IGNORED

Coleco Telstar troubleshooting

supercoupe91

Recently picked up a Telstar pong unit and I'd like to get it working. It powers on makes noise, but I can't get a picture. I'm using an av to coax adapter and I've tried replacing the rf cable. Also tried adjusting the pots inside but the best I could get was a flickering in the static. I've also tried reflowing the solder on joints around the rf module but I'm really just spit balling at this point. Some actual direction here would be quite helpful. I should also add that I'm testing on a Crt and haven't even attempted to try on a modern set.

• 4 months later...

I had the same issue with mine, the rf module is shot. I did a composite mod to fix the problem. You dont need anything special to do the mod just solder a couple wires. I hollowed out the rf box and attached the wires inside it so I didnt need to buy a composite jack and used the original rf cable as the video cable so when its all closed up it looks completely original, I will see if I can find a link to the thread with instructions and pictures

Found the thread, it was a different pong console that I had hollowed out the rf box actually. Looks like I just de soldered the jack from the box and soldered it to my wires, plugged the rf cable in and zip tied it to something in the case. You can find what I did with pictures if you scroll down towards the bottom of the thread. Everything will look nice and original when its all closed up and you can plug your rf cable from the console right into the yellow jack on your tv instead of using your adapter to go into the coax jack for a nice clear picture http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251031-composite-mod-coleco-telstar/