israelg

Sony Playstation Classic + Retroarch ?

Does anyone here know anything about memory cards? I got the bright idea to load my PS Classic to the brim with a 400 gb microsd card only to learn that USB readers won't accept that large of size (or so the seller told me). Does anyone know if this is true? I guess I'll throw it in my phone if it won't work. It's currently coming in the mail, so I can't really do any tests myself yet and am curious.

That doesn't sound right. There are different standards, and I could see how you wouldn't be able to use a plain old SD card reader (up to 2GB capacity) with a SDXC (32GB - 2TB capacity) card. But if you bought stuff that was built for SDXC, you should be good to go. Maybe your vendor just doesn't sell what's needed.

A 400GB card (which is way less expensive than it was just a few months ago!) works great in a Nintendo Switch and should be fine in your phone as you point out. 

In my experience, transferring CD-ROM games to these devices is slow and a pain in the butt. Filling up a 32GB drive was plenty for me. I haven't taken mine out lately but I "need" to revisit that. 

You know I had no interest in getting a Playstation Classic myself, mostly because my collecting days have ended, maybe one day I would accept one in some sort of trade because frankly I WAS tempted if I could have found one in my area for a reasonable price, sadly I never did BUT considering the mods and hacks that can been done I certainly would not pass on one under the right conditions, sure as is and for the launch price it was not great but for those who do not mind a little tinkering getting one for a good price is a no brainer and aside from other emulation and hacks I just seen THIS video from a source that has been legit, not a bad way to play Nintendo DS titles !

TEASER of Nintendo DS Running on Playstation Classic - COMING SOON! | DEMO

[media]https://youtu.be/wrmcy_yFxSw[/media]

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

DRastic runs pretty nice on the SNESC ( considering )... so I'm thinking it will run even better on the PSC although I've yet to see that come to fruition.  I think that is partially due to the fact that the three popular PSC hacks only have the ability to load retroarch and it's cores in addition to the normal PSC carousel.  Whereas other potential titles like DRastic and openbor are standalone programs.  I'm hoping they will come up with a way to pass parameters to homebrew titles like you can do on the SNESC.  That will open a lot of possibilities for the PSC.

Edit:

I just watched the video and I see definite performance improvement over the SNESC version of this emulator.  :D

Edited by Shannon

Well just to let you guys know.  Bleemsync 1.1 just came out.. has has OTG support.. more stable retroarch support ( no more black screens ) and support for Retroarch "Xtreme" cores.  I'll post more info later.  I'm kinda wiped from tinkering with it.  But I was able to load numerous games without black screening like I was getting before.  I also tested my OTG adapter that I use for my SNESC and it worked perfectly fine.  Upgrading the Kernel in order to get OTG support is a little tricky.  Especially if your current PSC mem stick is in NTFS or exFAT format.

Finally.. Yes your PSC will have to be modified in order for the OTG enabling kernel to work.  Bleemsync 1.1 does, however, back-up all of your Kernal files to the USB stick so you can safely stash them away if you want to restore the PSC to it's previous state.  Which would require two steps.. 1 ) restoring your current PSC Kernal, 2) Using the bleemsync uninstall instructions.

Later!

To further elaborate.  When I first got my PSC I began the process of going through each Retroarch emu ( mostly the ones I'm interested in ) and testing / setting them up so I knew what was needed to get them working, how they performed, which ones were worth using, etc.  One of the downsides of Retroarch was the tendency to black screen or lock-up after opening and closing many games.  I eventually just developed the habit of exiting retroarch on each game load in hopes that they would someday fix it.

I eventually started working on playlists for each systems.  Once I got them working nicely I started adding box/cartridge art as well as in-game screenshots.  I've only recently added overlays for those systems that don't use up the full screen when emulating.  It's pretty nice!  With this latest release the stability seems to be much improved!  Last night I was able to load and exit numerous titles without any lockup before I decided to call it a night.  So I'm one step closer to making this a pretty nice setup.

The SNESC by far still has a more flexible interface but it's hardware is a little less powerful than the PSC.  I'll have to read the changelog.. but they did mention adding the ability to command line launch titles from the main menu.  So I can see stuff like OpenBor ( which recently reached the SNESC ) and Drastic ( DS emulator ) making it to the PSC soon.  Watching that video the DS emulation seems like a good jump over the SNESC.

When I get a chance I'll read over the 1.1 list to see what other goodies they have in there.  But that is currently what I'm doing with my PSC.