Anyone else looking forward to learning more about this upcoming plug in play? Seems pretty cool to bring classic PC gaming into the livingroom. I, for one, am looking forward to see what all they do with this as the YouTubers Amigos Retro Gaming have speculated that other platforms (such as Amiga, Amstrad, ZX Spectrum, etc.) could be represented. Thoughts?

Learning about it? Maybe, just to see what they come up with. The games list could make or break it.

I'll give them credit for a few funny questions/answers on their website FAQ.

Will the PC Classic come in other colors? Chain-smoker beige doesn’t complement my furniture.

Yes, heretic, we will also offer at least 1 other color in a more modern palette. The faceplate will also more closely match the enclosure color in production models.

Can’t I just buy a Raspberry Pi, an enclosure, gamepad, keyboard, and mouse, 3D print a faceplate, install Armbian, buy 30+ games, build the source for ARM or install/configure in DOSBox for each and every game, create a menu system with game art, and tell everyone about it at parties?

No.

I have a big GOG and Steam collection, and many devices on which I can play them, so I'm probably a hard sell. I would think that most people who placed the PC originals have the wherewithal to work out their own emulation setups.

What's appealing about this to you?

• Like 1

For me, it is the plug and play nature of the console and that the games are supposed to be optimized for use on a controller. Granted, there are a lot of ways to play older DOS and/or Windows games (Amiga, Commodore, etc for that matter). Still, I am looking forward to what they have in mind and what games come with the unit to start.

Can’t I just buy a Raspberry Pi, an enclosure, gamepad, keyboard, and mouse, 3D print a faceplate, install Armbian, buy 30+ games, build the source for ARM or install/configure in DOSBox for each and every game, create a menu system with game art, and tell everyone about it at parties?

No.

No? Ok. But can't I just buy any dirt-cheap MiniPC (with specs/flexibility most likely much more superior to your product) with pre-installed Windows, spend 1hr downloading/installing a free frontend such as Launchbox and letting it sort out my game collection (which most of PC gaming fans most likely have)? I think I can, and would be much better off for it.

Now, okay, I get it, the whole idea of Minis/Classics is not to be a best way to play games but mostly a cute present or a collectible. Not for me, but whatever rocks your boat. There's no need for daft and misinforming 'tude posts like the one quoted though.

• Like 1

True, obviously there are probably many other avenues to get at what the PC Classic is going to offer and then some. However, like other mini-consoles, I personally am looking forward to seeing what games they get, how hackable it turns out to be, what optimizations they do to get games to pay (or behave nicely) with a controller, and its form factor. At this point, it is wait and see. I just thought I would see what others think and/or speculate about this upcoming product.

Like I said, there are many ways to do what the PC Classic is planning/wanting to do. I just wondered what people thought about it and if it is something that will sell as the Playstation Classic is really the first mini console dud that I can think of thus far.

:-D. That would be awesome if they put those features into it. However, in all seriousness, I believe that they will sell some expansion SD cards that will look like floppy disks. I could be wrong on that, but that would be a nice touch IMO.

I want a turbo button, green screen monitor and 5 1/4" floppies or GTFO!

True, they could just make some stickers on SD cards to look like little floppies. You can easily make your screen look monochrome green with a little taskbar dodad, and they can make a dummy button that says turbo. It doing nothing would be about accurate to the old XTs.

Better question would be what they plan to run on it. Windows 3.1, 95? One would assume its just a dedicated dosbox unit. If it's just another Linux thing, well.........why. My frickin' toaster can do that.

https://unitetechno.com/dt_catalog/pc-classic/

Oh...it's another crowdfunded raspberry pi. Just GTFO. Stuff & Nonsense.

Give me a Betamax Classic or get bent.

Edited by JBerel

Yes, I believe the PC Classic is Orange Pi (or whatever Pi) based, but I do believe there is something else that will go along with it in order to have some performance enhancements of some kind. Still, considering that the NES and SNES Classics are (more or less) Pi based too, it is not necessarily a bad thing. But, nothing too special either. Still, I am interested into seeing exactly what they do with this project. It has the potential to really be a hit, but also be a flop like the Playstation Classic, too.

Learning about it? Maybe, just to see what they come up with. The games list could make or break it.

I'll give them credit for a few funny questions/answers on their website FAQ.

I have a big GOG and Steam collection, and many devices on which I can play them, so I'm probably a hard sell. I would think that most people who placed the PC originals have the wherewithal to work out their own emulation setups.

I think you're probably on par with everyone else. This sounds like they'll only be releasing games they license and at least debug in emulation. Obviously that would limit what games can be included. Then you'll have to buy them. They tried that with Ouya, nobody bought anything.

It's great that they will be making sure everything is a-okay but like you say, what's the difference with GOG/Steam? The Eric fellow repeats this is for your television, like a game console. I'm just not sure what market there is for that?

I already have a PC Classic - a Windows 7 laptop with tons of classic games installed many playable through DOS Box, which I hook up to the TV for certain games with a mouse and keyboard (ex Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Warcraft 2, Starcraft).

You're light years ahead of me! I had so many PC compatibility problems back in the day, I essentially quit PC gaming!

The YouTube they just released is pretty good, and he really did a funny job picking a few of the more ridiculous comments to speak about. Including one where someone opined for a mini CRT!

Edited by Greg2600

Obviously this project has a lot of question marks in regards to price ($99 includes what exactly as we don't know yet), games (I imagine it would include mid-80s through early 90s titles), form factor, and internal bits (It will use an Orange Pi, but supposedly other hardware on top of it). Still, I believe it does have potential to be a good little mini-console. However, for those that already have tried and true methods for wanting to play these games and then some, probably not much if anything at all.