IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

The new levels are no longer hacked up and sized to fit over the existing ones in the ROM, these are unaltered LUMPS directly from the editor (not even padded) merged into a new PWAD (JWAD) and appended to the game.

Total build time for 19 new levels (From the lumps).... 3 seconds :)

Goodbye spreadsheets, goodbye hex editors, goodbye calculators... just make and export your levels and away you go!

Side effect of this is we can now replace any asset in the IWAD easily and without fuss.

To Do: Add NRV2 compression to allow even bigger JWADs!

• Like 18

Well now... This just got simples ;)

image.thumb.png.507764423531b04e56fe08d2bd8670fd.png

To make a JWAD, save the LUMPS from the editor into a folder and type "makejwad mynewmap" to receive a packed JWAD (Using LZ77 at the moment) ... then copy that into the JWAD folder and magic happens.

Padding is automatic to 4/6mb as required. A good weekends work! :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

To make a JWAD, save the LUMPS from the editor into a folder and type "makejwad mynewmap" to receive a packed JWAD (Using LZ77 at the moment) ... then copy that into the JWAD folder and magic happens.

Holy moly that is awesome - nice work!  Will these tools be shared somewhere so us budding map designers can torture ourselves and other Jag fans :)

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 6:14 AM, CyranoJ said:

See - we knew you had simple "point and click" toolchains for your conversions :dunce:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, trixster said:

I’ve been following this thread with interest for a while! Now that the SD cartridge is in peoples’ hands, when do you think this will get a release? I’m itching to play JagDoom with music and shoulder strafing! :)

When it's ready ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:12 PM, Sporadic said:

When it's ready ?

... this was a notable John Carmack-ism in case that went over any1's head.

Love it.

Nice work guys. 

I've actually heard Carmack mention his love for the Wolf & Doom Jag ports in an interview. Oddly enough he mentioned shoulder buttons, making me think he coded it at one point. You guys should tweet this at him once done. He'll dig it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swansea_Mariner said:

Wow just amazing to have the spider demon back in the jag version, anyone know why it and cyber demons were missing from the release?

Didn't I.D release at statement at the time,saying due to the high costs of cartridge memory,they were having to remove "objects that had no function"   (misc steps on stairs, Blood Puddles etc) as they wanted to fit as many levels as possible onto the cartridge? 

3 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

Didn't I.D release at statement at the time,saying due to the high costs of cartridge memory,they were having to remove "objects that had no function"   (misc steps on stairs, Blood Puddles etc) as they wanted to fit as many levels as possible onto the cartridge? 

Are you saying they would've made a much more faithful port if they'd released it on the Jag CD? 

Not at all ;-)

I'm saying in the pea soup that is my memory, there seemed to be a lot of heated debate back in the day as to why the SFX 2 chip enabled Doom on the 16 bit SNES had things like in-game music, night vision goggles and Spider Demons and the Jaguar version did not..

And people started banging on the proverbial door of I.D demanding explanations and to know what else was going to be cut and why.

And to quell the pitchfork and burning torches brigade,  high cartridge memory prices was put forward as the explanation. 

This was around the time they were interviewed in ST Format (i think) saying if Jaguar Doom sold well enough, they would bring Doom II to the Jaguar.

But so much rubbish was written by the UK press alone at times regarding I.D and the Jaguar (Quake 30% complete :-))) 

I'm merely saying that's what i remember being stated at the time.

But like how many years since Jaguar Doom was a W.I.P?