IGNORED

AtGames 2019 speculation thread

Press Release: AtGames Announces Atari Games Included in Upcoming ‘Legends Ultimate Home Arcade’ Machine

Full-Size Home Arcade Machine Will Feature Legendary Video Games, Including Atari Favorites

PRESS RELEASE UPDATED: FEB 21, 2019 06:00 PST

LOS ANGELES, February 21, 2019 (Newswire.com) – AtGames® Digital Media Inc., a leader in interactive entertainment products, today announced additional details about the upcoming Legends Ultimate Home Arcade machine, which comes with more than 250 built-in games. Among the many legendary games that will appear on this full-size home arcade unit is a large selection of Atari’s classic arcade and home video games. These favorite games can be enjoyed from the authentic arcade-style control panel, which includes two joysticks, six action buttons per player, a high-performance trackball and two spinners. The Legends Ultimate Home Arcade will take limited pre-orders at favorite retailers starting July 2019.

“This new full-size home arcade machine offers amazing play and features,” says Dr. Ping-Kang Hsiung, CEO of AtGames. “A product like this simply wouldn’t be complete without featuring Atari’s legendary arcade and home classics as part of its extensive game lineup.”

The Legends Ultimate Home Arcade features more than 250 built-in arcade and home video games from Atari and other iconic publishers, including Atari legends like Breakout®, Centipede®, Crystal Castles®, Liberator®, Millipede®, Missile Command® and Warlords®. It offers a gameplay experience just like being at the arcade thanks to the machine’s authentic controls, including a high-performance trackball controller and two spinners for the ultimate in precision.

Meanwhile, the software powering the home arcade is similarly impressive, with scan line filtering options, an intuitive menu system, save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep. Additional features and extended functionality are still to be revealed.

About AtGames:

AtGames Digital Media Inc. (http://www.atgames.net) is a leader in innovative consumer-oriented interactive entertainment products. The company leverages the latest technology to develop and publish its best-selling classic videogame products for worldwide distribution. AtGames is based in Los Angeles, with international offices in Taipei and Shenzhen.

Source: AtGames Digital Media Inc.

• Like 2

If you were really a retrogames fan, that would be the worst phrase that you could choose because AtGames helps to keep our hobby in the radar of the mainstream consumer, and it's doing a good work, not perfect, but good.

Unless the mainstream consumer causes a huge demand to bring back the CRT I'm struggling to think of any major benefit to me for it being on their radar.

• Like 1

I can't understand why anyone would play on old TV's where the resolution and connection is inferior to today's technology. I guess if you want to have a 100% authentic experience, sure, but even if they had the technology back in the day that we have today, there is not doubt I would rather have the better resolution over the snowy picture. That's just a no-brainer! I can recall as a kid dreaming of playing on a big screen TV and now I get to do that all the time! To that I say...

aeb20b08a7f2f6ad646f519f19edd2547dff8d60

• Like 4

I can't understand why anyone would play on old TV's where the resolution and connection is inferior to today's technology.....

Well on that token then we can also question why would anyone play these old games compared to superior contemporary technology ;-)

I understand what you say but to each his own. I own only one very crappy 13" CRT that I only use for light gun games and to see true colors on some native composite games as I can't trust any modern technology with them, at the same time I can play 7800 Commando with wrong colors on LCD via SVideo->HDMI converter or even 7800 Tower Toppler via SVideo->HDMI ... both look wrong but at least it's my decision to make the compromise as I still have an all analog option if I really want to.

• Like 3

I can't understand why anyone would play on old TV's where the resolution and connection is inferior to today's technology. I guess if you want to have a 100% authentic experience, sure, but even if they had the technology back in the day that we have today, there is not doubt I would rather have the better resolution over the snowy picture. That's just a no-brainer! I can recall as a kid dreaming of playing on a big screen TV and now I get to do that all the time! To that I say...

aeb20b08a7f2f6ad646f519f19edd2547dff8d60

None of my classic consoles outputs a resolution higher than that of a CRT but every one of them shows up with more detail on a CRT than on an HDTV. For an example, before seeing a VCS on an emulator or HDTV I didn't even know the graphics were made up of huge solid blocks because on a CRT those huge blocks appear to be made of many blocks that aren't solid but detailed. So, in a way, the resolution looks higher on a CRT.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, you won't find any original versions of Frogger, arcade or otherwise, on anything anymore because of music rights issues.

Though the original Frogger music is gone for good for the rights issues you mention, Code Mystics actually worked with Konami to produce a new "official" Frogger back in 2013, with replacement music tracks (but identical game play). The cabinet art suffered from a similar problem, so new cabinet art was also created at that time. http://www.codemystics.com/products.shtml?22if anyone is curious.

• Like 1

Didn't Digital Eclipse do something similar for the early release of Frogger during the infancy of the Xbox Live Arcade service on the Xbox 360?

