IGNORED

batari Basic Extension for Visual Studio Code

mksmith

A new release is now available (v0.1.6) which adds preliminary Linux and macOS support! The following changes have been made.

• Fixed issues with chmod permissions for Linux and macOS (hopeully!)
  • Added extension support for Linux (and macOS?) users. Linux users on a 64-bit OS will need to ensure they can execute 32-bit applications
  • Added dasm executables for Linux and macOS users to compile assembly
  • Added message for Linux and macOS user to configure the emulator path when attempting to launch a game
  • [breaking] Updated setting dasm.compilerFolder to dasm.compilerPath so the user can now set the filename (more flexibility)
  • Removed setting emulator.use64BitEmulator as the extension will now determine which release to use based on the architecture detected (Windows only for now)
  • Removed the bbtemplatedpc starting DPC+ game template snippet as we now have templates available from the Welcome page

I've tested this on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS x64 release via Hyper-V but have yet to test on macOS and are assuming some level of issues.

For Linux users you will be required to install support for 32-bit applications. I completed the following:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lib32ncurses5 lib32z1

NOTE: I've updated the release to include a specific fix for chmod permissions for Linux and macOS - hopefully this fixes the permission denied errors (has in my case)

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 2

Just a quick update that I've had confirmation that the extension runs properly on macOS! Anyone else who can confirm either Linux or macOS would be much appreciated!!

I'm also starting to look at 7800basic integretion now that it appears cross-platform is close to complete. I'm considering doing an "Atari Developer Kit" and including everything (assembly, batari Basic and 7800basic) in the same extension so we have a one stop shop for developers. The only issue would be the syntax highlighter as bB and 7800basic share the same extension (.bas) which determines which syntax to use. Any thoughts on this??

• Like 2

I'm also starting to look at 7800basic integretion now that it appears cross-platform is close to complete. I'm considering doing an "Atari Developer Kit" and including everything (assembly, batari Basic and 7800basic) in the same extension so we have a one stop shop for developers. The only issue would be the syntax highlighter as bB and 7800basic share the same extension (.bas) which determines which syntax to use. Any thoughts on this??

I think make the default for .bas to be bB. Then the 7800basic people can override by either:

1. giving the basic program a .78b extension. (The .bas extension is just a convention. Nothing in bB or 7800basic cares about the extension)

2. including a comment in the first line that includes the string "7800basic"

3. checking off something in the gui

I don't know what the possibilities are on your end, so perhaps some of those aren't possible.

• Like 3

Just a quick update that I've had confirmation that the extension runs properly on macOS! Anyone else who can confirm either Linux or macOS would be much appreciated!!

Just that there are people with near pathological aversions to compilers without visual IDEs already in place. I am very, very grateful this type of thing is in your wheelhouse and gives you joy :) That kind of thing snowballs into happy and creative bB and 7800bas developers =)

• Like 2

I think make the default for .bas to be bB. Then the 7800basic people can override by either:

1. giving the basic program a .78b extension. (The .bas extension is just a convention. Nothing in bB or 7800basic cares about the extension)

2. including a comment in the first line that includes the string "7800basic"

3. checking off something in the gui

I don't know what the possibilities are on your end, so perhaps some of those aren't possible.

Thanks RevEng - as the common convention is currently .bas for both I was really not wanting to change what people are accustomed to if possible. The registration of a language in VS Code requires the file extension to be hard-coded into the language configuration but it is possible to use the same extension for multiple languages - VS Code allows the selection of the language from the status bar (and remembers the last one chosen). What I might do is associate both to .bas but also add .bb and .78b as additional ones so users can still continue to the existing convention but move to the new ones by choice.

Just that there are people with near pathological aversions to compilers without visual IDEs already in place. I am very, very grateful this type of thing is in your wheelhouse and gives you joy :) That kind of thing snowballs into happy and creative bB and 7800bas developers =)

Thanks! A good IDE can make all the difference and easy to start coding for newbies. For me I've enjoyed learning to build the extension and also learn some typescript as well. It's a great supportive community here so anything that can help everyone enjoy their time is good motivation to work on things such as this.

I just need to ensure it doesn't consume all my (limited) free time which has happened in the past and I don't get any actual programming in!!

• Like 1

A new release is now available (v0.1.7) which adds the following:

• Fixed issue compiling a file which was located in a subfolder of the open workspace (thanks vbauer!)
It appears we have now got the extension fully working on Linux and macOS. Thanks again to vbauer (via Github) for his assistance in adding cross-platform.

The future

I've started working on a new extension called Atari Dev Studio which will include all available dev platforms for the 8-bit family: dasm, batari Basic and 7800basic (anything else??). It will currently work in a similar way to the existing extension but will now be a one-stop-shop from homebrew. I've taken the chance to re-build it again from the ground up making it more flexible internally but also adding auto-determination of what to compile instead of you choosing.

I'll still continue to maintain this extension for the time being until the new one is up and running.

• Like 2

A new release is now available (v0.1.8 ) which adds the following:

• Added Stella 6.0 packages for Linux (Debian, 32-bit and 64-bit). macOS will still (for now) be required to provide a path to Stella.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped along the way and to the approximately 60 users who have so far installed the extension!

Atari Dev Studio update
This is coming along very nicely - really happy with how the code is laid out (very extensible), the options to automatically or manually choose the language to compile against will be great and some new buttons on the Status Bar will give quick access to the core features. Read some more about it here.

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Atari Dev Studio is now available for download here for those who would like to change over now.

I will continue to do minor updates to this extension for the time being if you wish to continue using this one.

• Like 4