IGNORED

Checkered Flag ROM Compilation and source tweaks

Sporadic

5 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

The claim presented needs a lot more grounding to have credibility for myself, as it suggests:

The version of events Marc tells Matthew is in fact wrong, Eclipse totally finished  the game, despite having no publisher lined up, show it to Atari, hoping they will sign it, but Atari decline, stating it needed to of been shown to them a lot earlier.

This throws up so many questions:

1) Why was it deemed too late? Jaguar market iit's death throes or did Atari decide W.T.R was enough?

2)Where did Eclipse get the funding to pursue a title that at that point had no signed publisher and why on earth take such a commercial risk on a niche platform like the Jaguar?

3) If complete..why didn't Eclipse approach a third party to publish it on their behalf? 

4.) To me it was just a joke ;-) It makes no sense otherwise.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

4.) To me it was just a joke ;-) It makes no sense otherwise.

Or the supposedly claim comes from a press claim or someone in the community with 'insider knowledge'.

It was hard enough finding Marc chatting about the game as was, so if there are other sources out there with extra Eclipse info, i wish they would come forward.

Getting back on topic. .

Looking back at the early Atari Entertainment Magazine interview with Rebellion,  they thought the Jaguar platform would sell a million units..they'd been very 'bullish' anout their abilities when they approached Atari for a Jaguar development system and AVP and Checkered Flag proved Atari's trust in them..they did not want to do crap games, but showcase games for the system instead.

I remember "Battlewheels" being advertised for the Jaguar... What if you made the vehicles in CF apocalyptic and reduce some of the 3D models in the levels...? I'd like to see something like that on the Jag using CF engine. Just throwing ideas out there for the duration; I'm doing it a little old-school here, it's probably more YouTube stuff than I need to be posting; I draw inspiration from other great ideas. I can't really tell how many ideas come to mind when I first got my hands on the source code sometime back. I hadn't look codes until recently... Lots of 3D coordinates for object in Assembly, the rest is stuff I hope to pick up along the way at some point.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:54 AM, philipj said:

I remember "Battlewheels" being advertised for the Jaguar... What if you made the vehicles in CF apocalyptic and reduce some of the 3D models in the levels...? I'd like to see something like that on the Jag using CF engine. Just throwing ideas out there for the duration; I'm doing it a little old-school here, it's probably more YouTube stuff than I need to be posting; I draw inspiration from other great ideas. I can't really tell how many ideas come to mind when I first got my hands on the source code sometime back. I hadn't look codes until recently... Lots of 3D coordinates for object in Assembly, the rest is stuff I hope to pick up along the way at some point.

According to ex Beyond sources I was put in contact with,early 3D models was as far as Jag Battlewheels progressed.

But others in the community have suggested it got further. 

9 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

According to ex Beyond sources I was put in contact with,early 3D models was as far as Jag Battlewheels progressed.

But others in the community have suggested it got further. 

Battlewheels was nearly a selling point for me... I remember seeing the box art in game magazines back in the day, but I'd already had a Sega CD and an SNES console. Had I not gotten those, I certainly would've put my money on the Jaguar just to peep out Battlewheels. 

6 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

It still wouldn't be a fun game.

Why do you say that? The goal is to learn from the source code and come up with something better... Where there's a will, there's a way.

4 hours ago, philipj said:

The goal is to learn from the source code

What would you learn from Checkered Flag in the first place? It's a mediocre game in every way: sluggish 3D, unimpressive graphics, dull music, poor controls. You'd have to scratch almost everything to turn it into a good game.

Heck, you'd learn much more by reading the source for a good Atari ST 3D game.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

What would you learn from Checkered Flag in the first place? It's a mediocre game in every way: sluggish 3D, unimpressive graphics, dull music, poor controls. You'd have to scratch almost everything to turn it into a good game.

Heck, you'd learn much more by reading the source for a good Atari ST 3D game.

I'm already on top of it thanks to my HP printer... I'm hoping to learn 3D programming in Assembly with the Motorola 68000. Still it would be a great to revisit the old source code again to study how they got it all going on the Jaguar. CF seems to cover a broader range 3D realestate visually even more so than Cybermorph. It's the only game that manages to do so other than DOOM and that's not really real 3D in the traditional sense, but pulls off fake 3D quite nicely. It's clear they (Rebellion) had to pull a few tricks to fit so much 3D into their game; it seems very modular the way the 3D is being rendered where the game is using copies of the same 3D model in certain place while other places, it using low poly buildings and such once the car gets to a certain points... The affect makes for a very convincing huge 3D world despite the sluggish frame rate. Even I couldn't really do anything with the source code, there's still a lot of knowledge that can be gained; might can come up with something better.

PICT2201.JPG

Edited by philipj
  • Like 1