Karl G

Tiny Space Game

I'm not sure if this will be of interest to anyone besides myself, but I thought I'd post it just in case. This is my first completed stand-alone assembly game.

The original Space Game is a 32K game, and I filled almost all of that 32K. Because I was intrigued by the idea of making a game that would fit onto a standard QR code, and because I wanted to hone my assembly skills, I challenged myself to see what subset of Space Game I could fit into 2K. Since that's only 1/16th the original size, there was a lot that had to go off the bat: all of the cool music Maggie composed, special screens like the title screen, wave screens, etc., boss battles, mini-games between waves, etc.

Optimizing code and data to this level was an interesting exercise for me. I managed to fit in 9 of the 14 non-boss aliens along with all of their special abilities. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fit in powerups!

I couldn't fit in a 6-digit score routine along with the graphics data for the digits, so I made a playfield-based scoring system where each alien group defeated scores one green bar, and if you get over 8 green bars they are exchanged for a red bar. If you have 8 green and red bars, then you win the game.

Anyway, here's the game along with the source in case anyone is interested in trying it / looking at it.

sg2k.bin

sg2k.asm

• Like 7

Hat off to you KarlG, that's damn impressive taking your 32k original (and rather good) Space Game and working a playable subset into 2k using assembly.

I'd love to have the time to learn assembly.

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 1

Fun! Having never playing the 32K version, I don't really have anything to compare it to. Not sure what the floaty dash thing is, but I've learned to not let it hit me. :-)

• Like 1