IGNORED

AtGames 2019 speculation thread

If my recollection is correct with what their representative here said, yes. No substantial improvements are in the works for 2019 and if their elimination of the SD card feature on the console is carried over to the portable, it's actually going to be a significantly inferior device. 

Even if the SD card stays, it's the same device at a likely cheaper price than the new 2019 model. And any new games added to the 2019 model are almost certainly already in the zip file posted here at AtariAge for the Flashback Portable. 

• Like 1

I'm really interested in picking up the arcade once it is released. I can see myself trying out the ArcadeNet depending on how much value there really is with the subscription. The big question I have is how many of these they will sell. At $500, I think it offers great value for the money, but that is still a huge amount of money.

11 minutes ago, bmadgames said:

I'm really interested in picking up the arcade once it is released. I can see myself trying out the ArcadeNet depending on how much value there really is with the subscription. The big question I have is how many of these they will sell. At $500, I think it offers great value for the money, but that is still a huge amount of money.

It's $599, actually. ArcadeNet and cloud streaming are definitely cool, but there are tons of free and one-time-fee options too, as you can see. Basically, a crazy number of options.

Reposting this from another thread, because as was stated and in fairness, there are a lot of threads...this one seems to be the more appropriate one...

Any word on Flashback X/Portable 2019 game list yet? We're getting close to the time period of launch, aren't we? I know it probably won't be until November (my guess, anyway) but since it is past the first week of Sept., I was thinking maybe At Games would be issuing the list at this point, or the notable new entries...

Thanks, and just curious, I know I may have to wait a bit longer...

9 hours ago, AAA177 said:

Reposting this from another thread, because as was stated and in fairness, there are a lot of threads...this one seems to be the more appropriate one...

Any word on Flashback X/Portable 2019 game list yet? We're getting close to the time period of launch, aren't we? I know it probably won't be until November (my guess, anyway) but since it is past the first week of Sept., I was thinking maybe At Games would be issuing the list at this point, or the notable new entries...

Thanks, and just curious, I know I may have to wait a bit longer...

They'll be out well before November. I don't know when we'll be releasing the game lists, etc., but it shouldn't be too much longer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

At this rate, they'll be on store shelves before the release date gets announced. ;)

Already seeing Christmas decorations pop up at the local Walmart...

I've already picked up a couple of Christmas presents myself!  I'm hopeful to be done by the end of November... well at least mostly done!  lol

Thanks for the explanations, Bill and AtariLeaf. 

I didn't actually watch the YouTube video, but the description and a few comments was enough to give me the gist (He likes his over dramatic YouTube productions a bit too much for my taste, so I'm sure he'll act like AtGames went out and their executives each kicked a puppy before making Walgreens upset). I had a feeling we'd see something like this since the Blast units locally seemed to have been weak sellers. 

Reading about Ms. Pac-Man, the issue doesn't seem so much that AtGames bought the rights that GCC held, but that they allegedly utilized them without the necessary authorization of Namco. Sounds vaguely reminiscent of the stunt Namco pulled back in the day with Midway/GCC. They were well aware of Ms. Pac-Man in development, gave feedback, and then after it becomes a huge success, sued for it not being produced with their permission in an underhanded move to try to steal the rights away (While Midway felt that all they needed for permission was the Pac-Man license).

I suspect, at least per the Namco viewpoint here, that AtGames had licensed Pac-Man from Namco and had these rights for Ms. Pac-Man from GCC, and decided that all the necessary rights to utilize the Ms. Pac-Man IP had been secured for AtGames to utilize the property in their products. But Namco appears to believe they have to authorize it specifically.

Too bad an amicable solution couldn't be found. For instance giving AtGames full use of their pre 1990 arcade library in the plug and play arena in exchange for giving over their rights to Ms. Pac-Man so that this flagship classic would be owned in full by Namco and be unhindered by extra fees when Namco wishes to rerelease their arcade catalog. 

Edited by Atariboy

There seems to be a clear case on one side or both some level of underhanded tactics.  This is in no way some clear case that's cut and dry.  Perhaps it's as simple as atgames trying to claim a right to something by proxy because of a right over the parent (pac-man), or they thought they bought the rights so they could do it, whatever.  Maybe Namco strung them along never being clear about it, or they had some other motive.  It does look more likely the case atgames over stepped, but we just don't know.  And if it wasn't an overstep, it was an overreach that'll likely end up backfiring horribly if Namco were not to come out happy in the end as they could take all their contracts and pull them for future projects and had them to arcade1up, myarcade, etc instead.Insert other media

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

There seems to be a clear case on one side or both some level of underhanded tactics.  This is in no way some clear case that's cut and dry.  Perhaps it's as simple as atgames trying to claim a right to something by proxy because of a right over the parent (pac-man), or they thought they bought the rights so they could do it, whatever.  Maybe Namco strung them along never being clear about it, or they had some other motive.  It does look more likely the case atgames over stepped, but we just don't know.  And if it wasn't an overstep, it was an overreach that'll likely end up backfiring horribly if Namco were not to come out happy in the end as they could take all their contracts and pull them for future projects and had them to arcade1up, myarcade, etc instead.Insert other media

I won't comment on this or any other legal action directly, obviously (and neither side can comment, obviously, even though it would certainly help to clarify things), but it's always important to keep in mind that any legal actions between companies is rarely a black and white affair. It's all too easy to go the legal route as a start to negotiations or to gain leverage, etc., than to resolve things in a more traditional manner. It gets especially complicated with international companies, who often have operations and operators in one territory that take action that then needs to be managed/overrided/derided/whatever by the parent company in another territory. 

And I just want to say that for future commenters, especially those who enjoy being anonymous and hurling foul language and insults, that there are human beings on the other side that you're directing your anger to, not soulless businesses. I hope you can make your case/express anger/frustration without devolving into overly personal attacks. And I also hope that if you do, you truly have a straight story, although again, I realize that can be especially difficult with legal and related matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

And I just want to say that for future commenters, especially those who enjoy being anonymous and hurling foul language and insults, that there are human beings on the other side that you're directing your anger to, not soulless businesses. I hope you can make your case/express anger/frustration without devolving into overly personal attacks. And I also hope that if you do, you truly have a straight story, although again, I realize that can be especially difficult with legal and related matters.

I tried to message you a link but couldn't.  I found a months-old Twitter thread of some teenagers indirectly mocking that Mario username for the exact same ranting style--even Namco-related.  The dude has issues.

• Like 1

We've noticed that a number of new user accounts appear to have been created specifically for the purpose of writing abusive posts and threads about AtGames.  The posts in question have been removed, and the users blocked from the threads, and the same will be done in response to any further abusive behavior.  Nobody is trying to "defend" AtGames or to "protect" it from legitimate criticisms, but trolling by new users who are here solely for that reason is not acceptable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1