IGNORED

Is a Jaguar port of the Amiga version of "Fantastic Voyage" possible?

cessnaace

As much as I love the "Fantastic Voyage" game for the 2600, there is a more faithful game to the movie.

The Amiga release of "Fantastic Voyage" looks amazing. Royalties aside, is it technically possible? I realize that most ports to the Jaguar originated as Atari ST releases. I would buy a Jaguar port if it were offered. It would have to be on cartridge though as I can never find a working Jaguar CD drive, much less at a reasonable price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4R3gz3Igw

• 3 weeks later...

Great sounds and music! Looks like they took the plot from Innerspace or whatever that Dennis Quaid movie was.

The only other gripe is that it looks like your ship it too close to the leading edge of the screen, making it more "cheap death" prone than if it were balanced back a little further.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great sounds and music! Looks like they took the plot from Innerspace or whatever that Dennis Quaid movie was.

The only other gripe is that it looks like your ship it too close to the leading edge of the screen, making it more "cheap death" prone than if it were balanced back a little further.

I've died alot of cheap deaths in shooters. I'm use to it. But if you don't like cheap deaths then steer clear of the 3 shooters Mythicon released for the 2600. Plus which, they're not even good looking, or sounding, or playing. "Fantastic Voyage" looks and sounds great, and I want to play it. ;-)

I remember playing this on the Amiga! Its a fun shooter with great graphics and sound. Im not sure if it could be ported easily to the Jaguar, though. I remember reading elsewhere that the Amigas custom chipset makes it difficult to port games to the Jaguar.

I was afraid of something like that. Of course, there's always the version released for the ZX Spectrum. ;-)

• Like 1

But we already have an amazing port of Xenon 2! It's so much prettier. :)

Oh, I plan to buy Xenon 2: Mega Blast for the Jaguar. I've seen play footage of it. Currently the only port of this shooter that I own is for the Sega Master System. A U.K. release, but it plays fine on an NTSC console on a CRT. Glitchy on some HD TVs (North American ones anyway). I really want the upgrade to the Jaguar, as it looks great!

I remember playing this on the Amiga! Its a fun shooter with great graphics and sound. Im not sure if it could be ported easily to the Jaguar, though. I remember reading elsewhere that the Amigas custom chipset makes it difficult to port games to the Jaguar.

It does seem that most games ported to the Jaguar originated as an Atari ST release, although some games were obviously released for both the Amiga and the ST. One game that came out for the Jaguar back when Atari supported it that came out for the Amiga but not the ST is "Pinball Fantasies." But then it was also released on PC.

I still have the boxed copy of this game. It is a very hard game, from the video, it looks like I only managed to pass half of the game.

I wish that I could play it, but I don't own an Amiga and have terrible luck with emulators, as I'm rather hopeless at using them. The only emulator that I have long term experience with is EMU7800 (currently using version 2.2), which can emulate the 7800 and the 2600. I use WinRAR to archive my .bin files.

Also I need to buy a NeoGeo or Dreamcast...

Well, I have a Dreamcast. I pre-ordered it. And it still works. You need one that was manufactured prior to November of 2000 if you want to play homebrew or aftermarket games on it. This is when Sega removed Mil-CD support due to rampant piracy. You can confirm this by looking at the barcode on the console, and also by checking for the Sega Corporation branding. Sega made the name Sega Corporation official on November 1, 2000. So that automatically rules out the black Dreamcast with Sega Sports on the lid, as it was released after that date.

The irony is that Sega invented Mil-CD as an enhanced CD format, although only 9 albums were released using it, and only in Japan.