IGNORED

LiteDOS 2.0

mr-atari

Until now, I did not get any bug reports about the usage of LiteDOS itself.

That is after 100+ downloads since version 2.03 is online.

:-)

I did some minor alterations/bug-fixes to supporting tools, like LiteINIT, LiteOFTB and BIOS_files with LiteDOS inside.

Anyhow, I'm happy.

• Like 6

Hi mr-atari, excuse me for the complete noob question...

I have a XEGS running the UNO Cart and the SDrive-Max. I would like to create an .ATR image with your LiteDOS, and possibly utilize it to save some - quite basic - BASIC programs.

Could you give some advice in accomplishing that?

Again, excuse me if I'm asking some stupid question...

Thank You!

Hi mr-atari, excuse me for the complete noob question...

I have a XEGS running the UNO Cart and the SDrive-Max. I would like to create an .ATR image with your LiteDOS, and possibly utilize it to save some - quite basic - BASIC programs.

Could you give some advice in accomplishing that?

Again, excuse me if I'm asking some stupid question...

Thank You!

Just run LiteINIT you can init any empty disk mounted.

Follow the instructions / selections and you are done.

Its just like using DOS 2.5 with the exception that LiteDOS is written to disk always.

So after LiteINIT, your disk is bootable and ready to go.

Here is an example of a program running under LiteDOS 2.03:

Quest for Eternity by Bug Byte. (QFE)

The CAS file can be found e.g. here: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=Q&tg=Quest%20for%20Eternity#Quest%20for%20Eternity

As you can see, the program was originally a tape, a multi-stage Basic tape and it partially overwrites DOS. So how can I load that from diskette ?!? All gamedos versions and bootloaders I know either cannot load multistage files from disk and/or they cannot load Basic files. It's the same with most C-Simulators out there, they cannot load Basic files - except CasDIS (Vervan) or its newer version Multi-Cassette to Disk (Stocksoft). While CasDIS can load multi-stage Basic files (CLOAD and RUN"C:") from disk, it does not work with files that use CLOAD or RUN"C:" in combination with Open"C:"

Of course QFE is such a program, it has two stages in Basic and two data files that are loaded with Open"C:". So even CasDIS did not work. Alright, no gamedos, no bootloader, no C-Simulator will work. How about DOS ? Well, I already said the program partially overwrites DOS. Nevertheless, I copied all files onto a DOS 2.5 diskette and made it autorun... needless to say, the main program gave an Error-2 at line 10 (DIM) and therefore did not work. Hmmm, Error-2, not enough memory it seems, so I need a smaller DOS. LiteDOS to the rescue...

Formatted a disk with LiteDOS, copied all QFE files onto it, changed CLOAD into RUN"D:Filename.EXT" and Open #1,4,128,"C:" into Open #1,4,0,"D:Filename.ext" and then booted the disk...

and after a while...

Error-2 at line 10. Damnit! I still need more memory, so what now ?!? Hmmm, QFE is only a text-adventure, that runs under Atari Basic. But since it is text only, maybe it will also run under TB XL ?!? There is a patched version of TB XL, especially made for use with LiteDOS, giving even more free memory. Next try, formatted a disk with LiteDOS, copied TB XL (patched for LiteDOS) onto it, copied all QFE files onto it and booted...

and after a while...

Success! The program did run fine, the main program loaded the data files and then started as it should. So there we have it. A multistage basic tape program that partially overwrites DOS, now running fine from diskette with LiteDOS and TB XL. Thats good, because I am no programmer and would not have been able to change the QFE program in any other way. Attached you will find: a) QFE_Data.ATR: an ATR image with all four (unchanged) tape parts copied onto diskette, so you can examine them (note, there is no DOS on this image), b) Q_noload.ATR: an ATR image with QFE and DOS 2.5 on it, allthough the disk boots and all C: parts have been changed into D: it still does not work (Error-2 at line 10) and finally c) QFE_Boot.ATR: the bootable version of QFE that runs fine with LiteDOs and TB XL...

While the original tape did run fine with Basic and 48k RAM, this LiteDOS+TB XL diskette version now requires 64k RAM, but therefore it finally runs from diskette...

QFE.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 6

Sijmen,

Regarding our discussing elsewhere about booting from $C000... Is there a .bin version of liteDOS that could be installed into an Eprom and offset to $C000 and loaded from a Newell RAMROD board?

Yes, I can make a binary that is compatible with the Newell "N" OS.

Give me 2-3 days and I p.m. you a version.

The size would be 2k, so in theory, you can install 2k RAM in $C800.

Typing this, Oh wow, then I could direct LiteDOS to install/run there, or use it as buffer-area....

Ah, first question first, back later.

It will be the 2.04 LiteDOS by then.

I got some user replies with comments.

One of them is that the BREAK-key is irritating as possible input on the command-line....

Grtz!

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 5

Great job for this DOS

a query the 16K .ROM files of what kind are they? :? since altirra does not load them.

regards

I think they are not carts, but XL/XE OS ROM replacements... so you should not try to load/install them as carts in Altirra. LiteDOS has a length of approx 2kbytes, therefore it fits perfectly in place of the Selftest... fmp means fast math pack and replaces the mathpack in the XL/XE OS ROM...

But beware, your A8 becomes a computer with built-in DOS then, luckily you don't have to type

LOAD "*",8,1... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Ah, I see...

Yes, they are BIOS rom for XL/XE configuration.

So these files are no cartridges.

When installed as OS (use the firmware manager):

Hold SELECT during power-up when you do not want LiteDOS to be loaded.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

Ah, I see...

Yes, they are BIOS rom for XL/XE configuration.

So these files are no cartridges.

When installed as OS (use the firmware manager):

Hold SELECT during power-up when you do not want LiteDOS to be loaded.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

thank you very much for the clarification, now it works as BIOS in altirra. is very good for Multi-OS projects. I thought it was a cartridge rom to have a DOS :(

regards

Edited by ascrnet

the basic input output system was a way to marry different architectures of machine with a common set of locations for an operating system to call on, it's been hanging around since the cp/m imsai days. The Atari has it's OS on a chip, but can be replaced with external software or rom operating systems. It's interesting to too the different firmware and go-betweens people have come up with over the years. Mostly specific to each device though. Not quite the modular approach Gary developed...

You... ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Yes, I can make a binary that is compatible with the Newell "N" OS.
Give me 2-3 days and I p.m. you a version.
The size would be 2k, so in theory, you can install 2k RAM in $C800.

Typing this, Oh wow, then I could direct LiteDOS to install/run there, or use it as buffer-area....

Ah, first question first, back later.

It will be the 2.04 LiteDOS by then.

I got some user replies with comments.

One of them is that the BREAK-key is irritating as possible input on the command-line....

Grtz!
Sijmen.

• Like 1

You... ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

I think I have something workable....

Screen shot from Altirra in 400/800-mode (I am debugging at the moment)

Holding SELECT on powerup disables the LiteDOS startup.

It also checks for a device R: and download its handler when found.

:-)

The code must be 4k unfortunalely.

The newell-OS uses entry-points ranging from $C000-$C7FF.

So no optional extra 2k RAM possible.

I'll p.m. you later today.

Sijmen.

post-6668-0-71676800-1554112833.png