IGNORED

Preannouncement: Dragon Cart II

ol.sc

I guess WIZnet is a registered trademark (no matter how you capitalize it), but Wiz or Wizard as a prefix should be fine. WizCart and WizPBI/ECI ? or WizardNet for the PBI/ECI?

Naming a new device or piece of software is always hard...

Edited by ivop

"NetBus" for the PBI / ECI version

"NetCart" for the cart. version

"Netscape" for the internet browser... ;-)

I think those are best thus far :thumbsup: :)

And very sweet and to the point, without any confusion as to what they are.

Edit: and if you still want the Dragon name... DragonNet-Bus, DragonNet-Cart.

• Like 2

"NetBus" for the PBI / ECI version

NetBus sounded somewhat familiar - after searching the net I remembered why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBus

NetBus or Netbus is a software program for remotely controlling a Microsoft Windows computer system over a network. It was created in 1998 and has been very controversial for its potential of being used as a backdoor.

Maybe use another name for the PBI version :-)

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

First of all thanks for the interest in the device(s) announced here :-)

I've followed the naming discussion with interest. However, the name "Dragon Cart II" wasn't born out of lack for ideas for other names - as I explained in both threads in question. So there actually was no need to find a new name for the two device(s).

Rather they will be named Dracarys.

In case you're interested in the background see e.g. https://www.elitedaily.com/entertainment/daenerys-dracarys-game-of-thrones/2037837

Hello Oliver

I like Dracarys. It's got that mythical something that game titles often had in the past. Way better than a lot of the names already mentioned, that could just as well be the name of a company or something you use on/with a modern computer.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hopefully "Dracarys" is not already tm or © by the IP holders of Games of Thrones (and or the IP holder of A Song of Ice and Fire R.R.Martin and/or the linguist David J. Peterson who created the fictional high valyrian language which includes this)...

But even if it's not, I would not be surprised to get a nice letter or E-Mail from some of their lawyers who tell us not to use this word otherwise than for the tv series.

So, just do it and wait what happens... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I would say based on the limited product run that can be expected, and the fact that the context of such is way the heck out in left (or right) field as compared to where the name came from in the first place, that there would be no need to concern yourselves with trademarks in this particular case.

Now if it was an Atari trademark in question, that would likely be an entirely different story.

• Like 1

I've followed the naming discussion with interest. However, the name "Dragon Cart II" wasn't born out of lack for ideas for other names - as I explained in both threads in question. So there actually was no need to find a new name for the two device(s).

By the way, where does the original name "Dragon Cart" come from?

(sorry if it is a lammer question, but Google could't find the answer for me)

It's in fact not that easy to find anymore these days. The Dragon Cart was built around the module "IP Dragon" from a very small company named "Invector Embedded Systems AB".

Some traces:

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/IET/IET8900DOC_4.PDF

https://web.archive.org/web/20060621205825/http://www.invector.se/iet8900.asp

Some trivia:

Glenn's Apple II Ethernet card "Uthernet" was built with the very same module. However, the module is mounted upside down on the base PCB. So what you read on the old page linked above...

"Our production and design line is customized to be able to quickly adapt the production to meet your needs. We will customize the modules to whatever your needs are. Below is an example of a customer specified module with a slightly different connector layout."

...(and the picture below that text) was actually Glenn's Apple II project :-)

Here's a picture of the complete Uthernet card showing the benefit of the unusual setup - which is to make it "flat" enough to not block the neighbor slot in the Apple II. BTW: I'm a bid proud to say that this setup was my idea...

Uthernet%20Card%20-%20Back.jpg

Edited by ol.sc
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...