IGNORED

Unreleased Jaguar Games.

jenovi

Addt. 

Ocean Softwares Bobby Earl described Lobo as a Killer Instinct clone.. given that the Jaguar struggled with credible Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter clones, last thing it needed was a sub-par Killer Instinct clone joining the ranks. ?

And Brian V. McGroaty of HVS nailed how most people felt about Ocean Software at that time, by saying he generally didn't have much faith in Ocean products.

DHGF also responsible for suggesting:

Bally coding Jaguar MK II (a good chance of it happening they said) 

Interplay might do Clay fighter and Warlock. 

Tengen would be doing Steel Talons and Stun Runner. 

? Easy to spot where likes of K. H got his facts for that old colour coded Lost Jaguar games list some years back. 

Pure magazine speculation. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

As for Cisco Heat and Bases Loaded by Jaleco :

The president of Jaleco released a P. R statement about how Atari had entered the hardware market with the most advanced hardware, but slowly and Jaleco would bring to the Jaguar platform the software experience and expertise the hardware deserved, but that's a world apart from confirming work was underway on either platform or how the hardware would be utilized for either project. 

Cisco Heat was getting very long in the tooth at this stage. 

I'd played (awful) home conversions on the C64 and ST years before, it wasn't something i expected to hear announced for the Jaguar. 

1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

Addt. 

Ocean Softwares Bobby Earl described Lobo as a Killer Instinct clone.. given that the Jaguar struggled with credible Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter clones, last thing it needed was a sub-par Killer Instinct clone joining the ranks. ?

And Brian V. McGroaty of HVS nailed how most people felt about Ocean Software at that time, by saying he generally didn't have much faith in Ocean products.

DHGF also responsible for suggesting:

Bally coding Jaguar MK II (a good chance of it happening they said) 

Interplay might do Clay fighter and Warlock. 

Tengen would be doing Steel Talons and Stun Runner. 

? Easy to spot where likes of K. H got his facts for that old colour coded Lost Jaguar games list some years back. 

Pure magazine speculation. 

Actually, Steel Talons was first mentioned in French magazine Génération 4 before GameFan, whereas GameFan first mentioned Cisco Heat in 1993.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KidGameR186496
To include image files...
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

One thing I actually plan to do these days is to talk with ex-Psynogsis people who worked on Obliterator to really confirm if the Jaguar version Kieren bragged so much about before actually did exist at one point in time...

I interviewed at Psygnosis after Atari went under.  Took some Jaguar code to their offices as samples of work....  they never had a Jaguar development system and had no way of loading any of it.

I guess Kieren lied again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I interviewed at Psygnosis after Atari went under.  Took some Jaguar code to their offices as samples of work....  they never had a Jaguar development system and had no way of loading any of it.

I guess Kieren lied again

39 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Actually, Steel Talons was first mentioned in French magazine Génération 4 before GameFan, whereas GameFan first mentioned Cisco Heat in 1993.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By mentioned are we talking the usual press assuming or simply speculating because a developer had signed up, they'd be bringing established titles to the Jaguar? 

That's where Kieren got his colour coded expert claims list from, press speculation. 

DHGF are a nightmare, simply assuming Dino Dudes, Crescent Galaxy and Raiden must have all been Panther projects at one point. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

26 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I guess Kieren lied again.

Think that's a very safe guess ?

Vegas odds say he did. 

I chatted to a few ex-Psygnosis staff about various projects and during the discussions, the quotes Edge magazine falsely put out where Ian Hetherington talks of them having a Jaguar development system for evaluation. 

Answers came back as:

It’s possible that Atari approached Ian when the toilet seat CD drive thing came about, pretty much every CD machine manufacturer wanted to talk to them, but the Jaguar was never seen as a machine with any future so internally so they never touched it.  In the ATG (advanced technology group) they built everything on the FM-Towns initially, then when other platforms came about they started to port work to them (Mega CD, SNES CD, CDTV, CD32) - the PC versions we actually outsourced to Creative Assembly originally.

Hadn't realised until today the legendary Yuzo Koshiro (music composer for Streets Of Rage 1-3,Story Of Thor, Revenge Of Shinobi etc) had been asked if he'd been approached to compose music for 3DO or Jaguar titles. 

He talked of how he'd need to create new environmental and editing software for any new platform, 3DO being MIDI compatible would make composing music on it easier. 

He didn't know much on Atari, hadn't had much luck with them, but if anyone from Atari or 3DO approached him, he would definitely consider it. 

Wow.. not impressed by likes of Game Pro and DHGF when it came to Jaguar reporting. 

Claiming in an early preview of AVP you'd be able to climb the walls when playing as the Xenomorph, use your computer skills to out smart both the Predator and Aliens whilst playing as the Marine. 

That Handmade Games (they mean Handmade Software) were doing Club Drive.. 

That Ocean had and I quote.. Canned that Ape Poo game, so were now working on Lobo. 

Your not seriously using these guys as a credible source for your videos i hope Jenovi. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

On 27 de junio de 2020 at 5:38 PM, JagChris said:

If they're reporting it it may be fitting the criteria to be looked into. 

Well, that's the criteria Jenovi has sticked to since he began his unreleased series with the 32X, though he welcomes any information regarding the system he's currently covering.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, JagChris said:

If they're reporting it it may be fitting the criteria to be looked into. 

It's purely personal choice but, you tend to get a feel for which magazines at least try and ensure claims are as accurate as possible and if they can't even state a developers name correctly, Handmade Games rather than Handmade Software and then go onto make a claim said developer is behind a game we know they had nothing to do with, they don't really stack up as being worth mentioning as a source when it comes to writing the actual script for the planned video. 

