IGNORED

Favorite Atari 8-bit Computer Homebrew Games?

Albert

Time, energy and skill! Not all of us are as savvy at soldering and such :)

Edit: Sorry, I was just noticed you have an XEGS with no ECI...so I guess you'd have to get a different XE or XL first...though he does have an internal 512K sram memory upgrade that I think works in an XEGS and needs very little soldering (maybe can connect with alligator clips?) but I suppose the XEGS doesn't have a socketed ANTIC which would be a problem too... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277204-some-new-not-really-hardware-made-by-tfhh/?hl=+sys#8208check

Buy a Syscheck 2.2 from tf_hh, I think he sells three versions now, one for both XL/XE and two that are XL or XE only. Comes with a diagnostic OS, 3 other OS's (and I even had him flash OS's of my choice), and 512K of external memory for a total of 576K Atari (except for the 600XL, I think you have to upgrade it to 64K first or maybe it can piggy-back on a 1064?), all for one low price and all you do is plug it into the ECI or PBI port and select from several dip switches exactly what you want to use between the PBI card and the computer as far as OS & memory. 99.9% compatible with all extended memory software out there, legacy or new home-brew. I've gone this route with two of my XL's now and only have one with an internal memory & OS upgrade.

The best choice there is available right now, if you don't want to modify your computer at all, or can't. He has a newer thread introducing the other versions of Sys-check, but it didn't come up in my search. But they are referred too later in this thread below. Just PM tf_hh.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251315-sys-check-v22-ready-to-use-batch-available/page-1?hl=%20sys

I just ordered and received my second one this very month, and I think he still has more available.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here's my list of recommendations. A few are not exactly "Homebrews", but they're worth checking out.

Just an alphabetical list. I've also attached all the games on the list and just about every other Homebrew

I've collected over the last 14 years. I'm sure I've missed some, but most of the majors and minors are

here. I also threw in documentation for some that I have.

Homebrews.zip

Atari Blast

AtariNet

Baby Berks

BlowSub

Bomb Jack

Castle Crisis

Combat (2600)

Crownland

Cubico

Deathchase XE

Diamondz

Dr. Mario

Druidarium (WIP)

Dye

Dyna Blaster

ECKN+

h3x0r (1K & Deluxe)

Isora

Jewel Bits

Loops (DX & Zen)

Major Blink

Manic Miner

Mind Blast

Monex

Nibbly

Ocean Detox

Pang

Platform Engine

Project-M v2

RGB

Ridiculous Reality

Seaquest (2600)

Space Harrier

Star Raiders (Phaeron v7a)

Stunt Car Racer

Sudoku Sweep

Swapz

Tensor Trzaskowskiego

Thetris

Time Pilot

TriPeaksXE

Udders

X-8

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 7

Here's my list of recommendations. A few are not exactly "Homebrews", but they're worth checking out.

Just an alphabetical list. I've also attached all the games on the list and just about every other Homebrew

I've collected over the last 14 years. I'm sure I've missed some, but most of the majors and minors are

here. I also threw in documentation for some that I have.

attachicon.gifHomebrews.zip

Atari Blast

AtariNet

Baby Berks

BlowSub

Bomb Jack

Castle Crisis

Combat (2600)

Crownland

Cubico

Deathchase XE

Diamondz

Dr. Mario

Druidarium (WIP)

Dye

Dyna Blaster

ECKN+

h3x0r (1K & Deluxe)

Isora

Jewel Bits

Loops (DX & Zen)

Major Blink

Manic Miner

Mind Blast

Monex

Nibbly

Ocean Detox

Pang

Platform Engine

Project-M v2

RGB

Ridiculous Reality

Seaquest (2600)

Space Harrier

Star Raiders (Phaeron v7a)

Stunt Car Racer

Sudoku Sweep

Swapz

Tensor Trzaskowskiego

Thetris

Time Pilot

TriPeaksXE

Udders

X-8

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

A near-perfect list, to which I would only add Marbled and Bosconian.
  • Like 2

A near-perfect list, to which I would only add Marbled and Bosconian.

Ah, see, I did forget one -- Bosconian. I haven't added it to my main file folder yet, that's why. There were so many

versions, that I never took the time to sort through them all and give them names (according to the standard naming

scheme that I use). So, it just slipped through the cracks. It definitely belongs on my list and in the file archive.

