IGNORED

Black screen, no beep with boyfriend's TI

xabin

Do we need to have everything plugged up to test out the chips? We tried doing that with everything but the keyboard plugged up, and it didn't do anything, but we dunno if the keyboard is necessary for the booting.

No the keyboard is not necessary to see if the computer will boot up. Lay the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, plug power supply up to the motherboard, plug the wall wart to the PS., then turn on the switch. You should see the TI title screen. If you see anything else, or lack thereof, then there is still an issue. If this happens then, for your purpose, a motherboard replacement will be your best bet.

If you see the title screen, then reassemble the motherboard into the console using thermal paste in the areas, were it originally came on, and plug the keyboard back to be able to interact with the computer. While reassembling, examine both ends of the cable from the keyboard to the pins on the motherboard see if you see any cracking or the possibility of breakage. After some years some of these cables are starting to go bad, and repair if necessary, or use one of the keyboard replacement options, that can be found doing a search on Atariage. Hope this is of some use.

Okay, that's what we did, taking out each of the suggested socketed chips one-by one, turning the machine on, then replacing the chip before doing the same to the next chip, to make sure we singled out each of the chips. None of the chips we were suggested to test, this way (the sound chip and the two GROM chips) changed the black screen we were getting, so it looks like we need to get a replacement motherboard.

• Like 1

Also, the video chip I sent, should be to you soon, I don't doubt FarmerPotatoes video chip, but I know mine came up, so when it gets there, try it to be positive. Then if you get the same results, contact Ksarul about the motherboard. The problem is most likely a soldered chip, or crystal, or such, which can be tracked down and replaced, but requires some skill and determination, which my or may not be justified at this point in time. If you decide later that it would be a fun 'hobby' to do and can justify the expense for some simple tools, and parts, then it is approachable 1 chip at a time.

RickyDean's chip came in, but it apparently fried the motherboard, because now - even with it out and FarmerPotato's chip in - we're getting sparks, a hot power board, etc. So we're pretty sure it's the motherboard, now.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the motherboard; we tried it one more time, making sure everything was in line, and we got black with white lines crawling down for a little, then a non-socketed chip on the motherboard fried. So yeah, it has to be the motherboard, at this point. We're pretty sure RickyDean's chip isn't fried, though.

Edited by xabin

We feel so dumb, now; we're trying our best to get this thing up and running, and make sure you guys' generosity doesn't go to waste, but now this happens... this didn't happen until we tried RIckyDean's chip, and he guaranteed us it worked, and we have no reason to doubt him, so... we're at a loss, now...

Just for the record, here's what happened: We got the video chip, got everything ready (made sure to discharge ourselves of static, before handling the chips), put the chip in, plugged it in, and got no signal, the power supply got hot and started smoking a bit (it was the one from FarmerPotato that we were using),. Later, when everything was settled, we tried again, and this time we got thick white staticky lines on a black background on the CRT, but then one of the soldered chips near the front of the motherboard sparked, and now we can't get anything, and it gives us a weird smell when we try using it (the motherboard, not the video chip). Dunno where we go from here, but it's so frustrating.

However, after this, we have to put our foot down on hand-outs; We still appreciate the help, but with how everything keeps going fubar on us with this, we feel we can't in good conscience accept anything else, as far as hardware goes, without at least being able to repay for the shipping. We want to give back to the community that's been so generous to us, and not feel like mooches.

Edited by xabin

I don't know if anyone else has suggested it, but instead of trying to fix your 99/4A in a piecemeal fashion, you might consider simply picking up another 99/4A and swapping all the internal parts with your original. Used 99/4A consoles are still relatively cheap and plentiful on eBay, and of course there are also collectors here on the forums who surely have a spare or two. Granted, with all-new guts, it won't entirely be "your" 99/4A when you're finished, but at least it's a way to get it up and running again.

