IGNORED

HSC16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

SPACE FORTRESS OMEGA

Welcome to Season 16 of the High Score Club :waving: if you're reading this in the future then just join in on the current round or post some late scores :)

post-19705-0-47936900-1548068066.pngpost-19705-0-93473000-1548068077.png

Let's start the season of with the much improved final version (v1.1) of my unreleased abbuc 2016 game! It's a vertical scroller with the mission of collecting the missiles and repairing (shooting) the power generators (shown on screenshot above)... much more info in the manual which has some fantastic artwork by RedThunder :thumbsup:

Instructions: Space Fortress Omega Manual v1.1a.pdf

Bootable ATR: Space Fortress Omega v1.1.ATR

Video: play-through of SFO level 1

Settings Play on Trainee to get the hang of things, or Pilot if you wish. McKong myself and any other lurking former champions play on Pilot.

Scoring Similar to Star Raiders and Blue Max we'll play for ranking and class (if you can read it) then score, so post all three. Usually each HSC round has 12pts for the winner down to 2pts for 11th and 12th but I may change this. I'll post new tables every few days.

Rounds Ends usually it's 2 weeks from Sunday to Sunday but we might go into the next week to give more people time to join in, so pencil in Thursday 7th Feb 10am UK for now.

Help if you haven't a clue how to play or have any problems just post and we'll get you up and running :-o

After this round I may make a couple more tweaks before posing this on the main forum. My games are usually a bit hard but let's see what you all think, SFO is meant to offer some long term play. If you're just here to grab the game then please give some feedback ;)

#1 Rule: Have Fun

trbb

Edited by therealbountybob
NEW SFO Manual with screenshots!
  • Like 6

Ok, some very early scores. I managed to fire a few missiles, but not finish the first course yet. It would appear to me a lot of things happen parallel to eachother, but perhaps as the course moves along you get additional chances at picking up missiles and firing them?

Trainee: 2120 pts, rank Space Lobster, class 1

Pilot: 2060 pts, rank Grud in Space, class 1

The score digits are almost impossible to read. I suppose it is due to the graphics mode you can't display text in higher resolution. The title screen also doesn't seem to have any indication of last or highest score. While I am at it, have you considered keeping separate scores for each difficulty level?

• Like 2

Ok, some very early scores. I managed to fire a few missiles, but not finish the first course yet. It would appear to me a lot of things happen parallel to eachother, but perhaps as the course moves along you get additional chances at picking up missiles and firing them?

Trainee: 2120 pts, rank Space Lobster, class 1

Pilot: 2060 pts, rank Grud in Space, class 1

The score digits are almost impossible to read. I suppose it is due to the graphics mode you can't display text in higher resolution. The title screen also doesn't seem to have any indication of last or highest score. While I am at it, have you considered keeping separate scores for each difficulty level?

Yes lots to take in there for our 8-bit brain cells! Try and survive to the end to start with! There are some proper (non derogatrory) ranks starting midway through the first stage too ;)

The hard to read is a limit of the graphics mode / font / memory saving choices. The scores are shown again on the scroller and high score in game under your current score. Yes 2 tables probably, this round is going to be non-typical so I'll make things up as we go along :grin:

New Manual Attached to first post has screenshots and is smaller file size too. Thanks again to RedThunder for all the great artwork, like I've said before much better than the game :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My games are usually a bit hard

That statement is just as true as "the bear defecates in the forest" and "the Pope wears a funny hat".

Anyway, while I didn't finish the first level yet, some improvements in scores:

Trainee: 4600 pts, rank Galactic Hitchhiker class 1 (I really thought it said Galactic Hitchhooker first...)

Pilot: 4100 pts, rank Space Lobster class 1

• Like 2

That statement is just as true as "the bear defecates in the forest" and "the Pope wears a funny hat".

Trainee: 4600 pts, rank Galactic Hitchhiker class 1 (I really thought it said Galactic Hitchhooker first...)

As long as that's not the other way around :-D

After a while you may realise your ship can pass over the grey and white bits without being harmed ;)

Yes, I managed to replenish the energy a couple of times but only on the wide striped areas, not so much in the narrow striped areas?

(I don't know what the Pope does if he goes hitchhiking in the forest and suddenly feels a pressing need)

I thought that's where the hat came in :D

Use your shots to help line up, you might find a better energy source further on. Remember Option uses the emergency battery (once per go) if you are very low on juice. Like Ramp Rage and Ski-it, repeated play helps as you begin to become familiar with the layout. Avoid holding back excessively on Pilot level as it burns fuel. Pull back to slow down when refuelling(!)

• Like 3

Hooray for the beginning of season 16!

After a couple of goes, I was able to pass level 1 with a score of 14460 on Pilot difficulty. (Rank Space Traveller, Class 2).

This game is a lot of fun - nice work, TRBB!! I'm playing on an NTSC machine (real hardware - 130XE) and didn't notice any problems.

post-6856-0-47567200-1548218059_thumb.jpg

Also, there's an EMERGENCY BATTERY?!? :P Guess it would help if I read the manual.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3

That's great graywest you have finished the first level already :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There are only 10 and there all variations on the same layout. I've just played and also got about half way through level 2 (PAL), it was a bit strange playing my own game properly, it was quite tense but enjoyable - sometimes the reactors on the left of the screen are a bit resistant to being shot so you need to move l/r a pixel or two and sometimes there are no missiles but lots of targets but that's just a feature of the psuedo-random level setup, usually by the end you can "repair" the required number.

18,060 Space Crusier Class 1

• Like 1

jamestpimpin.jpg

• Like 2

7410 Space Traveller Class 1. I repaired all 10 targets, I was expecting the level to finish

The level ends after the final section - you do not need to repair the reactors to reach the next level but your ranking/class will be lower - see the manual for more of the intricacies.

:)