IGNORED

Unreleased Jaguar Games.

jenovi

13 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Ok let us know if anything changes for you. The reports are sounding Apocalyptic.

If anything changes I'll be sure to log into AA and report on it before moving my family and myself to safety... :)  (Thanks, I do appreciate the sentiment, though)

It is really bad, luckily not here around me. Here's some overlays for perspective:

ENKA3ziUYAA1wsV.png

ENKA3zuUYAAnmEs.png

• Sad 2

• 2 months later...

I actually planned to do an article about Imagitec's fabled Freelancer 2120 but that will have to wait. Instead, here's some magazines scans i found online a time ago in chronological order + some links. Two of them are the ones hosted on abandonware.org, while others are much less seen or talked about. I'm not including the GamesMaster one, since that one is pretty much seen elsewhere...:

- Joystick (#42/October 1993): https://www.abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=30&num=592&album=oui
- DieHard GameFan (Vol. 2, #5/April 1994)
- DieHard GameFan (Vol. 2, #6/May 1994)
- Video Games (#30/May 1994): https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AVideoGames_DE_1994-05.pdf&page=38
- Video Games (#44/July 1995): https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:VideoGames_DE_1995-07.pdf&page=14

Joystick%20042%20-%20Page%20%20081%20(octobre%201993).jpg

Joystick%20042%20-%20Page%20%20082%20(octobre%201993).jpg

Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_05_0135.jpg

Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_06_0131.jpg

page38-419px-VideoGames_DE_1994-05_pdf.jpg

page39-420px-VideoGames_DE_1994-05_pdf.jpg

page14-419px-VideoGames_DE_1995-07_pdf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, i'm trying to rebuild the magazine album collection at Jeffrey's new Facebook group. While doing so, i found this piece of information on french magazine CD Consoles, which states what titles Williams Brothers Developments were doing for the Atari Jaguar. It's really enlightening... (P.S.: Only Sensible Soccer came out from them via Telegames)

Page%20020.jpg

Edited by KidGameR186496
Added additional information.

5 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Currently, i'm trying to rebuild the magazine album collection at Jeffrey's new Facebook group.

A website or a static forum page is better than the crapfest that is facebook for this stuff. In a few posts it will have scrolled off into the abyss and be lost.

• Like 4

Also the translation is basically "Williams intend doing these titles.... The first will be out by telegames. They'll look for partners when the rest are finished" so..... No real info on actual development, timelines, unattributed source. 

It highlights the problem with solely using magazine quotes as "proof" unfortunately. 

Edited by Welshworrier
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2020 at 2:45 AM, KidGameR186496 said:

I actually planned to do an article about Imagitec's fabled Freelancer 2120 but that will have to wait. Instead, here's some magazines scans i found online a time ago in chronological order + some links. Two of them are the ones hosted on abandonware.org, while others are much less seen or talked about. I'm not including the GamesMaster one, since that one is pretty much seen elsewhere...:

- Joystick (#42/October 1993): https://www.abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=30&num=592&album=oui
- DieHard GameFan (Vol. 2, #5/April 1994)
- DieHard GameFan (Vol. 2, #6/May 1994)
- Video Games (#30/May 1994): https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AVideoGames_DE_1994-05.pdf&page=38
- Video Games (#44/July 1995): https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:VideoGames_DE_1995-07.pdf&page=14

Joystick%20042%20-%20Page%20%20081%20(octobre%201993).jpg

Joystick%20042%20-%20Page%20%20082%20(octobre%201993).jpg

Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_05_0135.jpg

Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_06_0131.jpg

page38-419px-VideoGames_DE_1994-05_pdf.jpg

page39-420px-VideoGames_DE_1994-05_pdf.jpg

page14-419px-VideoGames_DE_1995-07_pdf.jpg

As I'm sure you've been told previously :

1. The first 2 pictures are taking about pc version (it's on the box at the start of the article. 

2. The next 2 are the discredited Europa article where they retracted the announcements in the next issue e.g. Shadow. It also says "if they can maintain the 25fps of the pc version" - meaning it's all supposition, they don't know what it's going to look and run like. 

3. The last 3 are a rewrite of a lot of what's in the first 2 pages (the pc version) and uses the same pictures in most cases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welshworrier said:

As I'm sure you've been told previously :

1. The first 2 pictures are taking about pc version (it's on the box at the start of the article. 

2. The next 2 are the discredited Europa article where they retracted the announcements in the next issue e.g. Shadow. It also says "if they can maintain the 25fps of the pc version" - meaning it's all supposition, they don't know what it's going to look and run like. 

