IGNORED

Altirra multiple disks from command line

gnusto

Hey folks/Avery,

First, thanks for Altirra Avery, I learned assembly on the Atari and it and the 6502 will always be the greatest to me. 2 registers and an accumulator are all you need, get off my lawn! <shakes fist at youngins>.

On to my issue. If there is a way to do this i"m missing it - I'm looking to load multiple disks (e.g., Infocom adventures or other similar games that require side A/B rotation) via command line so it's easy from a front end. I know about the /disk switch with Altirra, but when I do a command line like this:

/hardware:800xl /kernel:xl /nobasic /noaccuratedisk /memsize:128K /ntsc /artifact:none /disk "D:\somepath\Planetfall (1983)(Infocom)(Disk 1 of 2)(US).atr" /disk "D:\somepath\Planetfall (1983)(Infocom)(Disk 2 of 2)(US).atr"

I get BOTH drives mounting Disk 2. /disk1 and /disk2, which seemed the intuitive drive specific version, doesn't make a difference (and probably just ignores the extra character I'm guessing and figures I'm telling it /disk).

If I could do this, from a front end or batch file I could load a complete game, and for those games that only understand one disk I can just assign a disk rotate keybinding and I'm still good. As there are a lot of games that required multiple sides or disks to play, would be a nice quality of life feature.

The disk option for two disks does work, I just tested it with Baker STreet, try putting the /disk commands nearer the start of the command line, it MIGHT be fussy about the order...

Also make sure there's no typo's, silly I know but so easy on a cmd line..

Also, be aware that many games don't support a second drive no matter how you want them to :)

(btw, Baker Street does not support 2 drives either :) but the disks are loaded into d1: and d2: as per the command line just to show the line is actually running correctly...Also I didn't select any hardware or other switches so it boots as a default XL

Just used your command line bar the disk locations and it loaded up the disks correctly..Seems it indeed may be your version of Altirra....

Do try and use the latest version thread (3.10 currently), the beta's are super stable and usually packed with new features..

Here's the latest link

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281825-altirra-310-released/page-13?do=findComment&comment=4190180

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hmmm. Using the latest version, I can get it work from command line, but not when invoked by the frontend (LaunchBox). I wrote a little utility to spit out the command line and dropped it in place of Altirra, and I get exactly the same usage in both cases, so that's a little puzzling.

Nevertheless looks like a frontend or environment problem, not an Altirra one. If I use /disk1 and /disk2 with the latest I get expected behavior.

And yep, I realize many games don't work with multiple disks. I just use loading multiple disks and then rotate them using a custom assigned keybind. Works great!