IGNORED

"Joyas" game, extended version

dmsc

Hi all!

As you may have read in the thread Merge 3 Games , with the help of @MrFish I expanded my tenliner "joyas" to a full game.

I ported the game from TurboBasic to FastBasic to include as an example in the distribution, so it is written completely in FastBasic, and the source is available to expand and modify.

The game is a variation on the match-three pieces kind of game, there are 3 main game modes with two difficulty levels each:

- Moves: in this mode, you start with 15 moves and gain one move at each power of two points (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.). When you run out of moves, the game ends.

- Timer: In this mode, you start with 15 seconds, and you gain one second for each three pieces matched, two seconds for each four-match, three seconds for five-match, etc. After the time runs out, the game ends.

- Hard: This is a combination of both above, you start with 15 moves and *loose* one move each second, but gain moves on matches.

Also, there are "+" versions of the moves with increased difficulty: the pieces that match at the start of the game don't add to the points.

post-18634-0-95018600-1548205210.png

Attached is the XEX and the source, you can compile it with the fastbasic cross compiler or type in the Atari IDE.

All the graphics are drawn by MrFish, the code is by me.

(simple) suggestions welcomed!

joyas.bas

joyas.xex

• Like 15

and the source, you can compile it with the fastbasic cross compiler or type in the Atari IDE.

Hello, dmsc!

I have question - where I can find more info about this cross-compiler and fast-basic knowledge? I usually write my programs in Turba Basic XL, but maybe fast basic is good alternative for me (sometimes)?

Hi all!

I have a new version, with some changes suggested by MrFish:

- A new game mode with diagonal combinations, try it!

- Better cursor movement, with sound,

- A better intro screen, with more information,

- Scores shown besides the board.

As always, source and binary attached, have fun!!

post-18634-0-93769200-1548633731.png post-18634-0-95016000-1548633742.png

joyas.bas

joyas.xex

• Like 11

OK, let's not let this thread die because it has been "cleaned up" and let's get back on-topic.

So, instead of commenting on the shapes, let's talk about colors :) Having four colors and six shapes means two pairs will have the same color. I think it's crucial that the symbols that share a color, should be as different as possible otherwise (shapewise :)). Green is covered imho, but red is not. They look too much alike. Perhaps the yellow shape could be switched with the red inverted-cross shape. I think that'll be easier on the eyes and makes one see patterns more quickly.

Also, how about a title tune? Any ideas about style/genre/etc..? Could add to the tutorial style, i.e. how to include an RMT music file in FastBasic.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

So, instead of commenting on the shapes, let's talk about colors :) Having four colors and six shapes means two pairs will have the same color. I think it's crucial that the symbols that share a color, should be as different as possible otherwise (shapewise :)). Green is covered imho, but red is not. They look too much alike. Perhaps the yellow shape could be switched with the red inverted-cross shape. I think that'll be easier on the eyes and makes one see patterns more quickly.

I'm of the same opinion (which I think I may have stated before... maybe in P/M only, though...), about making the pieces with the same color different enough to be easily distinguishable from each other; and I'd been thinking to swap those exact pieces; so, here it is...

joyas (color change).xex

post-6369-0-02357100-1548886291_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

I know it would not be a minor change, but I'd go for PMG underlay to add the missing colours. This would give you enough colours to have every shape different.

Yeah, I would always start designing any puzzle-type game with that in mind; so, it's been hard for me not to suggest it yet. It's always worth adding PMG's to any display...

• Like 1