IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

I’d guess there was only so much time and money dedicated to the project and they simply ran out of one or the other or both.

Not sure a CD port would of been any better based off of the constant streaming and it’s impact to frame rate it had on the 3DO version.

What id was able to do on the Jag is still quite impressive. I’m really looking forward the enhancements in the works though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, BeefMan said:

I’d guess there was only so much time and money dedicated to the project and they simply ran out of one or the other or both.

Not sure a CD port would of been any better based off of the constant streaming and it’s impact to frame rate it had on the 3DO version.

What id was able to do on the Jag is still quite impressive. I’m really looking forward the enhancements in the works though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. 

Atari knew it needed Jaguar Doom whilst there was still enough of a viable commercial market for the Jaguar to stand any chance of hanging in there..

I.D knew it had to be out whilst there was still a  commercial Jaguar market.

Dave Taylor says sales wise it bombed.

We never saw anything else from I.D after it, so it stands to reason sales were well below expectations,  even revised ones. 

How would we of felt if Carmack had said it'll be ready when it's ready, i'm coding from the ground up and rest assured it will make full use of the hardware,  but it will be 6 months+ later than we hoped and then 3 months later says something like..

As much as i've enjoyed coding on the Jaguar,  it's retail presence has simply become so miniscule,  it makes no buisness sense to continue

Jaguar Doom is now officially on hold until the market situation improves.

Thanks to I.D back then, my friends and i got to play a bloody great version of Doom without needing a PC.

Thanks to the sterling efforts put in by those working on the code today,  Jaguar owners will get to play an even better version yet.

That's something i never thought i would see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Not at all ;-)

I'm saying in the pea soup that is my memory, there seemed to be a lot of heated debate back in the day as to why the SFX 2 chip enabled Doom on the 16 bit SNES had things like in-game music, night vision goggles and Spider Demons and the Jaguar version did not..

And people started banging on the proverbial door of I.D demanding explanations and to know what else was going to be cut and why.

And to quell the pitchfork and burning torches brigade,  high cartridge memory prices was put forward as the explanation. 

This was around the time they were interviewed in ST Format (i think) saying if Jaguar Doom sold well enough, they would bring Doom II to the Jaguar.

But so much rubbish was written by the UK press alone at times regarding I.D and the Jaguar (Quake 30% complete :-))) 

I'm merely saying that's what i remember being stated at the time.

But like how many years since Jaguar Doom was a W.I.P?

Mccarmack  did work on a quake on Jaguar. 

Certain aspects of the Jaguar community need a reality check. 

I.D owed us nothing. 

No explanations of how Doom was being converted..their future Jaguar plans, why said plans were on hold and how Doom would of been improved if coded from the ground up..yet they took the time to share the information

Cyrano Jones and others  owe us nothing-yet has been kind enough to do regular updates on this and other projects on the go.

Yes I.D could of done Jaguar Doom differently. .they admit that. 

Jim Bagley wanted to do Saturn Doom differently I.D wouldn't allow it and in hindsight admit that was a mistake.

3DO Doom could of been done differently and we know why it was so poor.

32X Doom could of be done differently. 

And so on and so on.

Threads exist for all the above and for fantasy games on Jaguar...conspiracy theories on Jaguar. 

Shouldn't we be thanking people for the work they constantly put in to this day to ensure the community has a steady stream of quality titles?

And passing on our gratitude to those commercial coders who gave us flagship titles in amongst the crud?.

Some basic gratitude would go a bloody long way at times.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Frickin fantastic! Just curious, was the asset in there but essentially not surfaceable, or did you all add it as a new asset to the engine?  Great work for those involved...........I can see some crazy Jag PWADS coming in the future ;)

No the assets weren't in there ;)

Anything unused was stripped out probably to save space.

• Like 3