IGNORED

EBay buyer nonsense

nah. Even if I posted pics of the exact item and blacked out the background, under eBay 100% money back guarantee rules, he could have asked for a return anyway. He just used that as an extremely weak excuse.

True, it can be returned for any reason at all, including "changed my mind" or "found a better price".

Which is complete BS on an auction site, but who are we kidding- it's not an auction site anymore.

post-4629-0-32206600-1548770335_thumb.png

Edited by R.Cade

That actually sounds right to something I got over the phone before off an escalation that got a thinking American rep. If someone whines and wants a return because or not satisfied, they have to pay to return it and you can even hit them with a restocking fee too. But if they can create a case where it looks like it is your fault by not including things (condition, missing bits, etc) then they'll stick you with the shipping bill.

Perhaps what you can do is offer a return, but tell them they have to pay shipping and there will be a restocking fee (say like 15%) to cover ebay/pp fees since they're not satisfied with what you mailed them despite giving them exactly what was described and shown.

That actually sounds right to something I got over the phone before off an escalation that got a thinking American rep. If someone whines and wants a return because or not satisfied, they have to pay to return it and you can even hit them with a restocking fee too. But if they can create a case where it looks like it is your fault by not including things (condition, missing bits, etc) then they'll stick you with the shipping bill.

Perhaps what you can do is offer a return, but tell them they have to pay shipping and there will be a restocking fee (say like 15%) to cover ebay/pp fees since they're not satisfied with what you mailed them despite giving them exactly what was described and shown.

Unfortunately, you don't control that. You don't "offer" a return... it's all automatic. If they say "not as described" then you pay shipping. I guess you could call eBay and argue about it... they are counting on your time being more valuable than that, which it should be. It can't cost more than $3.50 to ship that cart First Class, and $7 for Priority. Not worth the time...

You can report the buyer for violating eBay policies, for what that is worth. Nothing happens that I know of, but if it makes you feel better... (That's likely all it is for).

Edited by R.Cade

I don't think there is any mechanism to enforce a restocking fee. As I understand it, if the buyer shows he put it in the hands of the postal service/ups/fedex, paypal will credit him automatically with the payment amount.

Fortunately you can block individual buyers, so one bitten, twice shy.

I know you can file an Internet Fraud Report with the FBI, but the FBI must receive thousands or hundreds of thousands of those reports every year, I doubt the FBI has the manpower to investigate every report, especially if the amount in question is $50. Maybe its the threat of having it followed up that makes ebay take it more seriously, like the threat of a random audit does for taxpayers.

Unfortunately, you don't control that. You don't "offer" a return... it's all automatic. If they say "not as described" then you pay shipping. I guess you could call eBay and argue about it... they are counting on your time being more valuable than that, which it should be. It can't cost more than $3.50 to ship that cart First Class, and $7 for Priority. Not worth the time...

You can report the buyer for violating eBay policies, for what that is worth. Nothing happens that I know of, but if it makes you feel better... (That's likely all it is for).

As a buyer,

I've had to return 2 "no return" items within a month. Both times it seemed the sellers were trying to scam. This latest return had the seller hide damage within photos and incorrectly label condition. I immediately took pictures of the damaged area and did a return. I even put within the return claim how it was misleading, incorrect, and arrived damaged that wasn't caused by shipping. Both claims went right through. I wish I didn't have to use ebay, but local stores don't carry the games I'm looking for anymore.

As a seller,

I feel your pain. I use to sell some TCG stuff when I played. It was a constant headache with no payment buyers or extreme low balls emailed(since auto reject was on). I just got sick of it and stopped selling. I even had one buyer win the auction and email me "I don't want it anymore".

I even had one buyer win the auction and email me "I don't want it anymore".

I've actually had that happen a few times.

I even had one guy tell me he didn't want to pay because he "didn't really expect the bidding to go that high"!!

Then why did you bid that high??

Edited by ls650

I don't get it...is it a new rule or something? I haven't sold on ebay for over a year so am a bit out of touch. Are you saying that now you always have to accept a return? Is there no "no returns" option anymore?

I don't mean a case when buyer has a legitimate reason (or thinks he has) for return, but BS like "I changed my mind/found a better price/just didn't like it". WTFITS? I used to sell PC components worth hundreds of bucks, this is the kinda stuff that you base your other operations/living on and some flakey jackwad can blow it all up with "just didn't like it"?

