IGNORED

Windows 98Se CD-RW

spencerhm

Problem Solved. Ultimately I tried everything that was suggested prior to posting except one thing - SCSI. Prior to installing SCSI I removed the real mode drivers, removed the sound card (it does have an IDE interface), tried FROG, tried finding drivers for my specific CD-RWs (triead at least five of mine), removed a PnP Linksys card, and all others because as we all know PnP wasn't all that great in those hardware/software days, tried setting the jumpers for MA and CS, I could go on. Nothing worked and "CDROM" did not show up at any time in Device Manager. And the bios did show CD-ROM Identified on boot.

Solution: broke out an old Yamaha SCSI (don't know the model off hand) CD-RW I had with all the software and manuals that came with it except the orig. box. The manual suggested a Adaptec AHA-2940 series controller. I bought two NOS (unopened) for $18 a piece (on eBay in the last few days) and bought them both. When I installed it and set the jumpers for the ID and termination on the drive, installed the necessary drivers for the card and installed Yamaha's burning software it all worked: write CDs, shows up in Device Mgr.

One peculiar thing is the software will not let me burn to CD-RW disks; it burns only to CD-Rs and the software makes them rewritable; however, only on the Yamaha drive. I have to do an "Eject" within the software to remove the CD. I've only got this all going since last night, so haven't had much time to play with it yet.

Thanks very much for all the positive and helpful feedback. I knew I could get some good collaboration from AtariAge.

Edited by spencerhm

Thanks very much for all the positive and helpful feedback. I knew I could get some good collaboration from AtariAge.

Great to hear. Your persistence and patience paid off. It was a bit convoluted as I said, but good for you. There's lot of smart folks here with many decades of experience so you made right call asking here,