IGNORED

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Opry99er

Some more images converted. :) A couple of these new ones turned out very nice!

Very nice, very well done! Now (in the spirit of always wanting more), if you made the program to automatically change images after 10 seconds or so...

... and automatically cycle though all images in the directory...

... so when you make more for us...

... sorry, could not help myself!

Hey! Nice work!

Back in 1989 I bought some of the Star Fleet Technical disks at a computer fair. They're long gone though.

Anyhow you will quickly surpass what was on those.

I made a bitmap mode, proportional font, text-only Starfleet Officer Exam with about 80 multiple choice questions. It doesn't have any pictures. Maybe we could combine things together?

• Like 1

Interestingly, I have written a 25 question TNG trivia quiz for this project as well. :) Some are simple questions, some are a bit more esoteric.

I imagine this project will expand and grow over the next few months... right now it's just me scratching an itch---but it may become something substantial if I can keep my focus. Depending on what form this takes, I think adding your program in to this thing would be awesome! :D

I've been trying to get a good conversion on two pictures I have of a Romulan Warbird. Believe it or not, it's tough to get green and black to render cleanly using the Box filter in standard 9918 bitmap mode. I've also found this same issue with yellow and red (on a picture I have of Data and Spot). There's quite a bit of red bleeding into the yellow, and attempts to adjust the Luma and Gamma yield mixed results... ultimately ending up in me looking for another picture to convert.

Not having a real brown or orange in our palette is interesting.... While I have flawless conversions using the F18 options, standard palette conversions are proving difficult on images which require these colors.

I am enjoying the challenge. :)

Edited by Opry99er

Try reducing the error distribution counts, and/or increasing the percentage of Max Color Shift (always in 1 percent steps, a tiny bit goes a long way). Reducing the values in the error distribution but preserving the ratios will decrease the spread of color error while preserving the pattern (anything that totals less than 16 will discard error. A total greater than 16 will amplify it!) Changing the color shift will let the converter shift the colors closer to the TI palette before it begins converting, it can sometimes help.

The scaling filter mostly just affects how blurry the rescale is. I tend not to adjust that one most of the time.

Try reducing the error distribution counts, and/or increasing the percentage of Max Color Shift (always in 1 percent steps, a tiny bit goes a long way). Reducing the values in the error distribution but preserving the ratios will decrease the spread of color error while preserving the pattern (anything that totals less than 16 will discard error. A total greater than 16 will amplify it!) Changing the color shift will let the converter shift the colors closer to the TI palette before it begins converting, it can sometimes help.

The scaling filter mostly just affects how blurry the rescale is. I tend not to adjust that one most of the time.

On it. I'll see what I can do with this tonight. Thanks!

Yeah, the F18A version can do good things--that Bird of Prey looks nice. I'm sticking with stock consoles for this project though... :)

I've started working with the error distribution a bit more, and I think I'm finding a groove. This style is starting to feel like a winner. I may go back and re-do the Picard and Troi pictures because I think I can get a bit more definition. So far, the ones I feel most comfortable with are Worf, Geordi, Locutus, the second Enterprise pic, and now I'm really digging the look of the Warbird. I like them because they really LOOK like bitmapped 9918 graphics, and the textures feel like home.

post-24953-0-94176200-1548573319.png

post-24953-0-84901600-1548573360.png

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 4