IGNORED

AtGames 2019 speculation thread

And wrt to the paddle and FB9G it's on their freaking website about it:

https://www.atgames.us/pages/faq

11) Some Atari games were designed to work with paddle controllers. Where and how do get I get them?

All Atari Flashback games, even those originally designed for paddle controllers, are playable with joysticks. The reason why users opt to purchase paddle controllers is to have more precise control for games originally designed for that format, or, with two sets of paddle controllers, to play select games that support up to four players at once. You will soon be able to purchase additional paddles from the AtGames eCommerce Store or other eCommerce sites.

If they didn't plan to release them why advertise them? Your point of view of "once the batteries run out ....." may explain lots of it.

Scrolling down on that same page I read this:

12) Can paddles from previous Atari Flashback versions or the original Atari work on the Atari Flashback 9?

Atari Flashback 9 Boom and Atari Flashback 9 Gold are not compatible with original Atari paddle controllers or previous AtGames paddle controllers. The 2018 versions of the AtGames paddles only work with the Atari Flashback 9 Boom and Atari Flashback 9 Gold, and do not work on any other platforms or previous AtGames systems.

Did I read that right or did they just contradict themselves?!

12) Can paddles from previous Atari Flashback versions or the original Atari work on the Atari Flashback 9?

Atari Flashback 9 Boom and Atari Flashback 9 Gold are not compatible with original Atari paddle controllers or previous AtGames paddle controllers. The 2018 versions of the AtGames paddles only work with the Atari Flashback 9 Boom and Atari Flashback 9 Gold, and do not work on any other platforms or previous AtGames systems.

As in?

The main problem with this year (2018) AtGames products (not all of them) has been that they advertised one thing and either shipped another or changed course without information or didn't fulfill their own promises.

Blast Namco != arcade ... they advertised as arcade mind you (and we were pleasantly surprised at that price point ... just to be severely disappointed though)

FB9G paddles -> no paddles sorry

FB Legends FW to unlock SD load -> firmware-fairy first (aka controlled leak) then officially but either way it works on MD/Genesis only (last I checked) [my theory: to piss off Sega that severed their relationship ... I HAVE NO PROOF OF THIS IT'S PURE SPECULATION]

I think Bill put it right that most of the time they are their own worst enemy.

Personally I think they overpromise to pump up sales and hoping in the "I won't remember once I shut it off" behavior ... in and on itself not a big deal if they didn't overpromise to begin with.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the new paddles didn't make it out in 2018, so I'll ask them to update it.

Press Release: AtGames Digital Media Inc. has announced that iconic video games from Disney and Lucasfilm will be featured in their upcoming products

Fans can expect classic games from beloved properties like Disney’s Donald Duck, Tron, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Wreck-It Ralph, as well as games from Lucasfilm’s legendary Star Wars games portfolio. The games will appear on AtGames products including the full-size Legends Ultimate Home Arcade machine, Blast! family plug-n-play micro-console and wireless controller bundles, retro consoles, and portables. More details, including pricing, full game lineup and availability will be announced soon.

The Legends Ultimate Home Arcade features more than 250 built-in arcade and home games, including a range of classic Disney and Star Wars game properties and other legends from iconic publishers. As a full-sized home arcade machine, the Legends Ultimate Home Arcade offers a gameplay experience like no other. Each game plays just like at the arcade thanks to an authentic control panel that features a matching set of premium joysticks and six buttons for two player fun, a trackball controller, and a built-in, low latency, high definition LCD. The built-in software is similarly impressive, with scan line filtering, an intuitive menu system, save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep.

The Blast! series of plug-n-play micro-console and wireless controller bundles feature a curated selection of classic titles unique to each model. Every Blast! includes high definition video output, an intuitive menu system, save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep.

“These new products offer families everywhere a way to experience some of the greatest classic Disney and Star Wars games in unique ways,” says Dr. Ping-Kang Hsiung, CEO of AtGames. “We’re delighted that Disney and Lucasfilm’s iconic properties are a key part of this exciting line-up of family-friendly products.”

• Like 3

I have purchased the FB2, the FB4 (the Sams Club Anniversary set with IR Joysticks & paddles & collectible posters!), the FB8 (composite version, $20 with discounts and coupons at Bed Bath & Beyond), and now the FB9. I also received plug n' plays for Intellivision, Activision, Jakks TV Atari Paddles and a Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith game as gifts or impulse buys. Most of which have since been sold at yard sales or donated to Goodwill. The FB2 & the SW game are packed away in my closest.

I've got plenty of pnp units too, and at sub 20US$ price point I can accept their state as long as it's not advertised as something else ... I even chased down a PAL pnp Capcom unit to have Commando+1942+GhostsNGoblins.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but if their mantra is to sell during Xmas time products in the hope to be forgotten asap it's hard to take them seriously for any announcement they make after the blunder is discovered.

