IGNORED

3D Printed SIO Jack

Bill Lange

I'm working on a 3D printed SIO receptacle.

I'm using the Best Electronics' SIO Apelink board as a model.

post-188-0-02572100-1548286021_thumb.jpg

I'm working on two pieces [receptacle/base] that will snap and/or screw together.

post-188-0-28798500-1548286765.png

Here are some draft photos:

post-188-0-91870200-1548286344_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-86134800-1548286380_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-08458300-1548286392_thumb.jpg

The pieces need some adjusting:

• On the receptacle (top) part, I'm going to move the screw wings flush with the back so that it can 3D print without supports
  • Recessed screw/nut holes
  • Add some supports/braces to hold the pins in place as well

I'm going to try some pins something like these:

post-188-0-93569800-1548286597.png

The pins will all likely be one length, so they will stick out of the bottom of the base at two heights/lengths. The pins will need to be clipped off once soldered to a board.

Any comments or suggestions before I get to far down this rabbit hole?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by Albert
  • Like 12

If the socket on the Apelink board is the standard socket, then I can try to match that exactly. I'll just de-solder one of the receptacles off the board and then have my 3D printed tweaked to line up with the holes.

I have a few 1088XEL around here somewhere as well, so I can check that too.

I do need to figure out how to screw the two parts together while still staying close to the standard socket.

Edited by Bill Lange

If the socket on the Apelink board is the standard socket, then I can try to match that exactly. I'll just de-solder one of the receptacles off the board and then have my 3D printed tweaked to line up with the holes.

I have a few 1088XEL around here somewhere as well, so I can check that too.

I do need to figure out how to screw the two parts together while still staying close to the standard socket.

The ports on the Apelink are the same. I looked at yours a few years ago at VCFSE. Did you build your 1088XEL yet?

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

There are 3D printer files for (female) SIO connectors on thingiverse.com, I have 3D printed several SIO connectors using these designs. I've found the print quality has been a bit variable, but this is more dependent on the printer and the quality of PLA I used (some have printed very well, some have needed a little bit of filing, but if they print OK, they can usually be made to work). If you go this route, you will also need some KK 396 crimps, and a crimping tool - @Mr Robot has written this up on his most excellent website, either separately or as part of his SDriveMax write-up (not sure which).

On the other hand, if you are after the SIO connectors that are part of the 8-bit computers/disk-drives (male ones), then you might have to start from scratch, though you should be able to get some of the connection specs from the existing 3D SIO connector designs, in the sense of this fits into that, etc. 

Edited by E474

• 3 months later...

I have begun working on a replacement SIO Receptacle that will be a drop in replacement for the original. The idea came while I was working on the FujiNet SIO connectors and I did a quick mock up in 3D. There was some mention of having trouble finding SIO connectors in the Eclaire XL thread and I posted some info there, but this thread seems a better place for it so I will post my progress here. 

The plastic consist of two 3D printed parts. A small PCB is used as the 90 degree 'bend' for the pins. Pins going to the motherboard are standard header pins inserted into the plastic and soldered to the PCB. The SIO pins are the same used on the FujiNet (Part # 5-745287-4).

I don't know yet if the design works. Seems like it should :) I finally ordered PCB's today and I can start running test prints of the plastics to see how they fit. Here are some 3D renders:

SIO-Receptacle-2.thumb.png.4f7e3114f4de8aaa9d8f015c9f581811.png

SIO-Receptacle-1.png.42cd49a84ee6bfc6ee6e5c72db974239.png

SIO-Receptacle-3.thumb.png.31fa65d82e965d2503d72747b79cadd1.png

SIO-Receptacle-PCB-Bottom.png.f445e0d0593c9126506611cbc118ec84.png

SIO-Receptacle-PCB-Top.png.ffcd6b3c145863f276533e6d213070c2.png

• Like 17

This looks pretty cool.

Would it be easier, would there be an interest, would it even be helpful to create something that is the first part of this and then translates on the other side to something that is still readily available?

In other words, let people create hardware with, say a DB25 on it, and then plug a straight-through adapter that plugs into the DB-25 and then has this plug on it?

By eliminating the need to right-angle and make it solderable, does it make it any easier?

Just thinking out loud... :) 

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

This looks pretty cool.

Would it be easier, would there be an interest, would it even be helpful to create something that is the first part of this and then translates on the other side to something that is still readily available?

In other words, let people create hardware with, say a DB25 on it, and then plug a straight-through adapter that plugs into the DB-25 and then has this plug on it?

By eliminating the need to right-angle and make it solderable, does it make it any easier?

Just thinking out loud... :) 

That could work, but I would prefer to keep it as close to original as possible. Who wants to have more adapters? :) With the availability of 3D printing, we can make all the SIO connectors we want, plug and receptacle. Those without 3D printers can use a service to have them printed for a reasonable price. I had some high quality FujiNet SIO connectors printed (Nylon MJF) for roughly $5 each and then you just add your pins.

• Like 4

Hello Bill

On 1/24/2019 at 3:29 AM, Bill Lange said:
On 1/24/2019 at 3:03 AM, Curt Vendel said:

I can scan and post the mechanical drawings of the SIO port if that would help.

If you could, that would be great. I'd like to have the exact measurements.

Did this ever happen?

Sincerely

Mathy

21 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

How many SIO connectors do we need in the next couple of years?

Sincerely

Mathy

Infinite numbers? I know a further run of Eclaire's can't happen without them, the 1088XEL/XLD use them, and those are just two projects off the top of my head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello orpheuswaking

Something tells me, the amount of Eclaires, XEL/XLD's and the like being build in the next couple of years will be fairly limited.  We probably need more SIO connectors for peripherals like the SIo2IO, Fujinet (except Frankenfuji), etc.

Sincerely

Mathy