Anyone not intimately familiar with Frogger but still a fan of the golden age of arcade gaming would've never thought anything was up with that one. The music replacement utilizing what I assume was music that was all in the public domain was seamless and fits great.

Frogger without music on these AtGames devices though leaves something to be desired, which is too bad since it otherwise looks great and plays well.

Edited by Atariboy

Didn't Digital Eclipse do something similar for the early release of Frogger during the infancy of the Xbox Live Arcade service on the Xbox 360?

Technically Backbone Entertainment. They'd retired the Digital Eclipse name by then. I left the company before that one was complete, but I'm quite certain those assets were lost with the demise of the Vancouver studio in 2009. Certainly there was no trace of them by the time Code Mystics was revisiting Frogger in 2013.

(Side note: we tried to buy what was left of the Digital Eclipse code archives when the parent company Foundation 9 dissolved in 2015, but they were already long gone to the landfill. The only thing left was the name itself, which Other Ocean acquired and started publishing under as a label in 2015.)

Edited by JeffVav

And Foundation 9 is under the digital bros which also control studios like 505 Games. A very tangled web of company to company acquisition to acquisition. I only know that tidbit as my brother works as a game producer for that parent company in Oregon that owns F9E, Pipeworks, 505, etc.

And Foundation 9 is under the digital bros which also control studios like 505 Games. A very tangled web of company to company acquisition to acquisition. I only know that tidbit as my brother works as a game producer for that parent company in Oregon that owns F9E, Pipeworks, 505, etc.

Feeling a little guilty hijacking the topic but AFAIK digital bros. bought Pipeworks only, not all of Foundation 9. They acquired Pipeworks in 2014. F9 shuttered in 2016 after selling off or shuttering all the remaining studios. Backbone was shut down. Griptonite was sold to Glu. Double Helix (Shiny and The Collective) went to Amazon. Sumo bought its own freedom. And it even sold the name Digital Eclipse to Other Ocean. After that there was nothing left of F9 to sell save for some boxes. It doesn't seem likely anyone would've bought F9 itself in 2016.

I would like to see a new case design for this year's Flashback console as they've been using the same shell since the FB 3 from 2011. The FB 2 did a great job of resembling the original 2600, so something like that with controller ports in the back and the whole front having a wood design (not just the top strip).

It would be pretty cool to turn that Atari logo on the console into a button that will bring up the menu so we could still have that functionality when playing the unit using an original controller or paddle.

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 4

I would like to see a new case design for this year's Flashback console as they've been using the same shell since the FB 3 from 2011. The FB 2 did a great job of resembling the original 2600, so something like that with controller ports in the back and the whole front having a wood design (not just the top strip).

It would be pretty cool to turn that Atari logo on the console into a button that will bring up the menu so we could still have that functionality when playing the unit using an original controller or paddle.

I totally agree, a design where we can tell what position the Difficulty Switches are in just by glancing at them would be nice.

• Like 4

I second an update/revised case design. I think it would be cool if they did one that looked like the Sears Video Arcade II / Atari 2800. Probably a minority fan in that area, but still something needs to be done to the case.

I totally agree, a design where we can tell what position the Difficulty Switches are in just by glancing at them would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Any compilation plans this year from AtGames/Code Mystics? I've enjoyed last year's Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 and would love to see another arcade compilation of golden age arcade classics from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Tons of classic arcade games on modern platforms, but other than the Atari Flashback Classics line, my favorite era has been terribly underrepresented this generation. A few gems here and there like Moon Patrol and Vanguard, but not an awful lot.

Edited by Atariboy

Any compilation plans this year from AtGames/Code Mystics? I've enjoyed last year's Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 and would love to see another arcade compilation of golden age arcade classics from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Tons of classic arcade games on modern platforms, but other than the Atari Flashback Classics line, my favorite era has been terribly underrepresented this generation. A few gems here and there like Moon Patrol and Vanguard, but not an awful lot.

No software compilations this year (at least nothing in the planning as of yet). The big push is going to be our arcade machines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see the Legends Flashback improved. Hope that's on the radar for the future, even if it doesn't happen in 2019.

Very nice little machine. Has its issues ranging from build quality (The spring in my spring loaded SD slot was defective out of the box, for instance), a quirk on my machine at power up that often loads a game immediately on its own, and not properly opening up the SD slot for full use by the community (Mostly taken care of thanks to a talented individual around here, but there are things we can't do like displaying vertical arcade games properly that I assume AtGames could've provided had they followed through fully).

But it has pleased and surprised me more often than not. My classic arcade interest is primarily centered around the early 1980's and this earlier version of MAME and the Legends Flashback play most of those games I've thrown at it beautifully. Most of my hiccups other than with most Exidy games like Mouse Trap and Pepper II not working right are with the lack of audio in the majority of the black & white arcade games (I assume it's due to the age of this build of MAME, rather than the system or my HDTV), and newer games like Cisco Heat and Salamander often not working properly such as having major audio issues (Although plenty like UN Squadron work just great).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1