IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

12 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Quick update:

We (The Elite Jaguar Doom Modding Crew who are Not At All Winging It)...

• went back and verified that the base source code is stable (it is)
  • added the panel mod and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added the music mod, remapped the ROM, increased the space for the IWAD and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added strafe and remapped the weapons and map because 4 and 6 are now the shoulders (in testing)

Once we're happy with this, onto the network code :)

HELL ON EARTH.

Incredible work CJ thank you! This must be played via emulation I assume?

As I mentioned back in this thread, here is how I left the networking code as of 3 (!) years ago:

The way I left the code was this:

1. Consistency check failures (player coordinates don't match) result in a "forced sync" of player coordinates. Gameplay always continues. This was happening fairly frequently.
  2. Checksum failures (UART glitch) display the "network error" screen and reset the network. I did not observe this in several 60+ minute sessions.

Basically, I did nothing to fix the infamous UART glitch, because that's not why Doom was failing so frequently. It was failing because the player coordinates were note being kept in sync. So, it is entirely possible that if you play long enough, you'll hit the actual UART glitch.

The simplest way to fix this would be to combine the "forced sync" with the "handshake and retry" method I posted upstream. The odds of two UART glitches happening back-to-back after a retry would be very slim, and you could always up the retry count to 3 or 4 to make it even less likely. Since it only happens in an error path, it wouldn't slow down 99.99% of the game.

As I recall, the original code simply declared "network error" and reset the players/level if the consistency check ever failed. So it was the mismatch of coordinates, and not the UART bug, which causes the published Doom code to fail so often.

I also don't think I ever ended up including the z-coordinate in the packet, as that was at the tail end of my investigation. Thus between including the z-coordinate and retries on checksum failure, that ought to make the network code pretty solid.

Let me know if you want some help looking at the networking code again. I actually have some free time for this week and would enjoy a project.  :) 

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 6

I'm going to throw this out there, I'm sure people will laugh, but with the enabling of music in Doom is pretty awesome. How about adding music to Trevor McFur ;) Yeah I said it! I was thinking since it is a 2mb ROM there is more space available to ad music to the actual game. There is music in the menus and the opening title screen

Edited by UHATEIT

On 8/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, UHATEIT said:

I'm going to throw this out there, I'm sure people will laugh, but with the enabling of music in Doom is pretty awesome. How about adding music to Trevor McFur ;) Yeah I said it! I was thinking since it is a 2mb ROM there is more space available to ad music to the actual game. There is music in the menus and the opening title screen

I'll see your Trevor McFur request and up you.  How about music in Native? ?I'll get my coat before the flames burn me!

On the whole Doom this was the music already there and needed to be unlocked or did you have to ad it in? On the Trevor McFur request it it's not there could it be copied from another part of the game or would custom music need to be created? I feel like some epic 80s hair metal would be awesome like Lord's of Thunder on the Sega CD. 

10 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

On the whole Doom this was the music already there and needed to be unlocked or did you have to ad it in? On the Trevor McFur request it it's not there could it be copied from another part of the game or would custom music need to be created? I feel like some epic 80s hair metal would be awesome like Lord's of Thunder on the Sega CD. 

Yes. Sort of. I explained it previously.

As for Trevor McShite, can you go make another thread, please? This one is for JagDoom.

• Like 1