IGNORED

Copy of Galaga 7800 With no Barcode

yy958

I just won this on eBay, and I haven't been able to find a picture of any boxed 7800 game without a barcode. Is this anything special, or is there at least a backstory to why some copies would not have a barcode? I've wanted this game CIB for a while anyway so I wouldn't be disappointing, I suppose it's an oddity though.

Hmm that might be a Japanese copy. I got my hands on a Mario Bros that shipped from Japan a while back and didn't have a barcode either.

And to follow-up, I found the auction that you won on ebay for additional pics and the box also happens to be the Atari 2600 with the style of flap at the top. Black text at the top for "Atari 7800" too. Strange. Haven't seen that on any 7800 titles.

Edited by sixersfan105
  • Like 1

Hmm that might be a Japanese copy. I got my hands on a Mario Bros that shipped from Japan a while back and didn't have a barcode either.

And to follow-up, I found the auction that you won on ebay for additional pics and the box also happens to be the Atari 2600 with the style of flap at the top. Black text at the top for "Atari 7800" too. Strange. Haven't seen that on any 7800 titles.

Would a Japanese 7800 game be region locked for a US console? The 7800 wikipedia article only mentions a PAL and US release, so would Japanese 7800 games be locked as PAL copies? Thank you for pointing out the inconsistencies with the box, that almost makes me want to say this is a faked copy or something, but who would make a fake copy of Galaga? It's not that rare of an Atari title lol

Edited by yy958

Nah I highly doubt it's fake. Atari (especially Atari Corp.) did weird things. Quality Control was very poor and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a run or two of Galaga used 2600 style boxes because they were the easiest to reach (but seriously)...the black text on the box at the top is also a head-scratcher. PAL titles have a little "P" sticker on the back of the cart but can easily be peeled off. To answer your q, yes, the Japanese title that I had acquired was PAL. I was just after it for the box.

Btw, just to be clear, I'm not saying all PAL boxes are missing barcodes, because they most assuredly are not. Just saying I've seen this before, and it happened to be a PAL title. Cheers.

• Like 1