart project by SainT. I think he is still planning on connecting Wifi to it. But if we could have a little embedded nfs capable module in a cartridge, it could be configured to mount a network storage point.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

You'd need a disk emulation device with the wifi stack built into it to access the NAS. The Toshiba wireless cards work sort of in reverse of that, allowing you access to the cards contents remotely. You need something like a wireless SIO2PC.

Currently, I have SIO2PC and APE set up where the atari disk image is a mirror of an SMB share on my home network. So I can do cross compiles using cc65 on my laptop, and the binary is automatically available on my atari. It's pretty slick for development; no shuttling of files around.

Is that what you're looking for?

I sync AspeQt's mounted folder between my laptop and mobile phone with syncthing:

https://syncthing.net/

It's free and it can be used within local network only without any external servers involved.

This is what I do too, only with Dropbox. I set up a spare laptop, and use Remote Desktop to control it. That way I can keep the laptop closed so it takes up very little space In fact, I keep the monitor on top of the laptop.

I need to look at syncthing... :-)

• 6 months later...

Yes, we have access to the SIO device to which we transmit which song is to be played from the SD card and in what way. The sound is mixed through the AUDIO IN in the SIO slot - just like the left channel in the tape recorder. We have control over the volume balance, stop, pause etc. The SIOCarta part is a jukebox which we control using the SIO commands and the Motor Control line ?

• Like 3