IGNORED

Technical Achievement Award: 2018 Atari Awards

Technical Achievement Award: 2018 Atari Awards  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Technical Achievement Award: 2018 Atari Awards

• Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: Alternating playfield priority to create transparency effect (sun/moon shining through the clouds)
    • Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: 32 pixel sprite that smoothly enters, traverses and exits the length of the color changing playfield (both single line) without using HMOVE blanks, WSYNCs or using extra sprite data
    • Grey Screen with No Music by Tjoppen for 16 Byte "Maximum Minimal" Demo
    • Hard 2632 by Imp & SvOlli: 32 byte hardware dip switch demo implementation
    • Mappy by Thomas Jentzsch (code) & Nathan Strum (graphics): 85 pixel multicolor title screen
    • Mappy by John Champeau: Player and Enemy anti-flicker code
    • Studio 2600 by Norbert Landsteiner aka NoLand: 2600 Audio Demo Software

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2018 Atari Awards

Celebrating the best in Atari 2600 Homebrew

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Technical Achievement Award:

Selection should be based on innovations that push the boundaries of Atari VCS compatible hardware or software that debuted during the year. The technical achievement must have been demonstrated in a public available video, released hardware or in a completed game, WIP game, demo or hack. Technical achievements debuted in a previous year are not eligible.

Voting:

Please select one of the choices for this category. The winner and runners up will be revealed LIVE during the 2018 Atari Awards Presentation Ceremony on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch channel on February 23rd, 2019 at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT!

Nominees:

Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: Alternating playfield priority to create transparency effect (sun/moon shining through the clouds)

Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: 32 pixel sprite that smoothly enters, traverses and exits the length of the color changing playfield (both single line) without using HMOVE blanks, WSYNCs or using extra sprite data

Grey Screen with No Music by Tjoppen for 16 Byte "Maximum Minimal" Demo

Hard 2632 by Imp & SvOlli: 32 byte hardware dip switch demo implementation

Mappy by Thomas Jentzsch (code) & Nathan Strum (graphics): 85 pixel multicolor title screen

Mappy by John Champeau: Player and Enemy anti-flicker code

Studio 2600 by Norbert Landsteiner aka NoLand: 2600 Audio Demo Software

Download (Binaries/Instructions/Packaging): https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AG3wc7MKI7gPQis&id=EBF48A1964E7EEB5%21528&cid=EBF48A1964E7EEB5

post-37205-0-51338700-1548285197_thumb.jpg

Edited by cimmerian

You're nominated for WIP Homebrew Award for ChaoticGrill! :-) Congrats!

I was going to make some long rant about how the burgers in ChaoticGrill should be included... but then I saw the previous year disqualification and realized that I did the burgers way back end of 2015/ beginning of 2016.

• Like 3

I always hate the flickering on 2600 games. I know it's lots of work to resolve and I'm very glad to see it done right with such a complex game for 2600.

Mappy by John Champeau: Player and Enemy anti-flicker code !

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I always hate the flickering on 2600 games. I know it's lots of work to resolve and I'm very glad to see it done right with such a complex game for 2600.

Mappy by John Champeau: Player and Enemy anti-flicker code !

Ditto.

All great entries! I voted for the 16 byte demo by Tjoppen - that's got to be the smallest demo ever :)

Here's something interesting to share for this topic - modern technical achievements using Atari technology are still possible because of Cyan engineering's racing the beam flexible TIA architecture:

A peer review paper on a new technology for motion blur reduction was released in 2018, discovered in parallel going back to 2012 with an Assembly example on the Atari side, but it wasn't until 2016 with BASIC Programming that the effects were observed and understood (amidst controversy that usually accompanies new science discoveries) .

There's a fun discussion thread here with full details, games to play and examples you can try on your monitor or CRT, and that you can use to make your modern monitor work better with Stella, modern consoles and movies:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4135

Note: If you apply the MBR patch to your modern monitor it reduces the exaggerated pulse width to more resemble CRT thus trading a reduction in motion blur for an increase in traditional flicker; more applicable for some folks and genres.

• 3 weeks later...

THE POLLS ARE CLOSED!!!

Thank you so much to everyone in the AtariAge community for participating in the 2018 Atari Awards! The final voting totals have been recorded as of 12:00:00AM PT February 19, 2019.

See everyone this Saturday, February 23, 2019, at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT for the LIVE award presentations on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch channel!

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Note: Although it appears you are still able to vote, due to polling software in place, no more votes past the cutoff date will be counted.