IGNORED

PLATOTerm99 0.1 test release for TI-99/4A

tschak909

You know, I know what you're saying makes perfect sense... I know the TIPI is awesome, and it is revolutionary and it changes the way you "TI" by doing all kinds of stuff way faster and more efficiently.

I have to be honest though... I don't know if I want that kind of convenience. Sounds stupid, I know.... but if I had TIPI, I likely wouldn't have spent 2 hours last night taking a disk controller card apart to swap out EPROMs.... I likely wouldn't be making serial transfer videos or focusing on the best way to catalog floppies to a parallel printer.... These are the things I love to do... and I fear that my TI time would shift to CHATTI and playing 2P games on the TIPI server.... I know there's an amazing new world out there, I just don't know if I'm ready for it.

And maybe I'm completely wrong.... but I am just not ready to go there yet. Too much legacy stuff still to do before I need a new experience. icon_mrgreen.gif

darkside_newthumb.png

• Like 5

At the risk of sounding thick, does this software support the serial port on a V2 NanoPeb? I have one coming in the mail.

I'm pretty new to them, a newbie in fact. What would the maximum speed be? (I would be connecting the serial port to an ESP12 device pre MAX232 on the board?) or just build a nice wifi modem and connect it to the NanoPeb via 9 pin serial connection :)

Cheers. :)

At the risk of sounding thick, does this software support the serial port on a V2 NanoPeb? I have one coming in the mail.

I'm pretty new to them, a newbie in fact. What would the maximum speed be? (I would be connecting the serial port to an ESP12 device pre MAX232 on the board?) or just build a nice wifi modem and connect it to the NanoPeb via 9 pin serial connection icon_smile.gif

Cheers. icon_smile.gif

The serial port version DOES NOT WORK YET but he's intending on it supporting the nano and a wifi modem such as you describe.

Greg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been steadily implementing PLATOTERM. While there are still issues with the RS232 version (it doesn't seem to work outside of TI994W), the TIPI version has been working quite well, and is currently reachable via entering PI.HTTP://TI99.IRATA.ONLINE/PLATOas a filename to CALL TIPI() (or other E/A5 loader), or by using one of your URIx shortcuts (e.g. URI1.PLATO).

I have just implemented basic color support, which adds color decoding for the 8 basic PLATO colors:

* Black

* White

* Red

* Green

* Blue

* Cyan

* Magenta

* Yellow

all on black background.

attachicon.gif01-notes.PNG

attachicon.gif02-notes2.PNG

attachicon.gif03-avatar-title.PNG

attachicon.gif04-avatar-ingame.PNG

attachicon.gif05-moria-title.PNG

Due to the quirks of the TMS9918 GRAPHICS II mode, I am not able to successfully add support for background color support. If I can work out a reliable integer-only way to scale down to 0.008 (to scale RGB values down), I will add support for mapping all of the other possible colors to the closest VDP match (again, no background colors, because then any color clash will become _VERY_ apparent.)

Stuff I am still working on:

* Character Set loading (compiler bugs in relation to unsigned char data types are causing the charset loading code to not work 100% correctly, am trying to work around it)

* Keyboard mapping (This is _HARD_... I still have a suggested mapping from arcadeshopper to try and work through), I really want to get this to be as least awkward as possible....

* Preferences (save baud rate, possibly phone book and maybe color/mono toggles)

* Get RS232 working on real hardware.

Once these are knocked out, I will consider the TI99 version of PLATOTerm feature complete.

-Thom

I am not sure how I get into this system?

I manage to come to the green screen to enter a user name, but then I am stuck.

Also not too sure how the key mapping is done (like HELP and NEXT, etc.). BACK seems to be FCTN-9 (but does not work on the black screen)

The keys are noted here, under PLATO keyboard:

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99/releases/tag/PLATOTERM99-0.1

NEXT is equivalent to ENTER.

-Thom

Thank you for the link to the keys. but I am still stuck at the login page. FCTN-H help mentioned that a userid need to be assigned or so?

(I just wanted to see if I could get the graphics on the page, tomorrow I am doing a TIPI demo to the Dutch TI-GG-NL group here).

you are probably running the RS-232 version.

If you have a TIPI, simply load it from IRATA.ONLINE's server's directly:

CALL TIPI("PI.HTTP://TI99.IRATA.ONLINE/PLATO")

-Thom

Yeah, I figured that out after looking for some documentation and set URI3. up to http://ti99.irata.online and then typed LOAD URI3.PLATO from the command line in 4A/DOS. Damn, this is slick, even has mouse support! I can't wait to get back to this in a few hours. It'll be much easier now that I printed up the keyboard sheet.

I'll also edit one of my 4A/DOS BATCH files to load it with the press of a single button. Looking forward to this!

post-35324-0-02923100-1552514654_thumb.jpg