IGNORED

Which of these SEGA CD games would you choose?

Flojomojo

:-o :-o ooooow, now hold on guys. Of course we're taking this deal. In fact, we'll take it twice....

1. & 2. The Exterminators and No Escape (both in the 3rd row down) were both never released. We'll snatch those two right up for our collections. (interesting that they were advertised on this flyer, but then cancelled)

3. Ultraverse Prime (bottom row, right) is a side-scrolling beat em up. It's nothing special, but it was only sold in a 2-pack with Microcosm. So, with this unreleased box variant, we'll snag that too as our first free game.

While we're at it, let's do one more set of 3:

4. Next up, we gotta get Championship Soccer '94 (2nd row down). It may sound generic, but ever heard of Sensible Soccer? That's what the game really is. For the unfamiliar, Sensible Soccer is wildly popular in Europe, especially among old-school Amiga gamers... For us U.S. gamers to understand, consider it the European equivalent of Tecmo Super Bowl or NBA Jam - it's one of those sports games that people will love and play forever. Championship Soccer 94 is a version of Sensible Soccer with the name changed for the U.S. audience. As one of the few U.S. console releases of Sensible Soccer (the other being on the Jag), it sells for like $40+ still to this day.

5. After that, I'm gonna grab that 3 Ninjas Kick Back game (2nd row down). It's not a great game, but still, 3 Reasons for 3 Ninjas: (1) To my knowledge, it was never released as a standalone game like that -- it was only in a 2-pack with Hook. (2) The Hook/3 Ninjas Kick Back 2-pack scores nice money these days - it's worth about $60. (3) And most importantly, I loved the 3 Ninjas movies when I was growing up!

6. Now, we're getting to slim pickings for our second freebie. I guess we'll take Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (bottom row, middle). First, it's an absolutely terrible game, so at least we'll have a game to laugh at. Second, again I think this was only 2-packed with Bram Stoker's Dracula, so there was no standalone version released.

Well guys, we're officially rich and just scored a bunch of super rare games. Funny how so many of these were never released in the form they show in the ad. I wonder how that worked out once people went to cash in their coupon.... If nothing else, can't beat the mayo discount.

Edited by Retro STrife
  • Like 6

:-o :-o ooooow, now hold on guys. Of course we're taking this deal. In fact, we'll take it twice....

1. & 2. The Exterminators and No Escape (both in the 3rd row down) were both never released. We'll snatch those two right up for our collections. (interesting that they were advertised on this flyer, but then cancelled)

3. Ultraverse Prime (bottom row, right) is a side-scrolling beat em up. It's nothing special, but it was only sold in a 2-pack with Microcosm. So, with this unreleased box variant, we'll snag that too as our first free game.

While we're at it, let's do one more set of 3:

4. Next up, we gotta get Championship Soccer '94 (2nd row down). It may sound generic, but ever heard of Sensible Soccer? That's what the game really is. For the unfamiliar, Sensible Soccer is wildly popular in Europe, especially among old-school Amiga gamers... For us U.S. gamers to understand, consider it the European equivalent of Tecmo Super Bowl or NBA Jam - it's one of those sports games that people will love and play forever. Championship Soccer 94 is a version of Sensible Soccer with the name changed for the U.S. audience. As one of the few U.S. console releases of Sensible Soccer (the other being on the Jag), it sells for like $40+ still to this day.

5. After that, I'm gonna grab that 3 Ninjas Kick Back game (2nd row down). It's not a great game, but still, 3 Reasons for 3 Ninjas: (1) To my knowledge, it was never released as a standalone game like that -- it was only in a 2-pack with Hook. (2) The Hook/3 Ninjas Kick Back 2-pack scores nice money these days - it's worth about $60. (3) And most importantly, I loved the 3 Ninjas movies when I was growing up!