Marbled is in the archive, but I never was a big fan of the game. It's well done, for sure. Another thing is it's yet another

PAL only game. So, it just didn't make the grade, for me. I like plenty of their other games.

I'm sure there are a few others missing from the archive and my list (I've always got tons of unsorted files). So, I won't

change anything until I hear some more complaints. ;)

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Just want to say, you guys rock! I really look forward to playing all these games once I have a bit of time -- forum upgrade is coming first, which I will be working full-time on very soon, then moving the store to completely new software, and by then I should have a nice 8-bit setup. :)

Keep 'em coming! I'm going to setup a spreadsheet with all the titles everyone's listed, and sort them by the number of times each has been listed. I'll then paste this list to the first post in this thread and keep it updated periodically.

..Al

• Like 1

Keep 'em coming! I'm going to setup a spreadsheet with all the titles everyone's listed, and sort them by the number of times each has been listed. I'll then paste this list to the first post in this thread and keep it updated periodically.

I and other people in this thread mentioned only games not previously mentioned by others.

For example, I like Yoomp! and many other games but I have not listed them because already mentioned.

• Like 1

The other thing that's cool about Fandal's site, since he's so meticulous about adding new homebrews, artwork, demos, intros, and music, is that you can

type something like 2018 in the search box and click the little "In Details" below it, which will give you basically every new Atari thing released in that year.

Can't get that on any other site.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Comparing first post with my homebrew selection, the following games are missing:

Animal Party
Assembloids XE
Asteroids Emulator
Callisto

Duszpasterz Jan Rzygon / Priest John McPuke

Flowers Mania
Great Escape, The
Highway Encounter

Hobgoblin
International Karate Enhanced Edition
Knight Lore
Kowalsky's Fury
Laura
Mighty Jiff Off
Millionaire

Nightshade
Strictly Gone Bananas
Total Eclipse

Treasure Island Dizzy
Xirius Defect XXL

Edited by Philsan
  • Like 1

Flimbo isn't quite ready for prime-time, compared to some of the other WIP's.

Is it WIP? If so I will remove it because I keep WIP inside another folder until they are finished.

I edited my post and added five more games.

Regarding Dimo's Quest, the latest and best ones are:

Dimo's Quest Lurch Edition (2016) (Thomas Schulz, Thomas Prinz, Hilton Theissen)

Dimo's Quest New Year Edition (2015) (Thomas Schulz, Thomas Prinz, Hilton Theissen)

The other thing that's cool about Fandal's site, since he's so meticulous about adding new homebrews, artwork, demos, intros, and music, is that you can

type something like 2018 in the search box and click the little "In Details" below it, which will give you basically every new Atari thing released in that year.

Can't get that on any other site.

atarionline.pl is now much better than it used to be. More and more entries with TOSEC data.

Fandal's archive is of a top quality. For example, there is no single binary load file with a questionable structure.

But there is a difference between atarionline.pl and Fandal. AO intentionally collects diverse versions of particular software - cracked, packed, cheated,even defective; and tape images too.

Fandal picks the best version and doesn't care of tapes at all (except mining .xexes from real tapes, which is a real ordeal)

Different approaches, both perfectly valid and beneficial.

• Like 1

atarionline.pl is now much better than it used to be. More and more entries with TOSEC data.

Fandal's archive is of a top quality. For example, there is no single binary load file with a questionable structure.

But there is a difference between atarionline.pl and Fandal. AO intentionally collects diverse versions of particular software - cracked, packed, cheated,even defective; and tape images too.

Fandal picks the best version and doesn't care of tapes at all (except mining .xexes from real tapes, which is a real ordeal)

And I add that Homesoft continually updates and improves files to remove loading glitches.

• Like 3

I'm not saying Fandal's site is better than any other site. I'm just pointing out the particular benefits it provides over some of the other sites.

I use all of them: AtariOnline, Atarimania, Fandal, Homesoft, Pigwa, Holmes CD's, Atari 8-Bit Software Preservation, DjayBee's ATX Cracks, etc.

Each site/collection has their strong points.

[Edit]

I love AtariOnline. They cover all the new stuff in detail on the home page -- including pictures, videos, and dowload links, have the forums with

all the newest Polish developments, and tons of great files in their archives. Plus there's a link to download all files on the site in a single 7Zip file.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2