If they just were a little more straightforward with it without overpromising there will be far less to complain about.

But for the time being, I'm happy with my purchase. I would say I do buy from ATGames every 3 to 5 years. $20-$60 dollars each purchase over that time frame doesn't seem that expensive to me.

yeah, I can see this to be just about right in terms of spaced out recurrent purchase .... guess that's their target then. And if you buy at discount then it's definitely not that much ;-)

• Like 1

Now wrt target audience, did you also buy FB6/7/8? Do you plan on buying FB10?

Questions like these are some of the reasons I don't completely buy that the target audience is just people that are casual gamers with a nostalgic itch that causes impulse purchases. If this is the target audience then why is there a numbering system and different editions like plus, gold, deluxe, Activision Edition, etc.? I don't think of someone comparing what is new with the 8 compared to the 9 or looking up the differences between editions as something that is done with an impulse purchase. That is just too much thinking before a purchase. An impulse purchase would just be thinking something simple like,"It looks something like an Atari and plays some Atari games." which doesn't even require making new and/or different editions than the first to get sales. Why include original controller ports or with the SEGA Genesis cartridge slots if it isn't targeting people with original gear? Why include games that weren't popular at the peak of the Atari 2600's popularity like unreleased prototypes, homebrews, games sold to Atari Fan Club members, games exclusive to Europe, games released after most moved on from the 2600 during the Atari 2600 Junior era, etc.? There just seems to be a lot that points at us being directly targeted as part of the target audience.
  • Like 2

Press Release: AtGames Digital Media Inc. has announced that iconic video games from Disney and Lucasfilm will be featured in their upcoming products

Fans can expect classic games from beloved properties like Disney’s Donald Duck, Tron, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Wreck-It Ralph, as well as games from Lucasfilm’s legendary Star Wars games portfolio. The games will appear on AtGames products including the full-size Legends Ultimate Home Arcade machine, Blast! family plug-n-play micro-console and wireless controller bundles, retro consoles, and portables. More details, including pricing, full game lineup and availability will be announced soon.

Great news, Bill!!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Questions like these are some of the reasons I don't completely buy that the target audience is just people that are casual gamers with a nostalgic itch that causes impulse purchases. If this is the target audience then why is there a numbering system and different editions like plus, gold, deluxe, Activision Edition, etc.? I don't think of someone comparing what is new with the 8 compared to the 9 or looking up the differences between editions as something that is done with an impulse purchase. That is just too much thinking before a purchase. An impulse purchase would just be thinking something simple like,"It looks something like an Atari and plays some Atari games." which doesn't even require making new and/or different editions than the first to get sales. Why include original controller ports or with the SEGA Genesis cartridge slots if it isn't targeting people with original gear? Why include games that weren't popular at the peak of the Atari 2600's popularity like unreleased prototypes, homebrews, games sold to Atari Fan Club members, games exclusive to Europe, games released after most moved on from the 2600 during the Atari 2600 Junior era, etc.? There just seems to be a lot that points at us being directly targeted as part of the target audience.

I think it just needs to be looked at as making products that appeal to the broadest range of people and including whatever other extras are practical within those considerations to appeal to more of a niche audience like dedicated classic gamers. Targeting the dedicated classic gamer reaches a point of diminishing returns where you can't possibly accommodate every need/desire/requirement since you won't sell enough extra units - and the main target audience won't care - to justify whatever extra might be involved to get it there. From a behind-the-scenes standpoint I can say there are tremendous demands and considerations from licensors, retailers, production, etc., all with very specific timetables. That all works against products like these.

The home arcade machine will be a chance to work with fewer such restrictions since that's going to be at a much higher price point. That product will naturally have, and should have, much higher expectations than something selling for $20 or less.

• Like 2

The Legends Ultimate Home Arcade features more than 250 built-in arcade and home games, including a range of classic Disney and Star Wars game properties and other legends from iconic publishers. As a full-sized home arcade machine, the Legends Ultimate Home Arcade offers a gameplay experience like no other. Each game plays just like at the arcade thanks to an authentic control panel that features a matching set of premium joysticks and six buttons for two player fun, a trackball controller, and a built-in, low latency, high definition LCD. The built-in software is similarly impressive, with scan line filtering, an intuitive menu system, save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep.

The Blast! series of plug-n-play micro-console and wireless controller bundles feature a curated selection of classic titles unique to each model. Every Blast! includes high definition video output, an intuitive menu system, save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep.

“These new products offer families everywhere a way to experience some of the greatest classic Disney and Star Wars games in unique ways,” says Dr. Ping-Kang Hsiung, CEO of AtGames. “We’re delighted that Disney and Lucasfilm’s iconic properties are a key part of this exciting line-up of family-friendly products.”

