IGNORED

PLATOTerm99 0.1 test release for TI-99/4A

tschak909

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi @tschak909,

today I tested the Platoterm access from my both tipi systems.

With my sidecar tipi on a plain console I got acces to Platoterm and could log in and I could do some other things.

On my tipipeb system with a EVPC2 80 column card (V9938) I only get the first screen of the Platoterm system and then the TI99 hangs.

Before I added the 80 column card I was able to acces Platoterm from this system, so I think it has to do with the EVPC2 card.
This card should be compatible with the Mechatronic 80 column card, so maybe there is an update in the future to support an V9938
Videoprocessor?

image.thumb.png.657f6633ba44bfc0764f71c45378a120.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The sticky thing here, is there is no emulation that supports TIPI, and the 9938, to my knowledge. So without real hardware, we can only guess...

Since the graphics show up from the built splash or whatever you want to call it... I'd say the screen output isn't an issue. 

I had another program that didn't work correctly on @wolhess EVPC, when using the cru based VDP interrupt polling: 

From line 96 in libti99:vdp.h

#define VDP_WAIT_VBLANK_CRU      __asm__( "clr r12\n\ttb 2\n\tjeq -4\n\tmovb @>8802,r12" : : : "r12" );

So the use of this in https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99/blob/3451c9bf9764ed9f4f51e9ad03bb93354651a201/src/main.c#L25 is blocking forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The sticky thing here, is there is no emulation that supports TIPI, and the 9938, to my knowledge. So without real hardware, we can only guess...

Since the graphics show up from the built splash or whatever you want to call it... I'd say the screen output isn't an issue. 

I had another program that didn't work correctly on @wolhess EVPC, when using the cru based VDP interrupt polling: 

From line 96 in libti99:vdp.h

#define VDP_WAIT_VBLANK_CRU      __asm__( "clr r12\n\ttb 2\n\tjeq -4\n\tmovb @>8802,r12" : : : "r12" );

So the use of this in https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99/blob/3451c9bf9764ed9f4f51e9ad03bb93354651a201/src/main.c#L25 is blocking forever.

Does that mean that EVPC does not connect to the INT pin of the 9918A socket? (and that the 9918A is removed...) But instead signals the interrupt on the  external interrupt line? Which would be at TB 4. Except it's mixed with (useless) serial interrupt and everything.

I'm not knowledgeable about the EVPC.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Does that mean that EVPC does not connect to the INT pin of the 9918A socket? (and that the 9918A is removed...) But instead signals the interrupt on the  external interrupt line? Which would be at TB 4. Except it's mixed with (useless) serial interrupt and everything.

I'm not knowledgeable about the EVPC.

Depends, the best I could tell, is there were multiple techniques to bring an interrupt signal back into the console, such as over the EXT-INT. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I ran across the link to IRATA on another thread and got the CALL TIPI address from the website. It works great! The characters are really hard to read on my monitor (a composite-to-VGA adapter plugged into a stock console) but I’ll be anxious to see how it looks when I can finally get an F18A board.

I’m really impressed with the speed of the terminal text and graphics and the fact that the TIPI USB mouse works with it right off the bat. I’m glad to get the key mappings, after fumbling around and trying out different key combinations for those PLATO keys for a half hour with limited success.

Thanks, Thom, for all the effort that’s gone into this project. And I thought the pre-Y2K dates were actually kind of retro cool, along with the Control Data Corporation copyrights. I played Yahtzee first thing. The mouse works there, too. Nice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1