IGNORED

SCSII2SD with ICD host adapter

37 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I do not pretend to know anything about it, but wouldn't the power come from the computer end, instead of the drive end?  I would have thought the computer would hand power over to the Link2.

No, there is no power signal at the ACSI connector. It is powered through the SCSI bus. That's why the Link 2 adds a led (the point at the "i") that wasn't present on the older Link, to be sure it is receiving enough power. If you check the Link/Link2 manual, it notes that termination power must be enabled on the drive, something that wasn't required for older host adapters.

It does not work unless there is a second device. I changed settings in the config one at a time to see if any thing changed, nope.  Even tried straight SCSI on my TT and Falcon, no go.  Hooked up a second drive and everything works perfectly.

Now remember, this is the nearly obsolete version.  There may be another version they sell at Inertial computing that does have termination power.  You'll need to ask them though.  I do not have any other version.  This version works for what I want it to and will always be with another drive.

This is probably why it does not work well as an internal device.  I think I remember someone trying it on a TT or MSTE as the internal drive and had problems.

ok broke down and purchased HDDriver V11 last night.  I was able to see the drive and format it.  But I had a weird issue.  I bought a 1GB SD card and tried to play with that.  (I had a 4GB before, and set the device to use 4GB)  When I tried to set the device to 1GB for the new 1GB card, it would not work at all, would not see it.  Put it back to 4GB on the device and it now sees the 1GB card.  I got it formattted to 1GB parition in HDDriver (because I wanted to use TOS/Win mode) but then the ? drive was not able to open up.  Spent a few hours trying but then I realized my error.  I am limited to 512MB per partition on older TOS.  I set two 510MB partitions and now it works.  I have C and D drives.  Everyone works great.  BUT.... I really wanted to be able to pop this SD card into my PC to transfer files.  Any way to do that with it partitioned like I did?  Or I need TOS 3+ and 1 partition?

2 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

It does not work unless there is a second device. I changed settings in the config one at a time to see if any thing changed, nope.  Even tried straight SCSI on my TT and Falcon, no go.  Hooked up a second drive and everything works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for the testing. I understand you have SCI2SD version 5.0, right? Do you have the resistor pack still installed and didn't remove them?

Now remember, this is the nearly obsolete version.  There may be another version they sell at Inertial computing that does have termination power.  You'll need to ask them though.  I do not have any other version.  This version works for what I want it to and will always be with another drive.

This is probably why it does not work well as an internal device.  I think I remember someone trying it on a TT or MSTE as the internal drive and had problems.

As far as I can see, the only difference in this regard is that the newer version can enable and disable termination just by software.

I don't think this is related to having problem when using it with an internal adapter, because on that case you don't need term power.

@ijor

The resistor packs were in place on the SCSI2SD itself for all the testing that I did.  One thing I did not try, was to put an external resistor pack on the second port on the back of the case.  I came up with this on the drive in to work today. I'll try it at home tonight.

• 1 year later...

I have a MegaST2 with internal ICD ADSCSI board and a scsi hard drive. I'm trying to replace the drive with a 5.2 SCSI2SD.

I can't get any ST HD drivers to see the SCSI device. I'm trying the ICD drivers, PPs driver, and the HDDriver demo.

I've connected the SCSI2SD to the PC and have tried putting it in "SLOW" mode. I even tried turning OFF termination but then the ST boot showed drive failure (no drive icons), as expected.

The internal drive connector goes to the ADSCSI which is mounted on the SCSI2SD. The power connector is going to the SCSI2SD. (Just like the old SCSI hard drive.)

Is there anything I'm overlooking? Mystified.

The setup IS working with the SCSI HD drive, when I coax the old drive to life. Apparently the Quantum ProDrives suffer from a rubber stop that turns to mush/muck over time.

(Let me know if this should be a new thread.)

Thanks

This is likely just another case of problems by interfacing old digital device with some modern one. In short - unreliable signals, transfers. And of course no driver SW can override it.

I'm talking here over years that one adapter for specific purpose is better than 2. And we have at moment nice offer of diverse ACSI to SD cards adapters offer. And I guess that it might cost less than SCSI2SD.  So, remove good old ICD adapter, connect ACSI to SD  (some call it Satan ? ), and it will work well and fast enough.

Time of old SCSI drives is practically over. Some work still, but don't expect that will last long. Most of mine just broke in last 10 years. 1 is still operational - well, was it. Who knows what happens when I attach it next time (and it will be no soon, because I don't need it actually).

Ah, almost forgot: SD card prices are really low now.