IGNORED

eBay refund denied, now what?

Asaki

I feel like this might be the wrong forum, but I know some of you have been in similar situations...I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote in the eBay Community post:

I am literally at a loss. Normally I would just give up and let it go, but $118 isn't exactly pocket change. Both eBay and Paypal have denied my refund, claiming that the seller provided "valid tracking information". I don't know what they're looking at, but on my end, it shows that a 1.1 pound package was delivered via UPS to the wrong name, in the wrong city, with a fake telephone number (it won't show me the street address). What I ordered is around 45 pounds.

Their feedback profile now shows that over a dozen others have been scammed in the same way, or actually received an empty envelope. How can eBay deny my claim when everyone else has been refunded??? I don't understand, this seems fairly clear-cut to me.

I don't know where to go to from here. The only way to go further seems to be to dial eBay on the telephone, which means I can't show them screenshot evidence, and I'll probably just get a couple hours of runaround and another denial.

I've tried contacting UPS, but their refund page is broken, and it's not exactly their fault that I've been scammed.

Do I have to get in contact with the police, now?? That's really not something I want to do, but I understand that this eBay user has been committing serious crimes.

If you are in the EU you are protected by very strong consumer laws that vary by country. You do have them in the US and Canada as well. Look up consumer law protections and contact them immediately. Also do call the police and report fraud. If you paid by credit card through paypal call them as well. UPS should also carry an investigation. There is no doubt that the package had to be picked up or dropped off. Sorry that this happened.

Their feedback profile now shows that over a dozen others have been scammed in the same way, or actually received an empty envelope.

Take screen shots and save the page from your browser as a webarchive so that you have evidence of other complaints. Show this to ebay because that is surely evidence.

Their feedback profile now shows that over a dozen others have been scammed in the same way, or actually received an empty envelope. How can eBay deny my claim when everyone else has been refunded??? I don't understand, this seems fairly clear-cut to me.

I'm relatively sure that anybody leaving negative feedback has not been refunded. Used to be that if you got a refund you could leave neutral-at-worst feedback. Maybe that's changed.

Call ebay. When you explain the situation to them, they will ask for evidence, and provide you an email to send the relevant screenshots/documents. It may take a few days more and you might need to call them more than once, but if you have legitimate proof of delivery to the wrong address, and no resolution of that - they will have to refund you.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

I feel like this might be the wrong forum, but I know some of you have been in similar situations...I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote in the eBay Community post:

I am literally at a loss. Normally I would just give up and let it go, but $118 isn't exactly pocket change. Both eBay and Paypal have denied my refund, claiming that the seller provided "valid tracking information". I don't know what they're looking at, but on my end, it shows that a 1.1 pound package was delivered via UPS to the wrong name, in the wrong city, with a fake telephone number (it won't show me the street address). What I ordered is around 45 pounds.

I don't know where to go to from here. The only way to go further seems to be to dial eBay on the telephone, which means I can't show them screenshot evidence, and I'll probably just get a couple hours of runaround and another denial.

I've tried contacting UPS, but their refund page is broken, and it's not exactly their fault that I've been scammed.

Do I have to get in contact with the police, now?? That's really not something I want to do, but I understand that this eBay user has been committing serious crimes.

You already know what you need to do. Stop assuming they'll say no and call them. Yes, it will be a hassle and a runaround, but I doubt the scammer on the other end is going to step up and speak into a recorded conversation with ebay customer service. If they still need screenshots after talking to you, they'll ask for them.

I don't understand why you would ask the Ebay community forums (unlikely to be helpful) or us (a ship of fools) before doing the obvious thing. Pick up the phone!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Take screen shots and save the page from your browser as a webarchive so that you have evidence of other complaints. Show this to ebay because that is surely evidence.

I took plenty of screenshots, but haven't archived any of the pages. I might have to do that.

I'm relatively sure that anybody leaving negative feedback has not been refunded. Used to be that if you got a refund you could leave neutral-at-worst feedback. Maybe that's changed.

Hmm, I don't know.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/itemsfinder

I still don't get why you won't call them. How would calling anyone else be any easier?

I don't want to call anyone, I hate making phone calls =/ I was hoping this would be a simple "submit claim, receive refund" like it usually is.

It's maddening, I feel like the messages I sent eBay and Paypal were completely ignored and just handled by robots. Why would they completely ignore the seller's feedback and just automatically assume that I am the scammer??

Call ebay. When you explain the situation to them, they will ask for evidence, and provide you an email to send the relevant screenshots/documents. It may take a few days more and you might need to call them more than once, but if you have legitimate proof of delivery to the wrong address, and no resolution of that - they will have to refund you.

Thanks. I guess I just have to suck it up and do this.

Actually, I just went to look up the number, and re-read this:

If you're unhappy with a decision on a case, you can appeal within 30 days of the case being closed.

You'll need to provide new information in your appeal, which may include:

A copy of your police report

Photos showing the item doesn't match the listing description

Tracking details showing the seller received your return

If you have new information like this and would like to appeal, select Call us.

So I guess I do need to contact the police =/

How do I go about this? Do I just dial 911, or is there a website? Would I be contacting Maryland police, where the seller lives?

Edited by Asaki

Call your local police department. They'll know what to do better than a bunch of strangers on the internet that don't even live in your jurisdiction. Don't tie up a 911 dispatcher with what's not an emergency. Just look them up online and give them a call.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

Actually, I just went to look up the number, and re-read this:

So I guess I do need to contact the police =/

How do I go about this? Do I just dial 911, or is there a website? Would I be contacting Maryland police, where the seller lives?

Find the non-emergency number for your local PD, and call them first. DO NOT call 911.

You're not filing an appeal, you're making a fscking phone call.

eBay Resolution Center:

eBay Customer Support has made a final decision.

The seller provided tracking information that shows the item was delivered to your address.

Final decision:

A refund won't be issued for this case.

If you're not satisfied with this outcome, you can send us an appeal

Clicking on that brings me to this page:

If you're unhappy with a decision on a case, you can appeal within 30 days of the case being closed.

You'll need to provide new information in your appeal, which may include:

A copy of your police report

Photos showing the item doesn't match the listing description

Tracking details showing the seller received your return

If you have new information like this and would like to appeal, select Call us.

I've already filed with the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.

eBay Customer Support has made a final decision.

The seller provided tracking information that shows the item was delivered to your address.

Final decision:

A refund won't be issued for this case.

If you're not satisfied with this outcome, you can send us an appeal

This isn't an appeal, though. As stated, the tracking information does NOT show delivery to YOUR address. The call is to let the bonehead reviewer know about that. So for that you probably will need to talk to a living person rather than a review machine. Normally I'd also believe this is a lost cause, but others in this thread seem to indicate that once you reach a real person you're much more likely to have this resolved than with most Runaround Sues.

• Like 1

This is literally a 5-10 minute phone call. Suck it up, dude! You got this! They also have that increasingly common feature where if there's a wait, they can call you back when you're next in the queue. Doesn't get much easier than that. Seriously though. You're not allowed to reply again in this thread until you call eBay and speak to a human being. ?

• Like 3