IGNORED

EBay buyer nonsense

So I recently sold a Master Everdrive on eBay. Shipped it, and it arrived in perfect working order. The auction was for the cart only, no SD card, no case, no manuals. The cart shell is one of my own, that I cut a slot for the SD card, and made a custom laser printer label. Most importantly though - on the listing I chose the option to display saying "No Returns or Exchanges."

The buyer requested a return, claiming the item wasn't as described, because he thought there would be a case and documents, because in the wayyyy off background of one of the photos, you can sort-of see a very blurry corner of a clear plastic PS3 game case, and a halls cough drop wrapper.

I replied, reminding him that the item was listed as "no returns." And that his explanation of the photo was complete bullshit, andthat he should reconsider the return request.

In the end, I accepted the return, and I'm waiting for him to ship it back before issuing a refund. I don't need him hitting me with my first negative on eBay ever, on a 14 year old account with 100% perfect rating.

Still - why does eBay even offer the "No returns" accepted option, if they still allow the buyer to initiate a return.

• Like 3

I never once had to accept a return on ebay. I have have received refunds on stuff I bought though (ps3 controller that was not authentic, faulty snes to usb adapter... and some other things). But more often than not I get to keep the item anyway. Ebay is so heavily slanted to the buyer it's not even fair most of the time I've heard. I'm into music production (I have a home studio) and so I've bought and sold more expensive stuff (like synthesizers) on ebay but now I will not sell anything worth more than $100 there.

• Like 2

eBay has become garbage since they removed the ability to leave negative feedback for buyers. (Side note: as a result, I no longer leave feedback at all, since what's the point if it has to be positive?). There's no incentive for buyers to not demand the world, it doesn't matter what your listing says or not.

• Like 4

Yeah, sounds like a lie to cover for buyer's remorse. I'd consider yourself lucky. You're probably out ~$10 for shipping both ways. This kind of nonsense is really a hassle when you're shipping large, 20# items.

Pretty sure he got buyers remorse when he realized I didn't ship it with an SD card full of ROMs, which obviously O would never do because that's illegal.

• Like 2

If he doesn't ship it back in the time window ebay requires he follow you don't owe him a damn thing, they'll close the case in your favor at that rate. He could try and be a real piece of crap and try a reversal through paypal though as I've seen that get attempted before ever since ebay and them separated into 2 companies again.

I've had a d-bag try and force a return before, then got cold feet and never shipped anything and it was in my favor ended. Another time another fool tried it, then I guess wussed out and re-grew a backbone but after like the 2 week cut off period they give so again, they lost and I won. It's the one case ebay is pretty much total seller favor, when the buyer whines then backs out or waffles beyond the date they demand the item is returned to the seller and they don't send it.

RIght now I have one in limbo I don't get and it's bugging me, only went as far as email comments, and not a case but you never know. I put this stock NES all parts were too other than a modern AC adapter along with a 3 games, zapper, 2 controllers. Lady claimed it was a christmas gift, then days after christmas I get some bs message saying some contradictory stuff. At first it didn't work, then it would work if you tried a few times, or unplugged it and came back later it would work (and I don't mean blinking but power itself.) I was nice about it, re-iterated what I did to the system to refurbish it, and tried to get more detail, and then suggested trying another ac adapter as it sounds like it could be tripping out. That was the last thing said basically and nothing for a couple weeks since Jan 2nd. I'm not sure what to make of it but I feel like I'm being held hostage about it too. I'm not going to write them again in case they just forgot. They didn't over pay by any means so I don't know what the deal was there.

Sellers can win, but it has to be where the buyer makes a mistake, but it also works not by the system itself, but if you have an older account without any dings on it in the records if you call in they can typically fix things. I'm talking like you not having to pay to ship it back as ebay will comp a label, or other nice little things. I hate selling on there but I don't see much of an alternative unfortunately as game forums sales areas don't work, and facebook isn't so well policed either.

I understand why eBay is doing this -- they need to have a marketplace with nice stuff that works and where buyers can feel safe in spending their money.

Based on some of my experience, I would guess this is what happened:

- buyer is not the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with

- wants to play games fast and heard that everdrives can help

- plugged in the thing and it didn't provide immediate gratification

- fabricated an excuse to flip it, using flimsy evidence with a disc case in the frame, even if "not as described" would have sufficed for eBay to support the buyer

- buyer read the fscking manual and figured out how to load ROMs and will let the complaint time out

This is speculative, of course, but is consistent with what you've seen. Something similar happened to me with a Linux-based handheld a while back. I would block the dummy from seeing your auctions in the future.

So I recently sold a Master Everdrive on eBay. Shipped it, and it arrived in perfect working order. The auction was for the cart only, no SD card, no case, no manuals. The cart shell is one of my own, that I cut a slot for the SD card, and made a custom laser printer label. Most importantly though - on the listing I chose the option to display saying "No Returns or Exchanges."

The buyer requested a return, claiming the item wasn't as described, because he thought there would be a case and documents, because in the wayyyy off background of one of the photos, you can sort-of see a very blurry corner of a clear plastic PS3 game case, and a halls cough drop wrapper.

I replied, reminding him that the item was listed as "no returns." And that his explanation of the photo was complete bullshit, andthat he should reconsider the return request.

In the end, I accepted the return, and I'm waiting for him to ship it back before issuing a refund. I don't need him hitting me with my first negative on eBay ever, on a 14 year old account with 100% perfect rating.

Still - why does eBay even offer the "No returns" accepted option, if they still allow the buyer to initiate a return.

