IGNORED

Interesting Controller Hack

CrazyChris

To be honest I surprised no one in the 5200 community has already been doing this. Early PC controllers used self-centering potentiometer based joysticks for years. Assuming the potentiometer values are the same (or similar) it should just be a matter of wiring up the pots from the PC joystick to the 5200 controller. Actually it should be fairly easy to make a small box that you just plug both controller into. That way you don't have to physically modify an original 5200 controller.

Here's a few common joystick from back in the day that might work:

s-l300.jpgpicture_c912-ibm-ps-1-joystick.jpg

16498519133410da.JPG

To be honest I surprised no one in the 5200 community has already been doing this. Early PC controllers used self-centering potentiometer based joysticks for years. Assuming the potentiometer values are the same (or similar) it should just be a matter of wiring up the pots from the PC joystick to the 5200 controller. Actually it should be fairly easy to make a small box that you just plug both controller into. That way you don't have to physically modify an original 5200 controller.

Bohoki has been selling this type of adapter frequently on the 5200 sub-forum. I posted the schematics for one I made somewhere around here with it's own additional trimming pots and three capacitance ranges for each axis, but I don't have time to make them for selling.

The adapters should be something AtariAge makes and sells maybe? I finally got a hold of a Wico with the keypad box, but that only covers single player games. I also 3d printed the dual-joystick holder and Robotron 2084 and Space Dungeon is a blast with that!

But the adapters should be made somewhere and sold, a good many games are ext3difficult with the standard Joysticks.

s-l300.jpgpicture_c912-ibm-ps-1-joystick.jpg

16498519133410da.JPG

The values are way, way off. Most those old PC joysticks used ~10k pots and the 5200 uses 500k pots. Otherwise, yes, it would be awesome. I played around with an old Apple// stick trying to do this exact same thing but tossed it when I realized it was way more work than it was worth. The pots are not conventional ones as in the 5200 controller either. They are the horizontal sliding types. At least the stick or two I opened where.

P.S. That Tandy joystick is awesome!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, the joys of "Soviet" design aesthetics from Apple II and early IBM PC era analog joysticks...

I cracked a joke about that over in the Apple II Facebook group and sure enough, someone from the [former] Warsaw Pact posted pics of their clunky ["Soviet" looking Apple II] joysticks. :)

Mind you, they also had pics of Atari Jaguar JagPads in the shot so life is obviously 100% better there these days, and ever since the 1990s. :)

Edited by Lynxpro

• 2 years later...

Yep, it's what's generally known as a restrictor plate in the arcade world.  Limits movement to four directions only, as others have pointed out.  There are also 8-way and 2-way restrictors used in some games.

I do like how they were cut from what looks like inch-thick plexiglass at the right camera angle.  They're pretty beefy, I'll give them that.

• 7 months later...

Kinda reminds me of the 4-way 5200 control guide one company came up with, in which was a piece that slides in place to render the joystick to only 4-way directional control for games like Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, and Qix, I used to see ads for them in early issues throughout '83 in Electronic Games magazine.

I tired Googling them up but found nothing, but most of my fellow 50-somethings who are/were Atarians at that time might remember seeing those same ads in other video game mags if not EG.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:53 AM, 0078265317 said:

Self centering? 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, CrazyChris said:

Here's another one sold on eBay today.

large.1333413311_controllermod1.jpg.7dd3f6bf0048538df728ff82675d8700.jpg

large.714134204_controllermod2.jpg.d50d400f45b54e1138af2dfe4e69fe5e.jpg

large.193136336_controllermod3.jpg.02fd3a798105fd2cd3fa78986b534def.jpg

large.369630907_controllermod4.jpg.32915ed30f5c390f939b354437420d12.jpg

large.1248423330_controllermod5.jpg.a0146cd1a018a023b1a6de861956be99.jpg

large.1348432734_controllermod6.jpg.de26fec5f601502284370e024085cf27.jpg

Wondering what those attachments are called? The clear ones and the black ones. Are these available or what? Thanks for any help!

Edited by thegamezmaster

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

I'm thinking it might be for a game like space invaders. Left, Right, and Fire?

Possibly - but what appear to be the same (or similar) switches have also been installed on the unit with the joystick still installed; they're located where the fire buttons normally are.

The one with the three switches where the joystick would normally go has me wondering if it wasn't being used as an external keypad for a non-standard replacement stick.  Those three switches could conceivably be tied to the Start, Pause, and Reset buttons, and, given the condition of the Reset button on that particular controller, makes me think that these could have been a workaround for flex circuit / button damage.