I would love nothing more than to be able to play the original Tron arcade game on my TV at home!

I would love nothing more than to be able to play the original Tron arcade game on my TV at home!

It's definitely a challenging game to bring home because of the controls. That's something we're going to be paying close attention to with the various games. Probably the main home arcade machine is going to be the most versatile in that regard with several of these games.

• Like 1

There is no chance of any light gun stuff for this year and likely for the years to come. And if anything, it would be for arcade versions, or some mix with arcade stuff, not solely obscure home versions of light gun games. I'm a big fan of those types of games, but I'm just not sure if there's a large enough market there or a big enough pool of notable games to license.

Unfortunately, I have no update on the Blast! P2 controllers or FB 9 paddles.

Our big new push for this year is going to be for the home arcade machine and any potential variations thereof.

To compete with Arcade 1 UP?

Saw that at WalMart. Was excited.

I think it just needs to be looked at as making products that appeal to the broadest range of people and including whatever other extras are practical within those considerations to appeal to more of a niche audience like dedicated classic gamers. Targeting the dedicated classic gamer reaches a point of diminishing returns where you can't possibly accommodate every need/desire/requirement since you won't sell enough extra units - and the main target audience won't care - to justify whatever extra might be involved to get it there. From a behind-the-scenes standpoint I can say there are tremendous demands and considerations from licensors, retailers, production, etc., all with very specific timetables. That all works against products like these.

The home arcade machine will be a chance to work with fewer such restrictions since that's going to be at a much higher price point. That product will naturally have, and should have, much higher expectations than something selling for $20 or less.

Do you mind explaining a little more the blue part?

I really have no insight as to why that's the case so without breaking any company secrets I'd like to understand a little bit more of it.

Why would it all work against this kind of products? Is it mostly the price point?

I know more details are to come on the Disney announcement, so forgive the questions, if you wouldn't mind. Thing is, this is pretty exciting. I've actually argued in the past in my writing that Disney needs to mine its old game library, going back to even 2600 titles, to improve its video game division, which never really took off. I know 2600 titles weren't mentioned, but no matter, this is big news to me.

I'm curious about the mention of Lucasfilm. Will we by any chance see any of the point/click games? I'm doubting that, but I guess I'll ask that anyway. Also, what about the two games on the Nintendo Entertainment System, I want to say Jaleco published them. It was just Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The company never got around to the third film, as I assume it moved on to the Super series on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I wonder if there is any chance for Indiana Jones' Greatest Hits.

Wreck-It Ralph is an odd inclusion. Would that be the arcade game I think Disney made as a promotion? The only other ones I am aware of is the Nintendo Wii version (which I own) and a Nintendo DS version (which I do not own).

I wonder if only Disney would be open to such a licensing deal, since it seems to solely own the rights of these titles at this point. If we wanted Raiders of the Lost Ark from the Atari 2600 portfolio, would there be the complication of having to negotiate with Paramount Pictures and Steven Spielberg? I know Disney did some deal with distribution rights for the Jones franchise, but I don't know how that affected the licensing.

Disney has shifted from directly investing in video game development (remember that whole debacle, especially with Infinity?) to licensing. This is exactly what the company should be doing. All companies should be looking to licensing their old titles. Not sure why Activision Blizzard, which is really having a tough time now, isn't looking to get all its older titles out there (Imagic, Super Pitfall, arcade Pitfall!, Atari 800/Commodore 64 titles, stuff like that; or, whatever it has the rights to, or the rights to which it could economically acquire).

I think this is an opening bid. As time goes on, if some of the things I am asking about are not included, they probably will be eventually. Imagine the remastered Mickey Mouse game from Genesis on an AtGames product, along with the original? That doesn't seem so farfetched now.

• Like 1

Do you mind explaining a little more the blue part?

I really have no insight as to why that's the case so without breaking any company secrets I'd like to understand a little bit more of it.

Why would it all work against this kind of products? Is it mostly the price point?

I'm just saying there are many demands from all kinds of sources that have to be met. Primary drivers are always going to be price points and release dates, i.e., money and time.

I know more details are to come on the Disney announcement, so forgive the questions, if you wouldn't mind. Thing is, this is pretty exciting. I've actually argued in the past in my writing that Disney needs to mine its old game library, going back to even 2600 titles, to improve its video game division, which never really took off. I know 2600 titles weren't mentioned, but no matter, this is big news to me.

I'm curious about the mention of Lucasfilm. Will we by any chance see any of the point/click games? I'm doubting that, but I guess I'll ask that anyway. Also, what about the two games on the Nintendo Entertainment System, I want to say Jaleco published them. It was just Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The company never got around to the third film, as I assume it moved on to the Super series on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I wonder if there is any chance for Indiana Jones' Greatest Hits.