It would be like taking the John Romero quote from a Playstation II feature in a UK PC Magazine, where he talks of Ion Storm being very excited by the Playstation 2 hardware and they will be converting Daikatana to the platform. 

It's be a curio worth investigating in terms of looking into Playstation press to see if work was ever started, but it wouldn't make the cut for the actual planned PS2 Video script if it became clear it had no legs. 

So many Press Claim games are straight dead ends. 

Developers like Imagitec Design, Team Scavenger etc announce to the press countless games are going to appear on multiple formats and never appear. 

Scavenger for example annouced:

Spanish Blood

Tarantula 

Aqua 

Gemini Pyro 

Terminus

And Sniper 

All at the same time and headed for PC and mix of Playstation and Saturn. 

Following up each specific title leads to development stalling on lead platforms, never starting on others. 

A prime example of why Games Press can be misleading. 

I've just forwarded over an interview to assist GTW with an unreleased SNES title. 

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/06/cold-steel-super-nintendo/

In it the coder talks of his next project, a CD based title, Ultra-Violent cross between SF2 and Contra III

Headed for SNES, Commodore CDTV and possibly Mega Drive. 

The game in question? 

Ultraverse Prime. 

The only platform it arrives on? 

The Sega Mega CD. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Jenovi:

When you come to cover Space Junk, you can add it being annouced on PC CD as well as Sega CD, Atari Falcon and Jaguar CD. 

Just sent the press coverage to GTW and Unseen64. 

Like Freelancer, Martin Hooley claiming reason game was canned was because it was obvious the Jaguar CD was going to flop at retail and Imagitec would never recoup their investment,  goes nowhere to explaining why they simply didn't push it out on PC instead. 

UK press wise, source of some of the rumors doing the rounds:

Alone In The Dark, free supplement (leading edge hardware) given away with issue #008, May 1994.

Has the title down as SLATED for the system, not confirmed. 

Jaguar supplement given away free with issue #022, July 1995.

Battlezone 2000  being confirmed as now coming out as Hoverstrike.. 

AVP worldwide sales put at over 85,000 units. 

Has anyone got any more info about Pong 2000? Was going to be a platform game with 3d elements. I have only seen it mentioned on a magazine called "VideoGames The Ultimate Gaming Magazine"  September 1995 issue. I think i posted a scan on this forums some years ago. Cant find the tread.

Edited by sd32

2 hours ago, sd32 said:

Has anyone got any more info about Pong 2000? Was going to be a platform game with 3d elements. I have only seen it mentioned on a magazine called "VideoGames The Ultimate Gaming Magazine"  September 1995 issue. I think i posted a scan on this forums some years ago. Cant find the tread.

Wasn't that a news item claiming Atari were reinventing Pong where the game would now see you controlling a boy made of rubber? 

It sounded like something pitched at a focus group meeting and best hastily abandoned ?

Or would it of been the title Francois Yves Bertrand planned to do after F. F. L or a separate title again? 

Seem to remember him briefly mentioning artwork being done for it, but if that went beyond concept art, i have no idea. 

Turning Pong into something akin to a platformer would see it stray far from it's roots and you'd end up in a Battlezone 2000 type situation, game deviates so far, rename it and have it as a totally new title. 

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Pong 2000 if I remember right was going to be a 3D action game like pitfall 3D. In the FFL sources there is a pong 2000 file but its just a renamed file. It's like something he planned on repurposing but did nothing with. 

Sounds awful. 

I had Pitfall 3D on the Playstation and it was a time killer, but it never had anything like the impact the 2600 original had on me. 

Chalk up yet concept to reinvent a brand for a modern games market, best left on the drawing board. 

Attempts to modernise Spy Hunter, Robotron, Defender on Playstation were hit and miss. 

Breakout 2000 on Jaguar seems to polarise opinions as well. 

14 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Wasn't that a news item claiming Atari were reinventing Pong where the game would now see you controlling a boy made of rubber? 

It sounded like something pitched at a focus group meeting and best hastily abandoned ?

Or would it of been the title Francois Yves Bertrand planned to do after F. F. L or a separate title again? 

Seem to remember him briefly mentioning artwork being done for it, but if that went beyond concept art, i have no idea. 

Turning Pong into something akin to a platformer would see it stray far from it's roots and you'd end up in a Battlezone 2000 type situation, game deviates so far, rename it and have it as a totally new title. 

Guess I'll have to dig that page scan then...

11 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Guess I'll have to dig that page scan then...

It's in this thread and reading it, it is your typical magazine speculation piece, being passed off as news. 

The piece itself reads like utter nonsense and the writer brags of having the inside story, yet started the piece by talking of the designers at Atari.. If you can't name sources, the news has no real credibility. 

The game he (?) then goes into claim, should be truly revolutionary, but details are sketchy, Atari are keeping tight lipped about it..so far it's just a concept on paper within Atari. 

Next thing we see, the writer is detailing the games plot, gameplay mechanics etc etc, 

The actual update to Pong on Playstation seems to have turned out ok:

Just needed paddle controllers. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay details added for misc Team 17 titles:

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/10/07/rollcage-team-17-psx-saturn-3do-cancelled/

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/04/14/allegiance-psx-saturn-3do-cancelled/

Jaguar versions never started, but since people insist on putting them on Lost Jaguar title videos, might as well get some idea of what they were planning to offer... 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1