It has been longer than that, though maybe not for the actual thing you can click (seen picture of it just yesterday) where you can go 'I do not want it anymore' as a valid choice and you have to take the return. The no returns checkbox has been cuddle blanket of uselessness for years and gets more obviously so with that latest stunt.

And earlier when you said you have no choice, maybe not int he system, but what you can do it. When you see things going bad, since ebay logs everything in messages, act nice and offer a return on the item through their messenger. I've done this before, it deterred some waffler as they had the option to print their own return label however they liked (say through paypal "ship now") and accept I'd take 15% off to take it back. Usually annoys the hell out of someone as I've never had someone go through with it. The only reason I did this is I got pissed when someone tried something like 5 years ago or so, and I called ebay about it. They said as a seller it is my right since they view even a non-business as a business, the option to demand a restocking fee IF the item is not being returned because I caused the issue. So when someone says like in this thread trap they assumed there was a box or something, but it is not seen or listed in the auction itself, then I'd have every right to call them on their crap and demand payment for my wasted time getting it back and relisting it again.

Also you mentioned 3.50 this 7 dollars that. I value my time, but I also refuse to bend over and take it on principle. I'll sit on the phone (and have) for an hour to school someone in how scamming isn't easy.

• Like 1

cuddle blanket of uselessness

I like that. Gonna steal it...

As far as selling goes on Ebay, I've never had anyone request a return. Had one person ask for a partial refund because she thought I charged too much for shipping. EBay's shipping fee calculator is usually pretty bad from what I've seen. I think there are a couple of sales that I've made that, after shipping costing more than I thought and Ebay getting their cut, I think I broke even or lost money on.

As far as buying goes, I've only ever returned one item. A Game Gear with no sound (imagine that!). Buyer said it worked, got it and it didn't. This was 15 or 16 years ago, though, so I don't remember how return shipping costs were handled.

Side Note: That Game Gear came with a Spider Man game. I played it a bit, with no sound, before returning it all. To this day, that is the only Spider Man game I have played. (Not counting things like Lego Marvel Super Heroes or Marvel vs Capcom which Spider Man appears in.)

Side Note: That Game Gear came with a Spider Man game. I played it a bit, with no sound, before returning it all. To this day, that is the only Spider Man game I have played. (Not counting things like Lego Marvel Super Heroes or Marvel vs Capcom which Spider Man appears in.)

Only took one Spider Man game to put you off Spider Man games for life? :D Marvel video games on 8-bit and 16-bit consoles rarely rose above mediocre status, but Spider Man games were lucky to get even to that relatively-hallowed status.

• Like 1

I've actually had that happen a few times.

I even had one guy tell me he didn't want to pay because he "didn't really expect the bidding to go that high"!!

Then why did you bid that high??

I changed them to all "buy it nows" shortly before him after an item run up with a no payment/contact buyer.

I also changed shipping when I got hit by that "shipping fee" they introduced. I just upped my prices a bit and made shipping free.

I still have some of the cards as I refused to sell anything anymore on there.

True, it can be returned for any reason at all, including "changed my mind" or "found a better price".

Which is complete BS on an auction site, but who are we kidding- it's not an auction site anymore.

Thats ridiculous. This isnt Amazon. Im sure they expect the seller to absorb all the added costs?

Thats ridiculous. This isnt Amazon. Im sure they expect the seller to absorb all the added costs?

They do, but only in the case the seller can pick a reason that lays the blame on you. If they're stupid or honest enough to pull the I do not like it, they pay for the return shipping. In that case, you get your item and fees returned. If they do blame you, then you lose the return shipping, lose your original fees too if I remember right. In most cases the seller just eats it like a big box business with a loss prevention department that has a budget and process to eat stuff like that as they don't care. As you said, like amazon.

So I got it back today. Stopped by the PO at lunch and it was there waiting. Lady at the PO messed up and just handed it to me, and didn't charge me for the change of delivery which was supposed to be postage due! Bonus!

Popped it open when I got back to the office and it is my original Krikzz board, not a knock off. Once I get it home tonight and test it, I will issue the guy's refund.

Certainly not the worst experience, and since I sold a few other items since and made up the difference, now I can just keep it.

• Like 2