IGNORED

What is the best Gameboy option to buy

Jim Pez

I'd stay away from the clones. They might have nice quality backlit screens, but they have all sorts of problems (incorrect aspect ratio, incorrect resolution, inaccurate sound).

Gameboy Color doesn't suffer from the capacitor issues of the Lynx and (especially) Game Gear, so I'd think that a used one in nice condition should be just as nice a refurbished one. However, that means you need to rely on the word of the Ebay seller, so refurb might be safest.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

There's only one good GBC clone, but getting the good one of it is a crap shoot. The GB Boy Color has a lit up screen and the same general dimensions of the GBC, but it's got a few games where audio can get wonky a little, and a lesser few games that don't work. The issue really though is that some do have and some don't have a battery problem. If you get a bad one, powered down it still draws the life from your batteries and fairly fast too so if you leave them in there for a little while they're dead.

$50 isn't great for a new shell/newglass lens GBC but it's not awful. You'll need an external light source but you know it will run everything.

The best choice though depending on what you want to invest in a handheld, or for comfort sake would be either the GBA SP 101, OR, find someone to stuff that 101 panel in an original GBA style shell. That would get you the best viewing experience and comfort playing too.

stock, the best option is probably the AGS-101 backlit GBA SP, but the prices are going up and up. modified, I personally prefer a standard GBA with a modded, backlit screen.

I really do prefer the form factor of the standard GBA to the SP. Especially when playing original or Color games (they stick out too far on the SP). I really need to do the backlight mod.

I'd avoid the GB Boy Colour if you care about visual accuracy. The screens are of very nice quality and backlit, but they have the wrong aspect ratio/resolution, which causes scaling issues (diagonal lines are not rendered correctly, for instance).

Here's a good (brief) review of these units:

https://youtu.be/BjtD1mOZlPc?t=3036

If you value having a backlit modern screen over visual accuracy, it would probably be a better choice than an actual GB Color, though.

• Like 1

Like I said before, get a modded original GBA with the 101 panel in it for the best experience for screen that is lit along with controller like grip comfort.

If you're more into having things work on things designed for them, a GB Pocket or GB Light(expensive) are the best for pre-color GBC games, and GBC you have no choice other than it or the wonky GB Boy Color. GBa lots of options from stock to 101 fixed GBA to the SP (101 best) or the tiny but amazing Micro. It comes down to taste and use for the function you want.

GB is my thing I've got all the system models of the things and in most cases 2 of them for keeps and general use.

The bighter (backlit?) GBA SP is my favorite to play everything on as a portable. I bought one refurbished and a square carrying case just large enough to hold the GBA with Everdrive sticking out. The whole thing fits in my (large) hand and is super convenient.

Bitd I bought the blue GBA at launch and later the Onyx SP when it was released, the brighter version when it was released and a Micro once it was discounted. Each model replaced the previous as my main setup, except the Micro. The novelty was neat, but it's harder to control and the image quality is inferior.

I find when I just want original style GB, this really fits the need quite nicely. :D The green softens the sharpness a little, but when in no light GB pocket style mode it's crisp.

Also the GB micro doesn't have a less crisp screen than the 101, it's just smaller. If your eyes can't focus as well to it, that would be a problem. I would agree on the GB Player though, if you can't or don't want to get wrapped around using a handheld it's a great choice.

post-48371-0-01625100-1548039365_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Tanooki

Even original bricks are going up in value.

I bid on this yesterday. The red one does not even work. Bad screen. And they grey one is not mint condition either despite kind of working. And I saw some other crummy ones still getting bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-1-Red-1-Gray-5-games-1-Cartridge-Game-Boy-READ-DESCRIPTION-/292919949569?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

I find when I just want original style GB, this really fits the need quite nicely. :D The green softens the sharpness a little, but when in no light GB pocket style mode it's crisp.

Also the GB micro doesn't have a less crisp screen than the 101, it's just smaller. If your eyes can't focus as well to it, that would be a problem. I would agree on the GB Player though, if you can't or don't want to get wrapped around using a handheld it's a great choice.

Very cool. I just found out about the Gameboy light last week. I cant beleive it never left Japan.