IGNORED

B&W GBA

I just found a new trick. This is on an original rectangle game boy advance. If you press the left direction on the dpad and hold the "B" button at the same time. Then turn on the game boy advance and it turns the screen black and white. True black and white like the pocket and not pea soup like the original brick. So no need for a pocket anymore. But only for original games and not advance games. But still cool. And other directions and a or b also change the color palette. But don' t have an game boy advance so to test. But is awesome on my regular advance. Except dim screen . Can somebody try this on a SP and tell me if it works.

Ok I'll be the jerk here. How many of you owned the GBC or GBA when it came out new, or in time came across ownership of the manual? I'm only asking because it's in there. The GBA does it because of the GBC as they added its guts as part of the design of the GBA for all that backward compatibility it does so well. The GBC (and GBA) give you 12 color choice though (to me) defaults to a less desirable one and in that set of choices you have pea green GB style and gameboy pocket b&w style selection too.

Also of note for fun, and there's probably a list online somewhere to be found, the GBC hardware also has in its microscopic little BIOS the capability to pull a list of games that were developed and published, or even third party developed yet published by Nintendo that have pre-designated custom color palettes setup for those games. Try looking at something like Kirby 2 and Metroid 2 some time as you'll find they color code them for you, it doesn't jump to the default, same with Street Fighter II that Nintendo published for Capcom.

I used to go to the same ToysRus as a kid!

I did not. I only went there because everybody was out of stock. I called everyone. No dice. Except they had a just got a bunch. But they only had one color which was clear purple. Otherwise there was closer. But I did not have time to be picky. So I took one and a Zelda game. It did not come with one like the original did.

Huh strange you got a mis-packaged GBC or the store screwed you.

This is the US market GBC manual that came with the devices. IT's folded out and scanned over just 2 pages, your color choices are listed on the bottom of the front page, right side in section 8.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1049644/Nintendo-Gameboy-Color.html

I got mine the day they came out too, solid purple as I've never cared for the see through stuff.

• Like 1

I did not. I only went there because everybody was out of stock. I called everyone. No dice. Except they had a just got a bunch. But they only had one color which was clear purple. Otherwise there was closer. But I did not have time to be picky. So I took one and a Zelda game. It did not come with one like the original did.

Which store did you use to go to?

• 2 weeks later...