IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

Can we do a small release of this game WITH the music PLZ? This is incredible!! I'm sure John Romero would sign off on it if needed :)

Isn't it with Bethesda now? Want to get 100% fixed network code in here, already have the straff stuff.

• Like 4

He did this recently, not sure how the licensing worked.

https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil

So he created data that runs on the doom engine. The doom source is under GPL but the art and sound assets are not. Of course the doom name is still property of id/Bethesda (idthesda?), so if you wanted to release a full doom game, it would have to be with their consent.

One could take this modified Jag source that CJ has done and create all new levels, music and graphics and create a completely new game from it though. Maybe change the sprites of the imps and marines to strange mutant plumbers in a hedgehog costume or a bandicoot costume. Could be fun.

So he created data that runs on the doom engine. The doom source is under GPL but the art and sound assets are not. Of course the doom name is still property of id/Bethesda (idthesda?), so if you wanted to release a full doom game, it would have to be with their consent.

One could take this modified Jag source that CJ has done and create all new levels, music and graphics and create a completely new game from it though. Maybe change the sprites of the imps and marines to strange mutant plumbers in a hedgehog costume or a bandicoot costume. Could be fun.

you mean what belboz and vimaster were working on years ago before they jumped ship?

Can't wait to hack the status bar fix into the roms I made. Besides the demos being out of whack, these will be perfect!

(Oh, and I mean the demos out of whack bc maps 3 & 6 that I hacked in don't match up to the action on screen :lol: )

• Like 2

So, here's a bit of a write up:

The status panel is pretty simple to fix - the game rebuilds the object list each frame on the GPU, simple add an X offset to the low word of the last phrase for both the status panel and the overlay. Job done.

Now, the music.... oh boy here we go ;)

So, DOOM has a ring buffer for the sample playback (pretty common thing)

The problem is that the audio system is designed to have either music OR sfx rendering into this buffer. What I did was have both routines read the previous content of the buffer, ADD the new sample, then normalise again before writing it back. This works... HOWEVER... the sample appear to stutter a bit (the music is rock solid)

• I've lowered the replay frequency and it still stutters, so this is not down to bandwidth at the playback phase.
  • I have reduced the number of SFX channels to 2, and it still stutters, so its not down to sample rendering.
  • I have had it render both SFX and music, and only send SFX to the DACs - this works
  • I have had it render both SFX and music, and only send MUS to the DACs - this also works

So, the issue is clearly in the way I'm mixing the samples here, but the audio code is, frankly, a mess. I've got a good handle on what its doing though so I'll keep playing with it between other things, but have to walk away from this for a while because it's frustratingly almost working, and also frustratingly preventing me working on thrusty and some other stuff. We've waited 20 years, I think we'll be ok for a bit longer.

I'm also not convinced this is the final source, because sometimes a level will just end randomly and go to the next. Anyone else seen this with this source? I'm also investigating ripping this crap out and putting the U235SE in, which should give a significant frame rate boost. Are the ExMx midi files available as MODules? If not, maybe a CD audio track could be mixed in.

I'm not dropping this, but I am putting it on the back burner for a while so I can get to some other stuff (reBOOTed, Strike) that has to be done.

Good progress this week, though :)

• Like 18

Excellent progress indeed, thanks for the write up!

My apologies, I completely forgot I also discovered the levels will sometimes randomly end after enabling the FX+music mixing. I can confirm this doesn't happen with just building the original code or even when building with strafe support. I'll go back and see if I can build a stable version with mixing.

I really appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this! Really looking forward to all the projects you have in the pipeline, thrusty especially!

Edited by BeefMan
  • Like 1

Awesome work CJ (and everyone involved in this). Compelling bit from your writeup - "I'm also investigating ripping this crap out and putting the U235SE in, which should give a significant frame rate boost." That would be awesome.

All we need now is someone to count the framerate on your newly posted Youtube videos, so we can get an idea of how much the music slowed down the gameplay. If you get the framerate boosted enough, do you there there is enough NumberWang potential in the Jag to boost the resolution to 1200*240? :grin:

• Like 3