Kung Fu Combat- REDUX ( 1 or 2 players)

easmith

15 hours ago, chewy said:

oh my dawg, i love the latest build!

Thanks.

This is a graphical hack by KevinMos3.

I really like it .     

Trees are now bonsai.

Sky and Mountain  a bit different and more consistent with title screen.

Remember  game # 5  is skill round practice.    Also playing 2 player game as 1 player helps to practice moves.

Strategy tip .  Try to counter move as much as possible and strike while the opponent is vulnerable .    Punch is worth 3 points but you must be closest ..

• Like 2

Very nice, like seeing this upswing in fighting games on the 2600. :) Control reminds me of Chuck Norris, managed to find a cart of that so I've been playing it again. I'll try KFCR some more on my TV, now that my Harmony cart arrived. ?

The shared colors approach worked well between the fighters and the mixing of objects, you managed to have very little conflict among scanlines even when the players squat or stand, plus they're extending in width very well too which is tough on 2600. Heard some say that genre isn't for the 2600 but I think they're wrong, always hoped more martial arts or melee combat games would come so better late than never.

19 hours ago, BladeJunker said:

Very nice, like seeing this upswing in fighting games on the 2600. :) Control reminds me of Chuck Norris, managed to find a cart of that so I've been playing it again. I'll try KFCR some more on my TV, now that my Harmony cart arrived. ?

The shared colors approach worked well between the fighters and the mixing of objects, you managed to have very little conflict among scanlines even when the players squat or stand, plus they're extending in width very well too which is tough on 2600. Heard some say that genre isn't for the 2600 but I think they're wrong, always hoped more martial arts or melee combat games would come so better late than never.

Thanks ?.  Some of the graphics is thanks to Kevin Mosley who is helping me with some design aspects. 

There is a new game called ninja combat 2600 work in progress that looks a bit more modern and very promising . But for having no enhanced graphics or processing I am pretty happy with the game play .   Inspiration was the international karate championship I used to play on C-64.  It had more moves though even though just a joystick and one button. Might add more if go to 16 K , but that is more work !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, easmith said:

Thanks ?.  Some of the graphics is thanks to Kevin Mosley who is helping me with some design aspects. 

There is a new game called ninja combat 2600 work in progress that looks a bit more modern and very promising . But for having no enhanced graphics or processing I am pretty happy with the game play .   Inspiration was the international karate championship I used to play on C-64.  It had more moves though even though just a joystick and one button. Might add more if go to 16 K , but that is more work !

Can't go wrong with Kevin Mosley enhancements. ?

Yeah been keeping my eye on NC2600, shaping up to be a good fighter with excellent controls. Was speculating myself about Karate Champ since we now have a lot more 2600 twin-stick options around, still not sure why the KC NES port didn't have the option Smash TV had since KC basically doesn't work at all single-stick. ?

Tough call on ROM size now, so many options, I've had ideas that might fit into 2K and others that simply won't heh. Everything is a factor, basically game option menus double the size and gives me a greater appreciation for the console switch matrix. :)

On 2/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, BladeJunker said:

Can't go wrong with Kevin Mosley enhancements. ?

Yeah been keeping my eye on NC2600, shaping up to be a good fighter with excellent controls. Was speculating myself about Karate Champ since we now have a lot more 2600 twin-stick options around, still not sure why the KC NES port didn't have the option Smash TV had since KC basically doesn't work at all single-stick. ?

Tough call on ROM size now, so many options, I've had ideas that might fit into 2K and others that simply won't heh. Everything is a factor, basically game option menus double the size and gives me a greater appreciation for the console switch matrix. :)

went ahead and upgraded to  16 K.    The 5 levels  all with different backgrounds is the plan  . maybe a progress through lair and rescue princess type thing as theme  instead of winning a competition which is current story  .  We'll see .   We should have an update in the next weeks .    

Also I think the 2nd and 3rd opponents are to hard to beat will probably make them a bit slower .

Gonna be called Kung Fu Combat 2 and not REDUX  --  will be a proper sequel  .  

• Like 3