We're already getting so many parts to refurbish this, so it's not really "our" TI, anymore, but the community's. We don't want to just ask for another handout like that, though; as we said, after all of this trouble, we feel like we should at least pay for the shipping for any future parts we get from others. Also, I did find a parts TI online on Ebay, but got outbid at the last second, and the next lowest priced one isn't going to be done for at least 3 days, so we're going to have to do some looking around.

It'll take some convincing, but I think I can talk my boyfriend into having us take the TI down to the local vintage game store to at least try and diagnose exactly what the problem is (we mentioned it when we last went there, and they suggested we bring it over, since one of the owners' dad had one); dunno how much it'll cost, but if we can get a solid idea of what is going wrong and what needs to be fixed/replaced, we should be able to do more to tackle this problem.

Edited by xabin

It'll take some convincing, but I think I can talk my boyfriend into having us take the TI down to the local vintage game store to at least try and diagnose exactly what the problem is

With respect, if you've got a smoking power supply and sparking chip on the motherboard, you're way past the point of economic or sensible repair. Time for a replacement TI from eBay, or a tested working one from a member of the community here.

With respect, if you've got a smoking power supply and sparking chip on the motherboard, you're way past the point of economic or sensible repair. Time for a replacement TI from eBay, or a tested working one from a member of the community here.

Perhaps. Damnit, this is turning out to be a nightmare for us..

Perhaps. Damnit, this is turning out to be a nightmare for us..

I for one am impressed with how much work and interaction with the community you have done so far to resolve the issue. I hope you have had some fun in learning and working with it. Please do not get discouraged. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I for one am impressed with how much work and interaction with the community you have done so far to resolve the issue. I hope you have had some fun in learning and working with it. Please do not get discouraged. :thumbsup:

It's been an adventure, I'll say that. We never expected this kind of help from the TI community, at all; we thought we'd get a little bit of advice, if that, and a whole lot of pointing to Ebay auctions for parts. The fact that we got so much more is why we're dedicated to getting this thing up and running; to make sure all of your help doesn't go to waste.

• Like 1

What does the SN74LS194AN chip do? That's the one that sparked on us, during the test.

It generates some of the internal timing signals. You could try replacing it but you need some desoldering/soldering skills to remove it without damaging the circuit board. And it's possible that chip has damaged others, possibly damaged some traces on the circuit board, and the power supply probably needs replacing if that was smoking, and that itself might have damaged some chips ...

Great. Well, we didn't fry the keyboard, since it wasn't plugged in when we made the tests, so that should be good. RickyDean is offering to throw in a power board with the deal, so that SHOULD take care of everything. We really hate to do this kind of stuff to you guys, but at least this time we can contribute something to repay the generosity.

He mentioned that we needed thermal paste for the reassembly, so I'm assuming it won't come with one, or if it does, it won't have thermal paste on it.

Yes this is just a board and power supply, it does not have the clamshell or grom port adapter. Xabin will have to transfer those parts over. So thermal paste will be necessary.

One step forward, two steps back: we got the stuff from RickyDean, and after putting it together it worked for a while, but then it locked up when we put in Jawbreaker 2, and now we're getting black screen with buzz. Also, the I key on the new keyboard we got wasn't registering when we tried it while it was working, so...

Are you plugging the TI in to a surge protector or UPS system? How is the overall electrical consistency at your place?

If multiple systems or components are getting fried, I would definitely suspect power issues. If you get surges, that'll do your systems in over time.... if you're starving the system for power, you can also jack stuff up.

Forgive my lack of technical terminology, but a few years ago I fried 3 computers in a week because of a crappy electrical system. You should have heard the "terminology" coming out of my mouth at that time....

Not only did I fry 3 TIs, but the next week--the flyback transformer on my original iMac G3 blew as well.

Carnage.... my office looked like the Normandy scenes in Saving Private Ryan.

So, now I use a UPS on all my vintage computer stuff. :). And I haven't fried anything since.

Nothing seems to be fried, this time. We plugged it into a multi-tap wall socket with a surge protector. As I said, it worked fine, until we tried putting in Jawbreaker 2, then it froze upon startup of the game, and now it's giving us a buzz with black screen.

Edited by xabin