IGNORED

Original Xbox to HDMI adapter...whoa, big difference!

guitarmas

I bought one of these from another AA member. As I've said before, it's not BETTER than a good component cable, but it's sure as hell a lot more convenient. The Monster I was using before had thick ropey cables that felt like I was connecting garden hoses to the back of my television set. Pound's HDMI cable is considerably less bulky, and the picture quality seems roughly equivalent. I'm just glad it draws power directly from the Xbox... some do not, and that always bugs me.

• Like 1

I bought one of these from another AA member. As I've said before, it's not BETTER than a good component cable, but it's sure as hell a lot more convenient. The Monster I was using before had thick ropey cables that felt like I was connecting garden hoses to the back of my television set. Pound's HDMI cable is considerably less bulky, and the picture quality seems roughly equivalent. I'm just glad it draws power directly from the Xbox... some do not, and that always bugs me.

I didn't think about that. I suppose that a good set of ropey Monster component cables will do considerably well. The Pound cable is suppose to draw power from the Xbox, but in my case, it doesn't. I just use a USB cord and connect it to my TV.

I have the Pound and agree with Jess -- Monster cables give better quality video, but the cables are so thick and heavy, you risk knocking stuff off your desk or shelf whenever you move them around. They're like Doc Oc's arms.

Some models of Xbox don't need USB, but others do. Just depends on the version.

• Like 1

OG Xbox cannot output a native digital video signal. Not even the original revision of the Xbox 360 could do that. The Pound adapter is just a component-to-HDMI converter. If you already have an OSSC you have something better, assuming you get nice quality cables. If you don't have an OSSC, this would be potentially worthwhile. There are also Component to HDMI external boxes that do not scale the video and don't even have external memory for a frame buffer, which results in a lag-free solution, although it's currently sold out on Amazon. I paid $22 for it and used it until I got the OSSC (which seems to have less noise in the transcoded video).

For the OP: if you noticed a big difference it's because your TV was mangling the component signal, and it's great you found something you like.

Edited by derFunkenstein

OG Xbox cannot output a native digital video signal. Not even the original revision of the Xbox 360 could do that. The Pound adapter is just a component-to-HDMI converter. If you already have an OSSC you have something better, assuming you get nice quality cables. If you don't have an OSSC, this would be potentially worthwhile. There are also Component to HDMI external boxes that do not scale the video and don't even have external memory for a frame buffer, which results in a lag-free solution, although it's currently sold out on Amazon. I paid $22 for it and used it until I got the OSSC (which seems to have less noise in the transcoded video).

For the OP: if you noticed a big difference it's because your TV was mangling the component signal, and it's great you found something you like.

That may be the case. Good point.

I have the Panorama Xbox HDMI cable from Hyperkin. And it works pretty good. These cheap analog to HDMI converters work best when given a progressive scan widescreen signal. It's when you give them an interlaced 4:3 signal is where you run into problems such as the infamous screen stretching. The Xbox has a distinctive advantage over the PS2 and GameCube. Every game on the Xbox supports the widescreen option even if the playfield doesn't go all the way across and most games can output a minimum of 480p. When using Component Video you are allowed to make global changes in the main system menu in that you can activate all Progressive Scan video modes and the Widescreen option. When all are activated then this will eliminate the annoying screen stretching that is a hallmark of these cheap devices and the Xbox really shines in Progressive Scan which makes for a really nice HDMI signal.

However, the main system screen and a small number of games do not support any kind of Progressive Scan - I have two, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman: Contracts. But, the Panorama does well even in interlaced mode, much to my surprise, even though the contrast is a little off. The contrast issue is due to a couple of filters that are activated in interlaced mode only. If you modded your Xbox you may be able to turn off these filters or even force Progressive Scan for everything. This is probably the best Component Video to HDMI device I have acquired yet.