6. Now, we're getting to slim pickings for our second freebie. I guess we'll take Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (bottom row, middle). First, it's an absolutely terrible game, so at least we'll have a game to laugh at. Second, again I think this was only 2-packed with Bram Stoker's Dracula, so there was no standalone version released.

Well guys, we're officially rich and just scored a bunch of super rare games. Funny how so many of these were never released in the form they show in the ad. I wonder how that worked out once people went to cash in their coupon.... If nothing else, can't beat the mayo discount.

Well all of this had to be a fail in most cases because as the rules state, you buy the games from your local retailer and then submit the copy of the receipt with your order for the free game. So choosing some of the unreleased ones would never have provided any fruit as it also clearly states...while supplies last. So if you chose a game that was never released as listed here, you would have been told it was out of stock and had to choose another in most cases or perhaps a check sent back to you in the amount equal the (Sega perceived value) of the game you asked for.

• Like 1

Well all of this had to be a fail in most cases because as the rules state, you buy the games from your local retailer and then submit the copy of the receipt with your order for the free game. So choosing some of the unreleased ones would never have provided any fruit as it also clearly states...while supplies last. So if you chose a game that was never released as listed here, you would have been told it was out of stock and had to choose another in most cases or perhaps a check sent back to you in the amount equal the (Sega perceived value) of the game you asked for.

True. Naturally my post is a little tongue-in-cheek, but I do wonder how they would have treated the 2-packs... it would have really limited the options to not count those games, since they never released standalone. And it would have been pretty messed up to not honor the deal if the game was bought in a 2-pack. Either way, interesting to see a few unreleased games on the ad.

Now, setting aside rarity and value and all that nonsense, and just looking at gameplay... Among the games that exist on the ad, today I would definitely choose Championship Soccer '94 first. Best game of the bunch IMO, in terms of how it holds up. But back in '93, I doubt I would have been attracted to a simplistic soccer game. Back then, I'd more likely get roped in by one of those fancy FMV games or the beat em ups.

• Like 1

I have seen Championship Soccer '94 at my local retro store. If I'd known it was any good I'd have bought it.

Same here though- I only learned of it a few months ago myself. I've known about the Sensible Soccer series for years and years after hearing European gamers rave about it. Finally a few months ago I decided to seek out a copy. I thought the Jaguar had the only U.S. console version, but then someone told me about Championship Soccer being part of the series too. I still went with the Jaguar version though, because it was slightly cheaper (paid $30 for a loose copy; Sega CD version sells for like $40+).

Edited by Retro STrife

• 4 weeks later...

Easy.

1. Ground Zero Texas. At the time I was one of the "FMV is the Future!!!" twits.

2. Wheel of Fortune. Would have had BIG hopes there would be some nice FMV of Vanna,

but would still enjoy the game, because I love WOF in any incarnation.

3. Exterminators. Come on!!! It has a the word Teminator, AND a big ol' red X in the title!

How could you NOT pick this as an adolescent boy.

But it didn't get released, so I'd be pissed that the one I wanted most wasn't there.

I probably would have taken Ultraverse Prime('cause I had a few comics, but they sucked...)

or Frankenstein.

If you mean't what three would I take today? The most valuable obviously!

Or maybe you mean which 3 I think are the most fun... well I haven't played them all, so couldn't tell ya.

The one that captures my interest is No Escape, since I've played the Genesis and SNES versions extensively. It's an interesting little game that's completely derailed by the terrible design decision to start out with a ridiculous, janky opening level. Get past that, and it's got a few decent cinematic puzzle-platformer ideas, and even two different endings depending on what path you take.

I'd like to see what the Sega CD version would've been like -- it's the only one of these titles that's not available in any form -- though it probably would've been almost exactly the same as the cart game, just with FMV and Redbook (so that one tune that sounds like A Flock of Seagulls would sound even more like A Flock of Seagulls).

BTW The Exterminators was released by Good Old Games in 2001 (as Bug Blasters: The Exterminators).