Wreck-It Ralph is an odd inclusion. Would that be the arcade game I think Disney made as a promotion? The only other ones I am aware of is the Nintendo Wii version (which I own) and a Nintendo DS version (which I do not own).

I wonder if only Disney would be open to such a licensing deal, since it seems to solely own the rights of these titles at this point. If we wanted Raiders of the Lost Ark from the Atari 2600 portfolio, would there be the complication of having to negotiate with Paramount Pictures and Steven Spielberg? I know Disney did some deal with distribution rights for the Jones franchise, but I don't know how that affected the licensing.

Disney has shifted from directly investing in video game development (remember that whole debacle, especially with Infinity?) to licensing. This is exactly what the company should be doing. All companies should be looking to licensing their old titles. Not sure why Activision Blizzard, which is really having a tough time now, isn't looking to get all its older titles out there (Imagic, Super Pitfall, arcade Pitfall!, Atari 800/Commodore 64 titles, stuff like that; or, whatever it has the rights to, or the rights to which it could economically acquire).

I think this is an opening bid. As time goes on, if some of the things I am asking about are not included, they probably will be eventually. Imagine the remastered Mickey Mouse game from Genesis on an AtGames product, along with the original? That doesn't seem so farfetched now.

Pretty much anything is on the table at this point, so we're not necessarily limited by a specific platform or by original publishing. As you suspect, sub-licenses do factor into some titles, though, but the initiial batch should reflect quite a bit of diversity.

In terms of game types like point and click games, it's definitely possible. Certainly one can imagine that the arcade machine, with its trackball and generous number of buttons, could accommodate certain experiences like that. We'll definitely have more info as we get closer to the pre-order date.

• Like 3

I'll come out and be direct on this, it's Sega related.

We saw the so called sand bagging rumor going about with Sega taking it in house, yet nothing more since. I was wondering, will there be any updated 2019 offerings on the Sega Genesis (or other Sega system) front this year? Another more refined yet console in HD? Maybe that core adapted with the emulator for a handheld finally?

I'm willing to even give up on the handheld due to the more harder to find(why is that?) 2018 iteration of the HD Genesis with the SD card slot in the side. Is that the end of the line so find one, or is there more to come? I'm just trying to plan outwardly on this. The 2018 HD unit is all around pretty solid and with the SD card slot, it would fulfill a need, though a handheld is preferred. Or is it more in my interest to source a megaNT at some rate along with a second hand everdrive?

• Like 1

Anything you can share on when we can expect details (price, release date, game title list) for the arcade machine?

Nothing I can share other than we'll have pre-orders available well before the actual release, and it will be out this year before the holidays. There will be plenty of time to evaluate what's on offer. We'll be keeping the extended details close to the vest for obvious competitive reasons until we get closer to the pre-order start date.

But the HD flashbacks do seem to have a big point of failure in the controllers. If they break, there's no way to access the menu to select games (as I can find), to say nothing about rewind and save states.

You can modify a joystick to get those buttons, or use a pass-through with the buttons on it.

This is the list of options:

MENU = UP + DOWN

SELECT = LEFT + RIGHT

REWIND = LEFT + RIGHT + UP

START = UP + DOWN + LEFT

These only work for joystick port 1 (left). You could add these functions to an existing joystick by wiring additional buttons to make the required connections.

I speculate that I will be covering less products from them after the Bandai Namco issue. Time will tell. Have not heard a peep from them since then. Interesting...

You could still review them just go purchase them and do it that way. Btw what did you do with your Bandai Namco Blast?

Fans can expect classic games from beloved properties like Disneys Donald Duck, Tron, Walt Disney Animation Studios The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Wreck-It Ralph, as well as games from Lucasfilms legendary Star Wars games portfolio. The games will appear on AtGames products including the full-size Legends Ultimate Home Arcade machine, Blast! family plug-n-play micro-console and wireless controller bundles, retro consoles, and portables. More details, including pricing, full game lineup and availability will be announced soon.

These new products offer families everywhere a way to experience some of the greatest classic Disney and Star Wars games in unique ways, says Dr. Ping-Kang Hsiung, CEO of AtGames. Were delighted that Disney and Lucasfilms iconic properties are a key part of this exciting line-up of family-friendly products.

Hm, this could lead to some interesting possibilities. I am intrigued.

I find it interesting that retailers make demands on products like these. What kinds of input do they provide? Seems like they would either want it or not based on past sales and price points. Do they really drill down into specifics of the product itself?

Must be a nightmare with all the different products a retailer like Walmart or Target sells.

Still have the Namco Blast, keeping it. I dont know if I will ever cover their stuff again, only time will tell.

I'm surprised you cover Hyperkin after they released that piece of junk that's supposed to play Atari cartridges and whose joysticks break after the first use. To me that's just as deceiving as the Namco Blast! :roll:

• Like 1