IGNORED

hi-res scan of Atari 825 printer print sample needed

santoscork

I can offer print samples from a 1025 printer if needed.

Hi Chad

Thank you for offering, the 1025 didn't even cross my mind! If you want to make a high res scan of the entire character set(s) for that model please do so. I can start a second project after the 825 is done.

If you do want to contribute a scan for the 1025 please do a 1200dpi scan and save as a TIF (you can use LZW compression when saving). I would rather have a lossless scan to ensure I can see everything. You don't have to do any post processing to the scan.

You can email me at santoscork at me dot com.

Thank you for offering.

I have attached a scan of all the various output of an Atari 1025 printer. Unfortunately, my scanner can only go to 600dpi max.

It is interesting to see how different the fonts are for the 1025 compared to the 825. Also, it seems like the 1025 has FEWER options overall compared to the 825. For example, there is no ability to do an underscore and there is no ability to do the proportional fonts. Cost cutting?

Let me know if you would like me to try anything else with my 1025.

(I had to ZIP the TIF because AtariAge does not allow me to upload a TIF.)

Atari1025Sample.zip

• Like 1

For example, there is no ability to do an underscore and there is no ability to do the proportional fonts. Cost cutting?

First and foremost, thank you for the scan. 600 dpi should be good enough.

Without attempting to hijack or morph this post topic to something else, I just wanted to leave a small comment on the underscore character on the 1025. I would be surpised if that were the case. Now, I haven't studied the 1025 in any detail but an underscore is a standard ASCII character.

The underscore character is dec 95, hex 5F, binary 01011111 as per https://www.ascii-code.com

Actaully according to the 1025 Field Service Manual, page 25-26 shows a print sample with not only an underscore but an extended ASCII set.

Did you attach a scan of the entire ASCII and ASCII extended printable character set for the 1025?

Edited by santoscork
  • Like 1

Atari 825 plotter software?

According to https://archive.org/details/ataribooks-free-software-for-your-atari/page/n17?q=%22825+printer%22+sampleit appears that there is a program called PLOT825 which can turn the 825 into a plotter/printer

SCREENPR prints screen to 825 printer.

This would be very interesting software to run if you have an 825.

Unfortunately I can't find it.

• Like 2

First and foremost, thank you for the scan. 600 dpi should be good enough.

Without attempting to hijack or morph this post topic to something else, I just wanted to leave a small comment on the underscore character on the 1025. I would be surpised if that were the case. Now, I haven't studied the 1025 in any detail but an underscore is a standard ASCII character.

The underscore character is dec 95, hex 5F, binary 01011111 as per https://www.ascii-code.com

Actaully according to the 1025 Field Service Manual, page 25-26 shows a print sample with not only an underscore but an extended ASCII set.

Did you attach a scan of the entire ASCII and ASCII extended printable character set for the 1025?

I’m sorry. I meant that there is no way for the 1025 to underline a letter or word like is possible with an 825.

You will see the underscore character included in my attachment.

You will see the underscore character included in my attachment.

I apologize, when I wrote back I had not yet unzipped the file. I wonder if you can underline using a word processing program, if it's true I imagine it would return the crriage to the start of a line and underscore the characters assigned.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I bought a NOS 825 printer, which ended up needing repair because the ribbon drive motor would go backward.  After designing and printing a 3D part to fix it, it's now working, even with the original 40 year old ribbon. 

I don't know if you still need this, but I printed out all the characters in every font and scanned at 1200 dpi.  I also did a set of 10 CPI with underline to show the 9th pin in use.   It's a bit hefty at 42mb.

825Font.thumb.jpeg.5a747491e3d2e76dc90cfc3efe893e67.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I bought a NOS 825 printer, which ended up needing repair because the ribbon drive motor would go backward.  After designing and printing a 3D part to fix it, it's now working, even with the original 40 year old ribbon. 

I don't know if you still need this, but I printed out all the characters in every font and scanned at 1200 dpi.  I also did a set of 10 CPI with underline to show the 9th pin in use.   It's a bit hefty at 42mb.

That's a great scan. I don't remember what I based the font on, but will go check to see. IIRC, I had a partial set from the manual and made up the missing characters. At least I can check my font against this and make corrections if needed.