3. The last 3 are a rewrite of a lot of what's in the first 2 pages (the pc version) and uses the same pictures in most cases. 

The Freelancer Story has pretty much been covered to death as is.

If people are going off Press coverage, then you'd have to include Imagitec Design announcing it for the Amiga originally :-)) 

Your then left with Piglet mini-interview in Atari Entertainment Magazine.

Andrew Seed talking to Atari Explorer about how (badly)  PC version was running using Argonaut BRrender technology 

French website using PC screens

The Gamesmaster Magazine preview (PC screens) 

Serial bullshitter Martin Hooley telling myself in Ultimate Future Games magazine one version of events as to why it was cancelled and RG magazine another years later.

Shaun Mcclure kindly explaining the utter,utter nightmare the PC version was due to the assigned producer who took the game concept with him to Gremlin 

The Atari Corp documents giving it's status and that Imagitec had taken delivery of the Jaguar Doom

Engine for the Jaguar version 

And the stop-motion model maker website with him unwilling to talk about work on the game.

The only real story would relate the PC version as at least that was up and running.

• 2 months later...

Found a bit more info for you on Space Junk Jenovi. 

Plot was that Randolf GRR Zion had been traveling through space in his cargo ship ( The Righteous Dub) with his partner. 

Pirates hijack the ship, dump Randolf on a sleazy planet and Randolf has to discover who stole the ship, what cargo it was carrying and what happened to his partner. 

A lot of time was spent on the Sega MCD version working on the Real Time Animation system and having to rework the live action film sequences  from 16 million colours to 12 grey scale tones as using 16 colours resulted in blurred animation. 

Bigger issues were the masks and costumes needed for the 60 interactive characters, not everyone at Imagitec wanted to under go the clay molding process for the unique latex masks, as the process took upto half a day and when the moulds were peeled off, they often took with them chunks of hair and skin. 

Masks were being made by Soft Options, who made the Spitting Image Puppets. 

After 7 months work on Sega CD version, only 10 of the live action character sequences had been filmed, Imagitec trying to film 3 sequences a week. 

Backgrounds and plot still to be finished. 

Imagitec said they wanted to produce something exceptional, something to compete with the best CD technology. 

They thought the game could set a trend for the future and they wanted to create a feeling of spontaneity in the 60 interactive characters. 

Game promised a monstrous soundtrack, a massive game world and over 60 minutes of real time animation. 

Hope this background info is of use, it's more than was featured in the old RetroGamer Magazine article on Imagitec Design if nothing else. 

32 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

Bit more for Jenovi. 

Found and forwarded to Unseen64 an Amiga and Amiga CD 32 Preview page where Amiga Raiden and Evolution are shown, along with what looks like talk (it's in French) of CD32 Space Junk and Freelancer 2120.

Email me if you want it. 

Hah, I remember the Amiga CD-32. There was a guy who found a storage unit full of them. I bought one for like $39 bucks, brand new in the box. I hooked it up, played it for like 3 minutes, and put it away. Sold it a year later for ~$70 something on eBay. Now they're much more... wonder what that storage unit was all about...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re:Battle wheels 2000

I was reading a preview feature of Beyond Software's Redline for the PC and Clark Stacey (Beyond V. P) was talking of how the company had been working for years on game design for a spiritual follow up to Lynx Battle wheels, but it had taken PC 3D hardware over 5 years to reach the appropriate plateau for the concepts to be fully implemented. 

He sounded very proud of the games physics and collision engine. 

Maybe we simply need to accept the fact the Jaguar just wasn't ever going to be the platform to resurrect the cult Lynx title?. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

Diehard GameFan magazine seem to be the source of a lot of these Lost Jaguar game rumors. 

Reporting one month that Ocean were bringing The Shadow to Jaguar CD, changing that to Lobo the month after. 

Claiming Lobo was to be a Scavenger 4 type affair, silicon graphics rendered backgrounds etc. 

Team awaiting Jaguar CD specs before proceeding. 

Apeshit was to have the best scrolling on any computer (erm, Jaguar was a console) 

Battlezone 2000 was being done by Hand Made Software. 

