IGNORED

The!Cart - New Batch Interest Poll

JAC!

Hello,

the recent batch of The!Cart was sold out in the ABBUC shop in just a few days, so we are thinking about a new batch with support from the ABBUC.

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

Estimated price is 75 EUR plus shipping for ABBUC members. Wolfgang (head of the ABBUC) also mentioned that it might be possible, as it was done in case of the Mega-Speedy, also for non-member for a few EUR more. Details depend on the demand. So to get an idea of the demand, I create this separate thread. If are interested, please post shortly as "<handle>: <number of carts> cartridges".

Another question is, if there a people (already current users) who would be interested in a dedicated USB based burner. No such device exists yet!

Price would be around 40-45 EUR. If you are interested in such a thing, please also indicate that.

Regards, Peter.

• Like 7

This is -of course- fabulous news. I have a pretty huge stack of The!Carts here, so I am not going to order anymore.

BUT

Could you please tell us whether there is still development going on with a USB programmer like the AtariMax USB programmer?

I would be very interested in a device that can program/update it faster than with the current way over SIO.

My other question: it would also be handy if there was a solution to add XEX files right away, without the need of adding to a megacart, sic or AtariMax collection first.

Anyway: I wish you, and all the related people lots of luck. It is a very good (imho the best) multi-cart available for Atari 8bit.

>My other question: it would also be handy if there was a solution to add XEX files right away, without the need of adding to a megacart, sic or AtariMax collection first.

That's on the front row of the todo list for The!Cart.
My idea is to convert the XEX (or several of them) on the fly into a self-booting ATR. Similar to why is done with ROM>=CAR and Atarimax =>CAR.

But my spare time is limited and this is not my only project.

>I would be very interested in a device that can program/update it faster than with the current way over SIO.

Let's use this thread to estimate also the demand for that. I was in contact with the creator the Mateo Cart for the 7800.
He has a universal burner which might be possible to adapt the Atari 8-bit cartridge port.

But the question is how many people would be willing to pay around 40-45 EUR for such a device then.

I am personally very satisfied with AspeQt and incremental updates at 128 kbit/s. I'll edit the first post to add the question.

• Like 7

>My other question: it would also be handy if there was a solution to add XEX files right away, without the need of adding to a megacart, sic or AtariMax collection first.

That's on the front row of the todo list for The!Cart.

My idea is to convert the XEX (or several of them) on the fly into a self-booting ATR. Similar to why is done with ROM>=CAR and Atarimax =>CAR.

But my spare time is limited and this is not my only project.

This suggestion helped me already! I forgot The!Cart supports ATR. So I use Hiassoft's PICOBOOT now and I add new games to The!Cart as ATR's. It works! And it is more convenient for me than editing AtariMax or MegaCart collections all the time. It is eating more space, but that is not really an issue. Perhaps you could ask whether you can use Hias PicoBoot bootloader. The code works very well. So it is indeed a good idea to convert XEX to a booting ATR (and perhaps it is even possible then to limit the 'atr' size to the actual used size.

Don't rush, this PICOBOOT solution works like a charm here, so I am happy enough already :D

• Like 2

I would easily buy 2 or 3 carts, if there were another case to choose instead of the cost-saving 3dprinted one, for instance something like Atarimax carts cases or similar, or something else. Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't deal with 3dprinted cases.

The AtariMax cases are fabulous, yes. But I must say that the 3d printed shell the!cart uses now is pretty cool too. The only thing I do not like it the 3d printed name on the shell. But it looks really good.

• Like 1

I would easily buy 2 or 3 carts, if there were another case to choose instead of the cost-saving 3dprinted one, for instance something like Atarimax carts cases or similar, or something else. Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't deal with 3dprinted cases.

Please check out the bottom of this page:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

and Wolf's blog.

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2663

in case your are more of a Dremel-guy :-)

• Like 1

Please check out the bottom of this page:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

and Wolf's blog.

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2663

in case your are more of a Dremel-guy :-)

Thanks! I already have seen the different case flavours here in an other thread. Although I only use XL computers and no XE computers, I like the colorful XE style cart, which does fit very well to the colorful menu of The!Cart in my opinion. Unfortunately, I'm not good at case modding, or at crafts at all - so I would pay for, if other cart shells than 3d printed were available.

Thanks! I already have seen the different case flavours here in an other thread. Although I only use XL computers and no XE computers, I like the colorful XE style cart, which does fit very well to the colorful menu of The!Cart in my opinion. Unfortunately, I'm not good at case modding, or at crafts at all - so I would pay for, if other cart shells than 3d printed were available.

Then I suggest you get in contact with Wolf(soft) via PM. I think he will be able to this for you (provided he has time). He lives near my place, so we can probably arrange something.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

July 2019 - Next Round of Interest Poll

All carts are sold out now and we have 4 people who have already stated interest in a new batch.

So if you are also interested, please send a PM to me.

- Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

July 2020 - New Batch of The!Cart Now Available

Thanks to the support from the A.B.B.U.C., a new batch of The!Cart is now available in the A.B.B.U.C. Member Shop for the price of 75 EUR. You need to be registered in the A.B.B.U.C. forum and your member ID must be linked to your account. If that link is missing, just PM one of the A.B.B.U.C. forum moderators.

2020-07-28-the-cart-in-then-abbuc-shop.j

• Like 3

I hate to keep being a pest about it - has there been any progress made on an external flasher for this cart?  I have both an original and one of the new ones with the nice white shell as above but lack of a fast external flasher keeps them relegated to the shelf these days.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I hate to keep being a pest about it - has there been any progress made on an external flasher for this cart?  I have both an original and one of the new ones with the nice white shell as above but lack of a fast external flasher keeps them relegated to the shelf these days.

Because of the new batch I have already started a new attempt, since the developer of the first idea vanished. I have an idea and I'am looking for developers familiar with Teensy LC / Arduino hardware and software development. I want it to be a very inexpensive, easy to build yourself solution based on standard parts.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JAC! said:

Because of the new batch I have already started a new attempt, since the developer of the first idea vanished. I have an idea and I'am looking for developers familiar with Teensy LC / Arduino hardware and software development. I want it to be a very inexpensive, easy to build yourself solution based on standard parts.

I don't have the needed skills on the hardware side, but I would be 100% willing to assist in the beta testing - including building whatever is necessary.

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

I don't have the needed skills on the hardware side, but I would be 100% willing to assist in the beta testing - including building whatever is necessary.

I second the beta testing part. Having a programmer would allow me to use this cart more often