IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

Good work, CJ! I was always bugged by the status bar being off, but never spent time figuring out what made it do that. Also adding in the music is a nice touch -- I had done a quick hack to do it years ago, but noticed it distorted quite a bit, so I just left it off in future builds.

I still haven't gotten back to test the networking code I released 2+ years ago in the other thread. It worked flawless for me at the time, but I know at least Saturn reported there were still hang-ups. It's just so time-consuming to test, since you need to prove it will play for 60+ min without messing up.

• Like 7

Good work, CJ! I was always bugged by the status bar being off, but never spent time figuring out what made it do that. Also adding in the music is a nice touch -- I had done a quick hack to do it years ago, but noticed it distorted quite a bit, so I just left it off in future builds.

I still haven't gotten back to test the networking code I released 2+ years ago in the other thread. It worked flawless for me at the time, but I know at least Saturn reported there were still hang-ups. It's just so time-consuming to test, since you need to prove it will play for 60+ min without messing up.

im not saying it didnt work ok for you but it was tested at e-jagfest 2017 and selecting one of the mode (cant remember wich it was now, maybe co-op) it failed amost instanty this was with using a jaglink.

after some fannying about with it it was abondoned as a lost cause and we went back to something more enjoyable that worked properly ;-)

• 2 months later...

Impressive what can be achived by modding Doom for the Jaguar. I'm curious if the new Romero Level Mod based on Doom 1 (WAD Files) would be playable on the Jaguar? https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il

Briefly discussed it here. I don't think it'd be possible to do the original justice on the Jag.

• Like 1

So, here's a bit of a write up:

The status panel is pretty simple to fix - the game rebuilds the object list each frame on the GPU, simple add an X offset to the low word of the last phrase for both the status panel and the overlay. Job done.

Now, the music.... oh boy here we go ;)

So, DOOM has a ring buffer for the sample playback (pretty common thing)

The problem is that the audio system is designed to have either music OR sfx rendering into this buffer. What I did was have both routines read the previous content of the buffer, ADD the new sample, then normalise again before writing it back. This works... HOWEVER... the sample appear to stutter a bit (the music is rock solid)

• I've lowered the replay frequency and it still stutters, so this is not down to bandwidth at the playback phase.
  • I have reduced the number of SFX channels to 2, and it still stutters, so its not down to sample rendering.
  • I have had it render both SFX and music, and only send SFX to the DACs - this works
  • I have had it render both SFX and music, and only send MUS to the DACs - this also works
So, the issue is clearly in the way I'm mixing the samples here, but the audio code is, frankly, a mess. I've got a good handle on what its doing though so I'll keep playing with it between other things, but have to walk away from this for a while because it's frustratingly almost working, and also frustratingly preventing me working on thrusty and some other stuff. We've waited 20 years, I think we'll be ok for a bit longer.

I'm also not convinced this is the final source, because sometimes a level will just end randomly and go to the next. Anyone else seen this with this source? I'm also investigating ripping this crap out and putting the U235SE in, which should give a significant frame rate boost. Are the ExMx midi files available as MODules? If not, maybe a CD audio track could be mixed in.

I'm not dropping this, but I am putting it on the back burner for a while so I can get to some other stuff (reBOOTed, Strike) that has to be done.

Good progress this week, though :)

sounds like lfo modulation or stereo pan tremelo. Also the sound resolution goes down. Try mono music on one Chanel fx on other. You tried interrupting muting lowest volume the music on dac the sound plays on?

sounds like lfo modulation or stereo pan tremelo. Also the sound resolution goes down. Try mono music on one Chanel fx on other. You tried interrupting muting lowest volume the music on dac the sound plays on?

The audio doesn't work like that. Appreciate the enthusiasm, but without looking at the source it's a bit worthless.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, BeefMan said:

Yes! How’d you do it!

Anyway I could try it out? :)

Magic? No - found a memory hole that allowed me to create a second ring buffer, then broke down the SFX and Music code to render into their own buffers, and mixed them in the output render stage.  I've got a bit of cleaning up to do and then we'll see about getting a nice public build of the source available, with fixed panel, network code and music :)

Did you ever find out why some levels just randomly end? That is going to need to be fixed :)

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Magic? No - found a memory hole that allowed me to create a second ring buffer, then broke down the SFX and Music code to render into their own buffers, and mixed them in the output render stage.  I've got a bit of cleaning up to do and then we'll see about getting a nice public build of the source available, with fixed panel, network code and music atariage_icon_smile.gif

Did you ever find out why some levels just randomly end? That is going to need to be fixed atariage_icon_smile.gif

I haven’t, it def doesn’t happen with just the Pro Controller support added. Let me review it again this week, I’m sure it can be resolved!

What a hell of an achievement! Accomplishing what was seen as impossible for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BeefMan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

Would like to try out this out.  Is there a link to download the game?  Any plans in physical release of this?  I would gladly pay for a physical copy.  Awesome job on this achievement.

Woah, hold up there partner! Put that six-shooter back in the hoster :)

It's been 25 years, I'm sure a bit longer won't matter ;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

Would like to try out this out.  Is there a link to download the game?  Any plans in physical release of this?  I would gladly pay for a physical copy.  Awesome job on this achievement.

8 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Woah, hold up there partner! Put that six-shooter back in the hoster :)

It's been 25 years, I'm sure a bit longer won't matter ;)

Just asking.  I wasn't making any demands.  I'm just excited (as I am sure are all Atari Jaguar fans) about Jaguar Doom finally being made complete with music and hope that it will eventually be shared with the masses.  I'm content to wait for it and pay for a copy.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

Just asking.  I wasn't making any demands.  I'm just excited (as I am sure are all Atari Jaguar fans) about Jaguar Doom finally being made complete with music and hope that it will eventually be shared with the masses.  I'm content to wait for it and pay for a copy.

We all excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2