4 hours ago, JagChris said:

Wasn't the Shadow rumored to be coming for the 32X and some others as well? Did it show up anywhere? As a beta etc? I just learned at the last PRGE that there was actually a Shadow pinball table which I enjoyed. Also Brahm Stoker's Dracula etc. 

The Shadow beat 'em up was intended to come out for the Atari Jaguar CD (as it was once reported by DieHard GameFan before being shafted for Lobo), Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo but never for the 32X. It's also worth noting that the SNES version got pretty decent scores from reviewers prior to cancellation. 

8 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Diehard GameFan magazine seem to be the source of a lot of these Lost Jaguar game rumors. 

Reporting one month that Ocean were bringing The Shadow to Jaguar CD, changing that to Lobo the month after. 

Claiming Lobo was to be a Scavenger 4 type affair, silicon graphics rendered backgrounds etc. 

Team awaiting Jaguar CD specs before proceeding. 

Apeshit was to have the best scrolling on any computer (erm, Jaguar was a console) 

Battlezone 2000 was being done by Hand Made Software. 

Now in regards to Lobo, Missile Command 3D tester Jason S. Lane stated 3 years ago (IIRC) that he tested Lobo for the Jaguar. I wished I still had a screencap of his comment pretty much backing up the existence of Jaguar Lobo, as he was a friend of late AVP marine and Atari tester Lance J. Lewis...

6 hours ago, JagChris said:

Wasn't the Shadow rumored to be coming for the 32X and some others as well? Did it show up anywhere? As a beta etc? I just learned at the last PRGE that there was actually a Shadow pinball table which I enjoyed. Also Brahm Stoker's Dracula etc. 

Looking at the SNES version :

I don't think Sega owners (I believe it was planned for the Mega Drive at least), let alone Jaguar owners missed out on anything. 

Ditto with Lobo which Ocean announced for the Commodore Amiga A1200 at one point and Ocean put a tech demo together for on N64. 

You can go down the list of planned /announced Jaguar titles and see them announced at one point for other formats (Imagitec Designs Freelancer 2120 reported for the CD32 in one European Magazine), then see how they were recieved on other platforms than did get them and realise they would of done nothing for the Jaguar. 

Gremlin with it's much hyped Litil Divil seemed to fare badly outside of the CD-i platform, seen scores of 43% from CD32 Press, 50% on PC CD. 

Virtuoso, Elite spent too much time on trying to get a deal with Pop Will Eat Itself and have band member digitized for main character as a selling point.. 

Wild Cup Soccer, mauled by the Amiga Press (14% A. P, 25% A. F, 61% The One). 

The other active Jaguar games thread asks what titles could of saved the Jaguar? 

None of these would of done anything to sustain it. 

The solid titles by Ocean did nothing to save the Jaguar and SNES ports of The Shadow, let alone what they had planned for Lobo would of made the situation worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

Looking at the SNES version :

I don't think Sega owners (I believe it was planned for the Mega Drive at least), let alone Jaguar owners missed out on anything. 

Ditto with Lobo which Ocean announced for the Commodore Amiga A1200 at one point and Ocean put a tech demo together for on N64. 

You can go down the list of planned /announced Jaguar titles and see them announced at one point for other formats (Imagitec Designs Freelancer 2120 reported for the CD32 in one European Magazine), then see how they were recieved on other platforms than did get them and realise they would of done nothing for the Jaguar. 

Gremlin with it's much hyped Litil Divil seemed to fare badly outside of the CD-i platform, seen scores of 43% from CD32 Press, 50% on PC CD. 

Virtuoso, Elite spent too much time on trying to get a deal with Pop Will Eat Itself and have band member digitized for main character as a selling point.. 

Wild Cup Soccer, mauled by the Amiga Press (14% A. P, 25% A. F, 61% The One). 

The other active Jaguar games thread asks what titles could of saved the Jaguar? 

None of these would of done anything to sustain it. 

The solid titles by Ocean did nothing to save the Jaguar and SNES ports of The Shadow, let alone what they had planned for Lobo would of made the situation worse. 

I recently forwarded on a few more odds n sods from various European magazines looking at then upcoming Ocean titles, more HMS Carnage screens, drool.. 

But they were so keen to focus on the Silicon Graphics work and models made that would be scanned into the games for characters and environmental sets, with things like Lobo and Waterworld. 

All style over substance stuff, window dressings for the same tired old gameplay. 

Edited by Lost Dragon