It really is a shit policy. I haven't sold on ebay in years but need to, and even though I haven't had issues before, I'm certain to this time around due to what I need to sell...collectibles.

Ebay has nothing to lose with it's Satisfaction Guarantee...except SELLERS who will use other means, if there only were other means, to sell their stuff. With a no-return policy, that usually means the buyer will try to get your stuff at a discount in order to 'satisfy' him. Well...that's a pretty huge window. And leaves the onus on the seller to ensure every minute detail is included or else face a return. Yet I've read about buyers who end up winning disputes over the most ridiculous stuff...it's as if you can't ever have enough details. That's why it's so important to you almost undervalue your items so as not to get them to expect something nearly new...even though it is.

I've been very lucky, nearly all my stuff is boxed, sealed. But what if they crack the seal on an item no longer in stores and for some reason don't like it? Or say the sealed game from the 90s actually doesn't work for whatever reason? It gets sent back..only for you to test it it, find out it works and that the reason the seller initiated a return was because he found the same thing a few bucks cheaper after he committed to your item. Happens all the time! Now you're stuck with a perfectly working game that has a broken seal, devaluing it immensely. And where are the protections from ebay for the seller in this case? There ARE none.

I really wish there was an alternative.

Edited by atarilovesyou

You have to make it 100% fool proof to be sure you're not going to be hit by bad buyers.

All my items are 100% described with what you'll get.

All my items are pictured where NOTHING else is in the background.

Boxes and packing are all new, never reused anything. Sealing the package with new tape, etc.

Importantly for me, I film everything from showing the item that's being shipped is in working, then going from there to packaging it, sealing it, taking it to the Post Office, buying the shipping, and transferring it from my hands to theirs.

I've had a couple buyers claim item wasn't working, and another not as described. Through communicating with the buyers, I've told them to send me pictures of what's going on and what isn't as described. Not working, I talked with them to see why it wasn't working. They said they did everything I said to do, and it still isn't working. I told them to send it back, and I'll file a claim with the post office and then refund their money when the claim is complete. I told them I have videos of the item working minutes before shipping, so the shipping insurance will have to be used. They didn't believe me, so they filed a dispute with ebay/paypal. I sent the videos to ebay and paypal and the informed the buyer that they couldn't do anything about it at that point. Not as described buyer was shut down rather quickly since it was filmed that the items were in fact in the box when I sent it.

• Like 2

Most likely answer....probably didn't read the post fully and didn't know it wasn't loaded with ROMs or realize it was going to be too much work to find ROMs now. Then probably decided he didn't want it and wanted his money back. So many retro items like these come fully loaded it's half expected now.

I've had to return a few things. Most of my returns have been PS2 games where the seller lied about the condition. The latest one had dings all over the edges(causing disc rot) and scratches on the disc itself(seller claimed none/perfect discs). Another was a seller used a terrible resurfacer(again, no scratches) and the case was broken(hidden in photos). I had another tell me "it was returned open from the post office" after a mystery refund. This was weird as the post office never "Arrival" scanned it and I got it for pretty cheap.

I've had far, far worst experiences on FB and Craigslist lol.

• Like 1

You have to make it 100% fool proof to be sure you're not going to be hit by bad buyers.

All my items are 100% described with what you'll get.

All my items are pictured where NOTHING else is in the background.

Boxes and packing are all new, never reused anything. Sealing the package with new tape, etc.

Importantly for me, I film everything from showing the item that's being shipped is in working, then going from there to packaging it, sealing it, taking it to the Post Office, buying the shipping, and transferring it from my hands to theirs.

I've had a couple buyers claim item wasn't working, and another not as described. Through communicating with the buyers, I've told them to send me pictures of what's going on and what isn't as described. Not working, I talked with them to see why it wasn't working. They said they did everything I said to do, and it still isn't working. I told them to send it back, and I'll file a claim with the post office and then refund their money when the claim is complete. I told them I have videos of the item working minutes before shipping, so the shipping insurance will have to be used. They didn't believe me, so they filed a dispute with ebay/paypal. I sent the videos to ebay and paypal and the informed the buyer that they couldn't do anything about it at that point. Not as described buyer was shut down rather quickly since it was filmed that the items were in fact in the box when I sent it.

Its a lot of work to do, but I do that too. I have never needed to use it but Im glad to see it worked out for you.

• Like 1

Given the changes in eBay's feedback system... why even worry about losing your 100%? I mean, who cares? It's not like a perfect score lets you toss out the first pitch of the World Series or earns you a spot in heaven.

Agreed... Their system is so flawed. The ONLY thing you can do to protect yourself. when you list an auction, there is a "buyer requirements" and you can select anyone who has non-paying report in the last 6 months to not be able to bid on your auctions. I did get one for no reason of my own and I was worried for about 30 seconds... why even bother ?

I even tried a few times to do a positive with feedback that says "(Negative Feedback) buyer does not pay or respond to requests for payment." and eBay will remove it.

Never mind the fact... If you give me any problems on my auctions... Non paying, or major issues, like demanding a refund for something that was clearly no returns... I just add the buyer to my blocked list. They can never bid on any of my auctions again.

There is about 40 people on my list but, I've been on ebay from 1997.....Wow, it's a long time now... Ebay can be a real pain in the a$$ to deal with...

• Like 1

That's really unfortunate. And what's worse is that people, no matter how you sell stuff, are turds. Reminds me of those videos on YouTube where somebody buys a box of Amazon returns and nearly 1/4 of the items aren't what they were purported to be because somebody bought something, swapped it for something else, and sent it back.